Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ballon d'OR Final 3

• 06-12-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

Messi, Iniesta and Xavi have all been confirmed as the 3 remaining nominee's for the Fifa Ballon d'OR this year.

While i don't find it suprising these palyers have all made it to the final 3 considering theire quality, i do find it a little suprising Sneijder didn't make it in considering the phenomenal year he had.. But thats just me.

Thoughts?

Also the 3 Coaches nominated have been Mourinho, Guardiola and Del Bosque!

Mourinho's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Messi, Iniesta and Xavi have all been confirmed as the 3 remaining nominee's for the Fifa Ballon d'OR this year.

While i don't find it suprising these palyers have all made it to the final 3 considering theire quality, i do find it a little suprising Sneijder didn't make it in considering the phenomenal year he had.. But thats just me.

Thoughts?
    Sneijder and Schweinsteiger should be there instead of 2 of those imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Maybe Sneijder deserved to be in the top 3 but at the expense of whom?

Its a very tough 3 to pick from. Gonna be hard to call but I expect Iniesta to pip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

While Iniesta was brilliant last year, i just didn't think he had a Ballon d'OR winning year, whereas IMO Sneijder did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

farce.

as much as someone could maybe argue that someone else could win the thing, there is no way he did not deserve to be top 3.

such is the, albeit justified, fawning over Messi, i do hope Xavi or Iniesta win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I don't think Iniesta deserves to win it, he was out injured alot during the league season last year, he is a great player but I don't think he should get the award. I would like to see Xavi win it because he has been fantastic for years now. It really seems like the World Cup has a big say on the voting this year but then again people will say that Messi does'nt deserve to be there because of the World Cup (I think he had a good World Cup but the fact he did'nt score will have people thinking different). Messi scored 47 goals last year, that is phenomenal and if he keeps going at the rate he is he should eclipse that this year. I feel bad for Sneijder not making the top three because he had a great year with Inter but if I had a choice of who I'd have in my team he would be behind Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What a joke.

Out of those three, Xavi deserves it IMO. Not having any of the treble winning Inter side in it is ridiculous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

No Sneijder. Unbelievable.

The stand-out performer in a treble winning team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

#15 wrote: »
    No Sneijder. Unbelievable.

The stand-out performer in a treble winning team.

I'd have offered Lucio tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I can imagine they'll give Mourinho the award for manager to give the treble winning team their nod, but to say a manager was solely responsible for a team winning a treble is a little disrespectful to the team! Obviously Mourinho was a massive, massive part of them winning it but Sneijder was the on the field leader and deserves to be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Messi all the way.

Fuck the World Cup, it was pathetic anyway. Xavi and Iniesta didn't play to their potential and struggled in most of their games with the exception against Germany.

Messi was decent in an Argentina side managed by a crackhead, it was the best he could have done IMO.

Every dog and child knows Messi is the best player in the world and this fact shouldn't be derailed by a World Cup.

I hate it when football becomes political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I still stand by Xavi to win it, Sneijder being left out isn't that surprising, Iniesta, Messi and Xavi have been brilliant, while i agree Sneijder has also been brilliant Inter's form so far this season must be the reason he hasn't made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Really hope xavi takes it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Xavi will get it, but Messi should get it once again imo. Neither will be a terrible decision though, and nor would Iniesta, but I tinhk he is the least likely of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If it was based on a season rather than a calendar year, then sneijder would have been up there. He had a good season last year with Inter and a good World Cup. He has been very quiet this season for Inter, which is 5 months out of 12 month year that the award is based on.... The 3 Barca players on the other hand have been outstanding throughout the 12 months.

For me Xavi should win it/deserves it, though I have a feeling that Messi will get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sneijder should be top 3 at least.

I suppose Messi will get it despite others having better years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No Gareth Bale!? Fcuks sake man...

Seriously tho, I think it should be between Xavi, Massi and Sneijder. I really hope Xavi wins it. Cant decide the managers award. A WC win really is the pinnacle of anyone's career but Jose did an unbelievable job too. Thought Van Gaal should be there too instead of Gaurdiola. Only difference between him and Jose was the CL loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is this the first time the top 3 have all played for the same side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sneijder should be top 3 at least.

I suppose Messi will get it despite others having better years
    Messi has been better than anyone this year:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

#15 wrote: »
    Messi has been better than anyone this year:confused:

I think Sneijder has had a better year than him for club and country

I think Xavi has had a better year than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The messi backlash is a little silly. He is head and shoulders above the rest of the world and constantly proves it each season yet people make snide remarks that they will give it to him for just being popular. Its absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Three players from the same team when another team won the treble last year just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Three players from the same team when another team won the treble last year just doesn't make sense.

The Italian cup is practically meaningless. A World Cup and a record setting league title win trumps that, as far as i'm concerned. Also, it's judged on a calendar year as far as i'm aware and Sneijder has fallen off the pace lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Sneijder not being there is criminal. BTW I think Xavi should get it, he had a great league year and great world cup.

Oh, and for the coaches, Mourinho FTW!!! Not letting the Special One have it is pure blasphemy ;)

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The Italian cup is practically meaningless. A World Cup and a record setting league title win trumps that, as far as i'm concerned. Also, it's judged on a calendar year as far as i'm aware and Sneijder has fallen off the pace lately.

You completely disregarded the other two titles Inter won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I do think Sneijder should be there ahead of one of them, probably Iniesta. However, don't forget how well that Barca played last year. Winning the league with 99 points, which I'd say is safe to say the highest of any team in a top tier league in the past 40 years. Losing only once, dropping only 4 points at home all season. People will talk about how weak La Liga is due to the big 2, and while I agree with the sentiment, it's not because teams 3 - 20 are bad, they are just nowhere near the current Barcelona or Real Madrid teams.

Messi was the best performer, Iniesta impressed the most at the WC, and Xavi is like the middle ground between the two. I'd love to see Xavi win it, but I think it'll be Iniesta.

Mourinho will get the manager award, especially considering how hopeless Inter have been without him this season...

You completely disregarded the other two titles Inter won.

Sorry i worded it badly. A world cup and Spanish league title trumps the other two Sneijder won, as far as i'm concerned, and Messi has been head and shoulders above any other player in the last 12 months, clearly the best player in the world, so it's only fair he makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    it's judged on a calendar year as far as i'm aware
    You're right.

But sadly, people keep ignoring this.

Also, I'll get crucified for saying this but I think Sneijder, while excellent, got slightly overrated at times last year. Inter's treble win was in many ways the ultimate team effort, from management through to all areas on the pitch. Lucio and Milito being left out of the long list for this award was criminal but it's a pretty close call between Sneijder and Xavi / Iniesta for the final 3 and I can understand that he'd get left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I can imagine they'll give Mourinho the award for manager to give the treble winning team their nod, but to say a manager was solely responsible for a team winning a treble is a little disrespectful to the team! Obviously Mourinho was a massive, massive part of them winning it but Sneijder was the on the field leader and deserves to be there!

Lets face it though, Inter would never have won the CL if Mourinho had not been manager. They would have never gotten past Barca. He is barely gone and already Rafa has them a shambles.

If it was for last season including the WC, Sneijder should win this but since it is for the calendar year, well the trio selected are valid options. Messi is at the top of his game and is clearly the best player in the World. Xavi is arguably the best midfielder in the World and Iniesta would be in the top 3 midfielders in the World. All in all good choices especially with Spain winning the WC, which is the biggest tournament of them all. I would like to see Xavi win it as Messi will probably win it for the next 10 years anyways.

Messi

2009-2010 47 goals 14 assists
    2010-present 25 goals 12 assists
    World cup - 0 goals 1 assist

Total - 72 goals 25 assists

Wesley Sneijder:

2009-2010 8 goals 12 assists
    2010-present 2 goals 3 assists
    World Cup 5 goals 1 assist

Total 15 goals 16 assists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Messi accomplished less than Sneijder last year when you think about it. Hell, Diego Milito should be in the top 3 as well. But I guess because they aren't Barca or from the Premiership their accomplishments don't count as much :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd have offered Lucio tbh.

Most Inter fans and people who watch Italian footie would tell you that Walter Samuel was a lot better than Lucio last season and far more important.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Most Inter fans and people who watch Italian footie would tell you that Walter Samuel was a lot better than Lucio last season and far more important.

Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rossie1977 wrote: »
    1. messi
    2. xavi
    3. iniesta

the rest

i did say so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Sneijder really annoys me for some reason, glad he's not in it. :D

Xavi just about beats Messi to the World Soccer Magazine award. I wonder is it a sign of things to come?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16122010/58/la-liga-xavi-wins-world-soccer-award.html

When is the winner of the ballon d'or decided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Messi should win it. Xavi should be in the final 3 but Iniesta should not imo and Sneijder should. Iniesta wouldn't even make my top 10.

It seems incredible to me that anyone other than the man who was clearly the best player in the world over the last 12 months should win the WPOTY award. Messi is quite clearly the best player on the planet right now, head and shoulders above anybody else.

I guess it depends on the criteria, if they are looking for a great player that has had great success over the last 12 months then it has to be Xavi, and i certainly wouldn't begrudge him it, but as great as he has been, he was not the best player in the world over the last 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

You could make an argument for any 3 but I hope that Xavi gets it seeing as it would be possibly one of his last chances to get it and Messi could probablly go on to win it every year for the next 10 years if things go his way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sneijder is overrated.

He won lots last year but people are only mentioning him here based on his CL performances in the last couple of rounds.

A great player no doubt but not the world's best, but then neither is Iniesta.

I'd love to see Xavi get it. I mean if you're not going to give it to a CMF now, then will it ever be possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gosplan wrote: »
    Sneijder is overrated.

He won lots last year but people are only mentioning him here based on his CL performances in the last couple of rounds.

A great player no doubt but not the world's best, but then neither is Iniesta.

I'd love to see Xavi get it. I mean if you're not going to give it to a CMF now, then will it ever be possible?
    I think everybody seen his World Cup performances too and plenty seen him playing in Serie A last season too and he was great in most games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Warper wrote: »
    Lets face it though, Inter would never have won the CL if Mourinho had not been manager. They would have never gotten past Barca. He is barely gone and already Rafa has them a shambles.

Had Bojan's goal counted, I don't think Sneijder would be anywhere near the list. Had Iniesta not scored the winner, he would've probably not been on the list. Those two have dubious claims to be in the final three. I'd probably put Milito ahead of the two.

Xavi and Messi have to be there, one of them should get the award, whether either of the other two are. Preferably Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

hope iniesta gets it , i cant stand messi , he turns into a little thug as soon as a player goes in hard , like wtf you cant tackle me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

almanu wrote: »
    hope iniesta gets it , i cant stand messi , he turns into a little thug as soon as a player goes in hard , like wtf you cant tackle me .

He must get sent off every 5 minutes so...oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Is this the first time the top 3 have all played for the same side?
    nope happened before. Milan and pretty simialr circumstances too. '88 Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkard same club, same country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

L'prof wrote: »
    He must get sent off every 5 minutes so...oh wait...
    i wonder if thats because he,s moaning to the ref me thinks ,also ref,s are not too quick to book him as he is well messi, just an observation .
    kaka is the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Messi for me. No Kevin Kilbane wtf?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

MOG7 wrote: »
    Reading the article will answer your question for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Reading the article will answer your question for you.

HA! Id discounted the article, not even read it, as i knew it wasnt announced until January. World soccer player of the year... It just sounds wrong!

Winner will be known tonight. I'm still tore between my head and my heart on this one, my head says Messi but my heart says Xavi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement