Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cata live today

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Was on mmo champion just now and they have a countdown clock for cata, according to that cata goes live tonight at 11pm:eek:

Is this correct? and if you've bought the digital download i presume you will have to log off to download it then log back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its 11:01pm GMT and 12:01am CET.

Think it will download now and just activate at the set time, kinda like Steam does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Cool, thought it was tuesday at 11pm for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

if you buy the digital download you can have it all ready to go at 11pm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, live at 11pm tonight if you've bought and pre-loaded it from the official site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

if the servers dont go kaput :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

TechnoPool wrote: »
    if the servers dont go kaput :o

Pretty much doubt it. I reckon after the last 6 years of keeping millions of ppl playing they will pull this off successfully...

Shougeki wrote: »
    Pretty much doubt it. I reckon after the last 6 years of keeping millions of ppl playing they will pull this off successfully...

blizzards servers have been notoriously crap for a long time , never stopped people playing or paying

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I dont know bout anyone else but the physical copies are available for purchase in Swords anyway.

HMV had plentyful stock at €25, when asked theyt said it was a retail box, not a pre order box, and it was for sale.

Which makes sense, so I'd say you can pick it up today around the place.

But yeah I'm digital myself so ill be rocking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Blizzard probably dont mind as much seeing as the content is locked off till this evening. Also allows people to install and have it ready for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Have the collector's edition ordered from Gamestop which they've told me they'll have in stock tomorrow ;)

Gonna race change my druid to Worgen as soon as it goes live and I'll be ready to go :D

74.99euro for the Collector's edition if anyone's wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

if you bought it digitally is there any way to check that it's fully installed?

if you bought it digitally is there any way to check that it's fully installed?

when you start up the launcher and its not dl'ing anything your good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

weird only seemed like half a gig if i remember correctly

A lot of the content would have already been downloaded for patch 4.0.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

there's a few places doing late night openings tonight in dublin, too cold for me and i have the digi version, but is anyone actually going to the 11pm sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

So,how does it work? Do the severs go down a few mins before 11 to reset?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

bombs away wrote: »
    Have the collector's edition ordered from Gamestop which they've told me they'll have in stock tomorrow ;)

Gonna race change my druid to Worgen as soon as it goes live and I'll be ready to go :D

74.99euro for the Collector's edition if anyone's wondering.
    GAME in dawson st had the CE in stock , but as of 2pm hadnt been given a price on it...mad!
    Swore I'd never preorder from them again after seeing "my" collectors edition of TBC being given to a game employee who sauntered into the ilac center store 2 mins before they opened, while us plebs queued outside.
    "me ..I have a preorder for the collectors editiion" (.I'd paid a deposit on it about 4 months previously)
    them "ahh yeah we didnt get any like"
    Not the end of the world , but annoying as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

GAME in dawson st had the CE in stock , but as of 2pm hadnt been given a price on it...mad!

It's €74.99 in Game and from what I know Dawson st. are doing a midnight launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

great, battle.net is down

Logged in about an hour ago, upgraded to Cata and it worked fine...

Now to go do all the AC dailies and whatever else i can for that extra XP bump....

• Advertisement

battle.net is up but game card management isnt..

In fairness, of course the servers arnt up properly.

Cata launch day, how anyone could be leaving either game purchase or gametime to the last minute, deserves the impending delays :D

Also from experience of all the previous expansions, doing old content stacking quests to hand in, isnt that much of an XP boost.

Stacked 20 quests but when working out the math, totally not worth the time i invested.

I'm just hoping that I can log on tonight and get solid work done. I'm assuming there will be downtime, server drops and restarts, but I'm hoping I can

A) Log onto Outland
    B) get some hours in to get work done

TheDoc wrote: »
    Stacked 20 quests but when working out the math, totally not worth the time i invested.

Stacking some dailies, inc all the AC ones, finish whichever at 11:01, Use the tabard to teleport hand em in, HS to org hand in cooking and fishing.

Reckon 2 mins total.

Then again prob not gonna make much of a difference.

Does anyone know if guild achievs are retroactive - ie could you get some of the XP bonuses?

A) Log onto Outland

I'd start queuing now. Queue is at 900 already.

I'm gonna log in, and explore Azeroth on my flying mounts. The game is too laggy to actually play, so i'll just enjoy the sights. I'm in no rush anyway.

In fairness, of course the servers arnt up properly.

Cata launch day, how anyone could be leaving either game purchase or gametime to the last minute, deserves the impending delays :D

thats bull****, with the amount of time they have had to prepare, the amount of money they have made from subscribers they should be more than capable to work with all the last minute stuff.

if they cant cope on launchday of a new game then theyre even worse than everyone thought

copeyhagen wrote: »
    thats bull****, with the amount of time they have had to prepare, the amount of money they have made from subscribers they should be more than capable to work with all the last minute stuff.

if they cant cope on launchday of a new game then theyre even worse than everyone thought

Well, wtf. Who thinks blizzard arnt good in fairness, their track record is pretty sterling.

But having a few million people bash your servers is going to stress any website or server load.

Also, seriously, this is the games third expansion, by now everyone should have learned lessons on how expansions work.

Blizzard sites are a NO FLY ZONE come game launches, simples.

And kilth I just logged in, home from work, 800th in Q, and it shot me to 500 pretty quickly, and sure even at 11pm I've to alt F4 and reload, but keep my point in the Q, so its grand ;)

I'm just praying for stability tonight, and I'm not that confident going by previous patches and expansions, but with a bit of luck things will go smoothly

Well, wtf. Who thinks blizzard arnt good in fairness, their track record is pretty sterling.
    I'm just praying for stability tonight, and I'm not that confident going by previous patches and expansions, but with a bit of luck things will go smoothly

thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

can't get in!

• Advertisement

same for everyone

Advertisement