Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare bedroom unusable

Options
  • 06-12-2010 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I moved into a two bed house this year, really like the area but one major problem the second bedroom was suppose to be used for my baby however it has two single beds in it which i asked agent to get rid of (in march) hasnt happened LL is a grumpy so and so and i've already had a couple of run ins with him so nervous about asking him and agent whats no more to do with the rental.

As I moved in a hurry didnt notice a couple of other things like the dirt inbeded into the carpets there is no way i can let me little fella crawl on them, the sofa is none usable and the kitchen table is just about ready to fall over and it only has three chairs.

Im gutted really as house is lovely but needs new carpets, a different sofa, kitchen table and the two spare beds to be gone and then I would be happy to rent for life tbh should I lay my cards on the table and say this to the LL or just start looking for somewhere else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Say it to the LL - you've nothing to loose, but you've already moved in, so you're at a distinct disadvantage. Effectivly you're askin the LL to redecorate and he's unlikly to want to spend the money so good luck, you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's a very difficult time for everyone. Landlords don't have money trees so I doubt you're going to get all of that.

If you're happy to rent there for life why don't you buy these things yourself? You're better off because you'll probably get better quality things and they'll suit your own tastes then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...on another note, I fail to see how the bedroom is "unusable", surely the beds could be moved to accodomate a cot?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would definitely buy furniture in this case. In many countries in which people rentfor life they have their own complete set of furniture. You don't want to be relying on whatever the landlord has forever. It's easier to ask him to move the stuff somewhere rather than asking him to buy new stuff. But bear in mind he may not have anywhere to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I have asked for it to be moved and the LL wont do it and the two beds cannot be moved to accommodate a cot the room isnt that big and they are two single divan beds which are wide and bulky also one is broken and is it fair when baby is out of cot to expect him to have a room that you cant move in due to the two beds? I did ask agent when signing lease to get rid of them and it was agreed but he has done a runner since and LL says I never had that conversation with agent :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Can either be dismantled? Ive done this in my current place; dismantled the bed in the spare room, put the matress and the parts of the bed up against the wall which has given me most of the room back. Its not ideal, but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Turn one bed upside down and put it on top of the other, problem solved!

I'm sure if you offer some contribution towards some new carpet the landlord would match, or reduce the rent for a month. Measure the room and call into some if the carpet places, lots sell off cuts or end if rolls, you'll get something very cheap. Also laminate flooring can be picked up dirt cheap in the likes of b&q, you'll do a room for less than €75. in this situation you need to be creative

Turn one bed upside down and put it on top of the other, problem solved!

I'm sure if you offer some contribution towards some new carpet the landlord would match, or reduce the rent for a month. Measure the room and call into some if the carpet places, lots sell off cuts or end if rolls, you'll get something very cheap. Also laminate flooring can be picked up dirt cheap in the likes of b&q, you'll do a room for less than €75. in this situation you need to be creative

To be fair its the landlord who needs to be creative! A tenant is not responsible for replacing a filthy carpet in a rented accomodation, especially if the dirt was from before they moved. The cost of cleaning and repairs of normal wear and tear to a property is not the responsibilty of the tenant, even partially. If the landlord is happy to allow the property to remain in that state then I suggest you find a better property with a better landlord!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

think we will have to move pity liked the area but even by stacking beds on top of one another the room is two small for two single divan beds and a toddler should have a usable room we only moved in here as a one bed apt wasnt suitable to have a child in and now we are in a one bed house :(

the house is over 20years old LL has owed since beginning so his mortgage is well paid off the carpets have been here since the beginning so I think 20years use is very good pity he wont replace them as he says they are fine :eek:

The landlord doesnt sound the most pleasant or competant to be honest. There are plenty of properties out there to rent; assuming youre not tied into a fixed term lease then why would you not move and give your rent money to a landlord who actually cares about you and your kid? This one clearly doesnt.

If you are tied into a fixed term lease then you might have to just pay for the carpet to be cleaned yourself (should cost no more than about €50 if you shop around). Its not fair that you should have to pay it but if its a toss up between cleaning the carpets yourself or having your kid crawl around on a filthy carpet then its not much of a contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

edellc wrote: »
    think we will have to move pity liked the area but even by stacking beds on top of one another the room is two small for two single divan beds and a toddler should have a usable room we only moved in here as a one bed apt wasnt suitable to have a child in and now we are in a one bed house :(

the house is over 20years old LL has owed since beginning so his mortgage is well paid off the carpets have been here since the beginning so I think 20years use is very good pity he wont replace them as he says they are fine :eek:

Sounds like i place I used to be in, when I was a student. The quid pro quo was that the rent was much cheaper than the market rate ro reflect the condition. Eventually got sick of living in a semi-hovel though, and more than anything the attitude off the landlord. Life's too short, just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About the caked in dirt in the carpets, rent a B&Q RugDoctor (or similar elsewhere) and do a few runs over the carpets. It worked for me but then my carpets weren't super dirty.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055707820
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56690657
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055737246

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The Rug Doctor is great, it really lifts the dirt out. That said considering it won't solve the other problems and your landlord doesn't seem to want to resolve them, a move may be a better option, if you're looking long term take your time to find somewhere you are really happy with.

Advertisement