Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM speed and choosing the correct type

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

http://elara.ie/products/somemory.asp?available=checked&ECatID3=670707&Desc3=DDR3+SDRAM

There is the list of RAM I am looking at

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-Pro-L650-1CG/1090498/toshibaShop/false/

This is the machine, it has 2GB of DDR ram at 1066Mhz speed, can you tell me if that is likely to be 2 x 1GB of ram?

And should I match the 1066 speed to the other RAM I plan to buy?

I have installed RAM before once on my own but the shop chose it for me, are there compatibilty issues to match beyond ddr3?

Thanks.

http://www.meetgadget.com/gadget/32571/Toshiba+Satellite+Pro+L650-1CG/specs
    About half way down - Ram Memory section, looks like only 2 sockets but doesn't say what in it.

Unless you know that it will take faster than 1066 you should match it. It should downclock to 1066 and you'd be wasting money but there could be compatibility issues. Best to wait until you have it and run the crucial scanner on it.

Your link only takes me to the elara memory listing. Not a particular piece of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That should be the laptop generic ddr3 RAM list on elara.

I have the computer and plan to check tonight if it has 2 sticks(?) of ram installed or one 2GB.

I read up on ddr3 on wikipedia, it has speeds listed with pc3-<number> as a way of denoting different types, what is the idea of the pc3 number?

I'll try to figure out how to test it tonight for the speed, should multiple sticks of ram installed on the same board all match speed wise if I potentially install a 4GB stick and leave in an old piece too.

Thanks.

That should be the laptop generic ddr3 RAM list on elara.

I have the computer and plan to check tonight if it has 2 sticks(?) of ram installed or one 2GB.

I read up on ddr3 on wikipedia, it has speeds listed with pc3-<number> as a way of denoting different types, what is the idea of the pc3 number?

I'll try to figure out how to test it tonight for the speed, should multiple sticks of ram installed on the same board all match speed wise if I potentially install a 4GB stick and leave in an old piece too.

Thanks.

Go to crucial.com and it'll tell you how many are in it. and what ram types are compatible and if pairs are needed or not.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=798B0F0131D926C3&CPE=EMC-RAF

So I have one 2GB and one free slot, would having a 4GB and a 2GB be an issue? And should I match pc3 numbers?

I will have a proper look at the page when I get home, but got in a quick scan just there, any info appreciated, I did notice the page mentioned that paired RAM would be best.

Thanks

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=798B0F0131D926C3&CPE=EMC-RAF

So I have one 2GB and one free slot, would having a 4GB and a 2GB be an issue? And should I match pc3 numbers?

I will have a proper look at the page when I get home, but got in a quick scan just there, any info appreciated, I did notice the page mentioned that paired RAM would be best.

Thanks

Any higher specced ram will just run at slowest ram installed speed.

Paired memory will run in double channel mode which is supposed to be faster.
    But it would usually work with mismatched ram. depends on motherboard really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

PC3-8500 = DDR3-1066 = 533MHz

8500 being the max bandwidth.

I'd be very surprised if its not 2x1gb in there atm.

So basically you'll probably want 2x2gb of PC3-8500 and you can sell on your 2x1gb sticks.

If you go 2x1gb and 1x1gb you may not be able to run them in dual channel.

I'll physically check the RAM tonight thats installed but according to crucial it is one 2GB.

Just looking at my graphics hardware from the Toshiba website;
    Graphics adaptor manufacturer : ATI
    type : ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
    memory : 1,024 MB dedicated VRAM (total available graphics memory using HyperMemory™ technology can be up to 2,267 MB with a 32-bit operating system and 3 GB system memory or 4,083 MB with a 64-bit operating system and 8 GB system memory)
    memory type : DDR3 Video RAM (resp. Video RAM and system memory combined)
    connected bus : PCI Express®

The bit bolded, does that mean the my system can use RAM on the motherboard as GPU ram? If so, would having more ram help with games and so on more than is required by the game itself?

If I were to go for 6GB RAM, would 3+3GB be better than 2+4? I think it would from what you guys have said.
    System memory standard : 2,048 MB
    maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
    technology : DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz)

What would this indicate, 2 x 533 MHz ram sticks? Or might I have 1 x 1066 MHz

Thanks for the patience and help guys, I am learning a lot here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Your graphics card will have a limited amount of VRAM (1GB in this case), by using HyperMemory it will use system memory although it won't be as proficient as the VRAM.

If you increase from 1GB VRAM + 1GB HM to 1GB VRAM + 2GB HM you will notice a small increase in FPS but more so if you want to play at a high resolution. (Unless HM usage has changed dramatically of late, I've been out of the loop for a while...)

Personally I don't think it would be worth spending money on going for 6GB over 4GB if you just want to increase HM.

Like I said before I'd imagine they're using 2 x 1GB as its cheaper and it will be in dual channel mode. A single 2GB stick would be more expensive and would only operate in single channel.

Still crack it open just to be sure, will probably be just 1 or 2 screws.

Its one 2GB samsung ddr3 8500s at 1066 MHz, so I guess I will go for paired chips of this spec, anything to look out for beyond these specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cpuz would tell You what memory is in each slot and what speed they're running at

• Advertisement

I read that off the ram itself, but cpu id says its 533 MHz :confused:

Why is that?

Yes, DDR means double data rate, for 1066Mhz DDR, memory clock is 533Mhz, data rate is 1066Mhz (double it)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM

I think I will match the ram exactly and have it run in two channel mode, seeing as I have a free slot.

Its a 2GB samsung ddr3 8500s at 1066 MHz, would I want a samsung stick again? Is brand an issue when it comes to ram? And where is the best place in ireland to buy it from?

Thanks.

Ideally you'd get a samsung stick.

No idea where you'd get brand specific. Have you looked on Samsung site? Worth a look

I plan to google it later on this evening when I have more time, I imagine it would be best to match brands too if I can. All I'd be asking really is if there is a reccomended retailer to buy from.

Dual channel memory is sold in matched pairs, sell what you got and get a new matched set

http://memoryc.ie/
    Based in Celbridge

Is the current samsung card then not capable of running in dual channel mode?

Is the current samsung card then not capable of running in dual channel mode?

It is, but the chance of You getting a matching single stick is very slim. Ram is sold in pairs from the same silicon, chips from the same batch would match easily and perform almost identically. Not every batch turns out the same.

Ok thanks, I'll get a pair of 2gb ram online then, I'll post up what I find incase any particular brands are to be avoided.

It has an Intel i3 processor, is there any limitation on the speed of ddr3 ram I can get?

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-Pro-L650-1CG/1090498/toshibaShop/false/ This is the machine

• Advertisement

It has an Intel i3 processor, is there any limitation on the speed of ddr3 ram I can get?

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-Pro-L650-1CG/1090498/toshibaShop/false/ This is the machine

This is pretty much my last question before I order some RAM if anyone can answer, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

System memory standard : 2,048 MB
    maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
    technology : DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz)
    So you can get any speed 1066 or above and it will run at 1066.
    It will take up to 8gb so the max you can order is 2 x 4gb
    Something from this page will work well.

I thought that might be a reference to the ram installed, rather than the upper limit for speed.

If that is the case, a pair of ddr 8500 seems to be the best my machine can handle?

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr3-so-dimm.asp#10050

Does this seem like a good deal? The RAM is 1066 mhz as is the currently installed single chip I have, I assume this is perfect as it is ddr3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I have no idea about ram timings, tryed google but its all over my head. Anyone body willing to explain it ? :)

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr3-so-dimm.asp#10050

Does this seem like a good deal? The RAM is 1066 mhz as is the currently installed single chip I have, I assume this is perfect as it is ddr3?

Does anyone have a last minute piece of advice or is the above OK, I'm looking to order this evening, thanks :)

Advertisement