Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ballon d'OR Final 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Hard to believe Michael Owen won this back in 2001:eek:
    Messi should and will get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Xavi and Mourinho to scoop the awards. What time will they be announced at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It's live on Eurosport if you have it.

Messi has won the Ballon D'or.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

So Messi has won it. Not really too surprising.

Dam.... That was probably Xavi's last chance to win it so.. Always thought Messi was going to win it since they put Iniesta in ahead of Sneijder, thought they were compensating Sapin for there WC win.

I'm actually out, any word on the coaches award yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Any of the three were perfect candidates so fair play Messi.

THFC wrote: »
    Dam.... That was probably Xavi's last chance to win it so.. Always thought Messi was going to win it since they put Iniesta in ahead of Sneijder, thought they were compensating Sapin for there WC loss.

I'm actually out, any word on the coaches award yet??

Mourinho got it as far as i know, he was up on the stage at the end so i presume he won it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The dream team is a joke...
    How the hell is Villa in it, he did exactly what last year?
    Also, Puyol is a donkey, I don't care what the Carca fanboys say, he is barca's worst player by a long way.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The dream team is a joke...
    How the hell is Villa in it, he did exactly what last year?

Villa, 28 goals in the 09/10 season with Valencia and 14 so far this season with Barca, plus joint top goal scorer at the World Cup, doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure out why he's in the team.

• Advertisement

Will some one name the team there please? Wasn't it voted by the public anyways??

Casillas

Maicon - Pique - Lucio - Puyol

Xavi - Sneijder - Iniesta

C. Ronaldo - Villa - Messi

MOG7 wrote: »
    Villa, 28 goals in the 09/10 season with Valencia and 14 so far this season with Barca, plus joint top goal scorer at the World Cup, doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure out why he's in the team.

So it's the world cup performance?

Still doesn't explain how Puyol is in it.

I would presume David Villa's WC performances clinched it for him more than anything yes.

On Puyol and speaking as a Barca follower and knowing how good he really is i am kind of surprised he is there, i'm not so sure the positions mean a whole lot as there is not a hope he is the best LB in the world. Is he one of the top 4 defenders in the world though? Who else would you have ahead of him on that team?

MOG7 wrote: »
    Who else would you have ahead of him on that team?

In the CB position?

Just for starters....

Pique, Lucio, Samuel, Carvalho, Juan, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Vidic, Chiellini, Terry, Kompany...

They will do for now.

I'd even have Gabby Milito ahead of him. He's a much better CB, kept out of the Barca team for the same reason Yaya was last season, and it has nothing to do with the ability of the players who were playing ahead of them.

In the CB position?

Just for starters....

Pique, Lucio, Samuel, Carvalho, Juan, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Vidic, Chiellini, Terry, Kompany...

They will do for now.

I'd even have Gabby Milito ahead of him. He's a much better CB, kept out of the Barca team for the same reason Yaya was last season, and it has nothing to do with the ability of the players who were playing ahead of them.

Going on that list of defenders bar the 2 on your list that did make the team Samuel is the only one i reckon could have had a chance of making the team ahead of Puyol imo. Puyol is a top defender and deserves his place on that team, Gabby Milito has barely played all year so there is no real reason why he could make the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

:confused:

Puyol is immense. Heart and soul of that team. More important than Pique IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

In the CB position?

Just for starters....

Carvalho may have been ahead of him a few years ago, not anymore. By a long shot. Puyol is 100x better defender than Terry. I would have to disagree about Kompany as well. I do not know enough about the others to comment.

Having him at LB seems to be just fitting him in for the sake of it though. I honestly think that peoples opinions on Puyol are extremely wrong though. He is an absolutely fantastic organiser and reader of the game, and there are few better tacklers out there. A great player and a great captain.

This is simply not the case, and your assertion is incorrect. Milito has been blighted by injury for nigh on 3 years, he has never really recovered IMO from the bad one suffered at OT. In that time Pique and Puyol have developed a near telepathic understanding, and I can see no reason why to break that up. I like Milito alot as a player, but he is not a better defender than either Puyol or Pique.

The reason why Yaya was frozen out was in a very big part down to his agent acting the jackass for a long time. Pep does not suffer agents or fools, and Toure suffered as a result of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What is everybody's problem with Puyol? I really don't understand how people don't see him as one of the best in the world. Will someone please explain the hatred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You are talking out your arse on both counts. Its consistent goalscoring for Villa and being one of the best defenders in world football for Puyol.

You'd have put Terry ahead of him? Based on last year? Really?? Wow..

Based on reality land, where I live.
    Puyol is slow. Bad in the air, brainless and reckless.
    On top of that he can't pass 20 yards off either foot.

Champions league final against Arsenal is a perfect example, first few minutes of the game he should have been sent off. His pace, position and reading of the game were insanely exposed by Henry and he made a stupid last ditch tackle, chopped Henry down and was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Calling him one of the best defender in the world is an absolute joke.
    He's always been lucky to have his arse covered by the player beside him. Now he has the pace, height and ball playign ability of Pique beside to make up for his short commings he gets away with it.

• Advertisement

^ In reality land, where you live, a poor centre half would be exposed time and again in a top class team in top class competition. This has not happened to Puyol. He has captained 2 CL winning sides in the space of 3 years and has won everything that he can possibly have won as a player for club and country.

If he was lucky, or poor, he would have been found out long before now.

Funny you mention his CL final where Henry did cause him serious bother at the start, did you see how he had CR7 in his pocket in the 2009 CL final, or where he had the smae player in his pocket in the Clasico last season? Did you see how he made David Villa look average for Valencia last season?

Opinions are one thing, but they fall flat when they are wrong. You may not like him as a centre half, but to say he is a poor one is just wrong. His achievements back him up all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Puyol's pretty good but I don't think he's world class. John Terry's form last season did not merit inclusion.

I know it's fairly biased considering who I support, but I'd consider Vidic a much better option at centre back than both, barring two nightmares against Torres, he's always performed admirably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Still think that not only Sneijder should have been in the top 3, but should have won it. Dragged his team to the CL victory and dragged his team to the finals of the World Cup. Messi could do neither. Iniesta is, imo, the reason why Barca went out of the CL, he is the ultimate big game player and the reason why Spain won the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

PHB wrote: »
    Still think that not only Sneijder should have been in the top 3, but should have won it. Dragged his team to the CL victory and dragged his team to the finals of the World Cup. Messi could do neither. Iniesta is, imo, the reason why Barca went out of the CL, he is the ultimate big game player and the reason why Spain won the World Cup.

Grab a hold of yourself. It was hardly reminiscent of Platini 84 or Maradona 86.

"Dragged". lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

[QUOTE=ToiletFusion;70005279]Puyol's pretty good but I don't think he's world class. John Terry's form last season did not merit inclusion.

I know it's fairly biased considering who I support, but I'd consider Vidic a much better option at centre back than both, barring two nightmares against Torres, he's always performed admirably.[/QUOTE]

So despite playing almost every minute in winning the WC, winning the Euros and two Champions Leagues you still think he's not World Class. I can't think of any player who is not World Class to do this. He is 100% a world class player.
    Vidic is not fit to shine Puyol's boots

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PHB wrote: »

Is that not a blatant contradiction? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

gimmick wrote: »
    did you see how he had CR7 in his pocket in the 2009 CL final,

Agree with the rest of your post gimmick, Puyol is one of the best around.

The bit about Ronaldo is inaccurate though.

Puyol had an excellent game in the CL 09 final, but he was up against Rooney for most of it, not Ronaldo.

I still have nightmares about all the long passes Carrick played to Rooney on the left wing - pretty much all of them eaten up by Puyol.
    srfc19 wrote:
    Vidic is not fit to shine Puyol's boots

That's a massive pile of bollocks

The real question after last night is how many years in a row will Messi win it. 10, 12?? Can't see anyone even coming close to him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Puyol gets away with alot at Barcelona because of his catalan background and his personality. He is a good defender but nowhere near world class.

Messi shouldnt have won that award imo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

THFC wrote: »
    The real question after last night is how many years in a row will Messi win it. 10, 12?? Can't see anyone even coming close to him at this stage.

Based on the current season it is going to be either him or Ronaldo again next year, and it would be hard to argue really. If neither get injured, it is too close to call at the moment, although I personally think Messi is the better player to watch by far, but both are definitely 1 and 2 in the world at the moment by a distance I reckon.

• Advertisement

^ If that were the case Oleguer would be player manager at this stage and future club president. A personality and background will only get you so far.

I actually have no problem with Messi winning the award. I personally feel Xavi deserved it more but it's much of a muchness.

But seriously, regarding Puyol, take off the "Més que un club" tinted glasses and admit the man is, by far, the weakest player in the Barca first team and has been his entire career. He's there because of who he is, not how good he is. Barca have a history of this form of nationalistic pseudo-nepotism.

All your claims that Yaya Toure was dropped because of his agent are a load of bollocks. His agent only started being a factor after he was dropped, not before. He was dropped in place of an inferior player because of who that inferior player is, how his father is and where he was born.

Charles Puyol is an average centre back, he isn't world class, never has been and never will be.
    He was an average right back who's lack of pace meant he was shifted into the middle to cover his short coming who since being moved there has been lucky to have had his arse wiped for him by genuinely world class players beside him.

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ If that were the case Oleguer would be player manager at this stage and future club president. A personality and background will only get you so far.

Fact is that Puyol is a better player than Oleguer and it was easy to see that but to describe Puyol anywhere near world class is laughable. He does get away with alot because of his background, you think he doesnt??

Stick Richard Dunne in the Barcelona team and he'd do the same job as Puyol, difference is the Barca fans would be on his back when he ****s up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I actually have no problem with Messi winning the award. I personally feel Xavi deserved it more but it's much of a muchness.

But seriously, regarding Puyol, take off the "Més que un club" tinted glasses and admit the man is, by far, the weakest player in the Barca first team and has been his entire career. He's there because of who he is, not how good he is. Barca have a history of this form of nationalistic pseudo-nepotism.

All your claims that Yaya Toure was dropped because of his agent are a load of bollocks. His agent only started being a factor after he was dropped, not before. He was dropped in place of an inferior player because of who that inferior player is, how his father is and where he was born.

Charles Puyol is an average centre back, he isn't world class, never has been and never will be.
    He was an average right back who's lack of pace meant he was shifted into the middle to cover his short coming who since being moved there has been lucky to have had his arse wiped for him by genuinely world class players beside him.

Platini and Blatter must be closet Cules?

Come off it. Players dont win this amount of individual honours for being 'average'.

Puyol Honours
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
    UEFA Club Best Defender: 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008
    UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament
    FIFA Team of the Year: 2008
    FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament: 2009
    FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If Puyol was only at Barcelona because he is Catalan - doesn't explain how he's been an ever present in the Spanish team for the best part of a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry I utterly agree with Seanah. He is a good defender. Would make it comfortably into most top 8 sides. However, for me, Pique is a significantly, significantly better player. Beyond that, he plays in a team that averages a huge percentage of possession, and plays in a team that defends right throughout the team better than any attacking team I've ever seen. He is, like Terry was with Makelele in front of him, protected. In another team, he wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

Anyone remember the days of Puyol and Marquez? Different player then. He works well in a good team.

Pique is one of the best defenders in Europe though.

redout wrote: »
    Platini and Blatter must be closet Cules?

Come off it. Players dont win this amount of individual honours for being 'average'.

Puyol Honours
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009
    UEFA Club Best Defender: 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008
    UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament
    FIFA Team of the Year: 2008
    FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament: 2009
    FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2010

Michael Owen won the Ballon d'or.
    Awards mean feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Michael Owen won the Ballon d'or.
    Awards mean feck all.

If you consider recognition by your peers and former players in some instances to mean fcuk all then there aint much point in discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dempsey wrote: »
    Fact is that Puyol is a better player than Oleguer and it was easy to see that but to describe Puyol anywhere near world class is laughable. He does get away with alot because of his background, you think he doesnt??

Stick Richard Dunne in the Barcelona team and he'd do the same job as Puyol, difference is the Barca fans would be on his back when he ****s up.

Are you honestly joking? Do you really think Richard Dunne would get anywhere near the Camp Nou?

What some people forget is how good Puyol is as a footballer, not just a defender. Which every player at Barca has to be.

I'd love if this discussion was about Roy Keane and see how different opinions are. Puyol captained a team that has won 2 CLs and multiple other titles. He wasn't just filling in the numbers.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    If you consider recognition by your peers and former players in some instances to mean fcuk all then there aint much point in discussing it.

UEFA team of the year, FIFPRO awards and now the FIFA world player of the year/Ballon D#or award are a popularity contest, they stopped being about actual ability a long time ago, the amount of times Beckham was in the final 3 for the WPOTY and Ballon d'or over tha last 15 years proves that.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are you honestly joking? Do you really think Richard Dunne would get anywhere near the Camp Nou?

Did I say he would? Do you understand what a hypothetical situation is?

Did I say he would? Do you understand what a hypothetical situation is?

Yes I do, you're saying Richard Dunne is as good a footballer as Carles Puyol?

Again, joking I presume?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yes I do, you're saying Richard Dunne is as good a footballer as Carles Puyol?

Again, joking I presume?

I think he could look as good as Puyol given the array of talent that Barca has. I think Darren Gibson could look like Xavi if you threw him into their midfield

I think he could look as good as Puyol given the array of talent that Barca has. I think Darren Gibson could look like Xavi if you threw him into their midfield

:eek:

:confused:

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think Darren Gibson could look like Xavi if you threw him into their midfield

we've officially descended into farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

any football award nowadays has to be taken with a pinch of salt if you ask me , fifa is been run by profiteers now in blatter and platini , i wouldnt be suprised if a saudi player gets it next year . :eek:

I genuinely lol'd for about a minute..!
    Bravo sir, post of the year nominee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If the Barcelona midfield happened to be an incinerator, as a Man Utd fan I would gladly throw Darren Gibson into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Dempsey was actually doing OK there for a while and all.:pac:

Its quite disturbing that the Gibson comment has to be pointed out as sarcasm because I think some of you actually thought I was being serious.

Yes, I am being serious when I say that Puyol is no better than Richard Dunne. He doesnt get shown up regularly because his teammates are excellent at controlling possession and are on the front foot in most matches. But when they are under pressure and he enivatably is caught out, the fans dont jump on his back because he is catalan.

Only Barca fanboys will argue that he should be on a Ballon D'Or shortlist ahead or at the expense of players like Samuel or Lucio, players who were actually key to their teams success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement