Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu and diabetes

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Yep I've been down with a dose, felt like death for a few days I dunno if its ever too late to get the jab but as its still only early December I'd suggest not. You don't want to feel as bad as I've done esp in this weather!

Boots (and I presume other pharmacists) are now allowed to administer the jab.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am hoping to get it soon, was personally nervous getting it in the first trimester (also type 1 diabetic among other things), I already had one type of flu the hard way - would not reccomend going through that. Husband already got the flu jab (is in a high risk group (crohns etc)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I hope we all know our sick day rules, yes? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I got the flu jam the first week in november and then came down with a horrible flu about 4 days later ;(

I dont think I got it from the jab or anything like that, Im just annoyed I got sick!!

As for sick day rule ahem..........................Ill remember next time....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

tbh wrote: »
    I hope we all know our sick day rules, yes? ;)
    ? Seem to have missed that tutorial:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same here, someone can elighten us and save us from future embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ok. If you're not feeling well, you test blood glucose and for ketones.

If there are no ketones you carry on as normal, but bear in mind that you may have to give corrections even if you're not eating.

If there are between 1.5 to 3 ketones, you give 10% of TDD* every two hours on top of what you'd do normally.

IF there are more than 3 ketones, you give 20% of TDD* every two hours on top of what you'd do normally.

*TDD: your total daily dose of Insulin from the last day you didn't feel sick.
    For example, if you took 40 QI and 30 Lantus your TDD would be 70.

tbh wrote: »
    ok. If you're not feeling well, you test blood glucose and for ketones.

If there are no ketones you carry on as normal, but bear in mind that you may have to give corrections even if you're not eating.

If there are between 1.5 to 3 ketones, you give 10% of TDD* every two hours on top of what you'd do normally.

IF there are more than 3 ketones, you give 20% of TDD* every two hours on top of what you'd do normally.

*TDD: your total daily dose of Insulin from the last day you didn't feel sick.
    For example, if you took 40 QI and 30 Lantus your TDD would be 70.
    I am not that organised, I just test all the time when I am ill - do not normally test for ketones (maternity hospital check me when I am there), better get the sticks. My bloods are rarely above 10 though and normally below 5.

Am getting the flu jab tonight - am past 13 weeks, still a bit nervous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I am not that organised

Tell me! :p I don't even have a keytones test.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I had an appointment in october to get the jab it was out that week but of course i got a dose of flu the previous friday and it floored me for two weeks but didn't affect my bs levels think 5.8 was the highest,but got the jab a couple of weeks after that kinda have to as i am outdoors a lot with my job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement