Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst game you've ever attended.

• 06-12-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

As a follow on, they say you always remember the bad.

I was at the West Ham game on Tuesday but didn't get too annoyed for whatever reason. The closest I was to loosing it was when they scored their 3rd as it was looking like we might get it to 2-1 but far from the worst game.

I would hold some Ireland friendlys up there in terms on lack of atmosphere and general pointlessness of the match. Leeds in the FA Cup last year was quickly forgotten.

Obviously number one on the list the losing 4-1 to Liverpool at home.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Liverpool Vs Blackpool this season.

I'll say no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bohs 0-0 longford

Man utd 1-4 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The worst game I was at in terms of football played, which is saying something based on some of what I have watched from Liverpool in recent years, was a Leeds-Southampton game back in the 90's.

Worst game that I was at in terms of how I felt afterwards has to be the game against Arsenal in '89 where they won the league right at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway United 0 - 0 Athlone Town

It was so boring...

Liverpool 0 Utd 1 in Dec 2007 I think.

Tevez :mad:

Anderson for united was immense that day. I've not seen him play a better game since, from the united games I've watched.

Derby match in 09 when Cahill scored in the last minute to sneak a draw. That was a sickener as we were up around at the top of the table but throwing it away with home draws.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Worst game that I was at in terms of how I felt afterwards has to be the game against Arsenal in '89 where they won the league right at the end.

Jaysus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The United v City 50th anniversary of Munich.
    United were terrible, football was terrible, result was terrible, I was in the fcuking family section and City were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I could list a fair few Ireland friendlies from down the years, but the dead rubber against Montenegro in the last qualifying campaign was shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Leeds v Tranmere

2nd February 2008

Gary McAllister's first game in charge of Leeds and we were sitting almost directly behind, lovely seats just 3 rows up, was set to be a good game.

Things started bad with David Prutton on our wing for the 1st half. I can't even remember the half time score but seeing David Prutton for 45 minutes would turn anyone off the game. We were getting excited for the 2nd half as things could only get better. As the 2nd half started David Prutton jogs over to our wing again, they had him switch sides at half time and afaik he played the full 90 minutes, i'd love to puch him. Leeds also lost 2 - 0. The only highlight was seeing Tore Andre Flo in the warm up, and some lad for Tranmere scored a cracker but that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Wimbledon v QPR circa 1988.
    Plough Lane at it's finest on a wet November Saturday afternoon. Wimbledon hit the ball long to their 10ft 7in centre forward called Hercules, not one shot on target, no keeper had a save to make.
    All those people who hark back to the good old days should be made watch a video of this.
    I was wondering why my mate insisted we go to the pub early only way we could watch the game was completly shítfaced!
    Shudders........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A couple of years ago while in Portugal we went to see Sporting Portugal vs Vitoria Setubal.

Started brightly enough when after 10 minutes Sporting got a penalty while the goalkeeper was sent off at the same time.
    Sporting 1-0 up against 10 men, i was hoping for a nice high score.

It turned into the biggest borefest i have ever laid my eyes on.
    With 20 mins or so the Sporting coach even took an attacker off for a defensive midfielder while Setubal was not even trying to go forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Liverpool Vs Blackpool this season.

I'll say no more.

you got to see a great Blackpool performance, didn't the Liverpool fans appluad them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ireland Montenagro last year.

My god, didn't even get tickets for thr French game after all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Waterford United 0 Bray Wanderers 0 during the Cronin era. It was at the time the FAI were promoting a match each week trying to get families to attend, and it was our turn to get the treatment.

Not one single shot in 90 minutes by either side as both teams persisted in hitting long balls to small forwards being marked by 6' 6" centre halves.

Not only did we not get the families to come back, we nearly lost our total fan base that night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

many variations of the terma worst.

for football quality - ireland v cyprus 1-1, montenegro 0-0 and this years argentina game 0-1 was shocking, absolutely shocking.

for united, this years rangers match was terrible, just down right boring and terrible football.

most disappointing and that definition of worst - losing 4-1 to liverpool, though united played well that day, just made 3 awful mistakes for goals and gifted the game away, that was the hardest thing to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

UTD getting beaten by Middelsborugh in old trafford 1 nil about 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

smokedeels wrote: »
    you got to see a great Blackpool performance, didn't the Liverpool fans appluad them?

yeah we did... But as a liverpool fan its the worst game I ever attended.

Its all subjective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers 0-0 Cobh 2008
    Kilkenny City 0-0 Rovers 2006. When France v Spain was on in the World Cup :(
    Rovers 4-6 Bohs
    United 2-1 Liverpool FA Cup 1999
    Dundalk 4-0 Rovers FAI Cup semi final 2002 (?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Under Farrelly's era:

Bohs 0 2 Rovers. Farrelly missing a peno.

Under Kenny I think:
    Bohs 1 3 Pats.

General:
    Bohs 2 1 Fk Riga. Needing to win 3-1 or 2 nil.
    Bohs2 3 Galway.
    Bohs Dundalk cup final.
    Not in terms of quality of football worst just because of what the games meant.
    Thank god the only time I was in Talla was for the setanta cup final wha?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Irish friendlies.

United 1-0 Bursaspor match. Such a dire game. Probably the worst game I've ever been too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

As a leeds fan .

Losing 1-4 to Arsenal in Elland Road , Sept 2001

Losing 3-0 to Watford Playoff final May 2006

Losing (again ) Playoff final (again ) to doncaster 1-0

In general ,

Rovers v Bray in Tallaght earlier this season was pure pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ireland v Montenegro definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

BOHtox wrote: »
    Under Farrelly's era:

Bohs 0 2 Rovers. Farrelly missing a peno.

Under Kenny I think:
    Bohs 1 3 Pats.

General:
    Bohs 2 1 Fk Riga. Needing to win 3-1 or 2 nil.
    Bohs2 3 Galway.
    Bohs Dundalk cup final.
    Not in terms of quality of football worst just because of what the games meant.
    Thank god the only time I was in Talla was for the setanta cup final wha?:)

You could of just stopped the post there, seemed to be a dark cloud over Dalymount every time we played under him.

Interesting video of Farrelly taking a throw in.

Advertisement