Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Camper insurance- under 25

• 06-12-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere I can get camper insurance. I'm 22 and have my full licence 4 years, although I've never been on my own policy, only named driver experience. I've rang Dolmen and motorvanclub and they won't touch me because I'm under 25. I'm now waiting for Stuart to ring me back.

If they don't quote me though, I'm fecked. My van's coming in from South Africa in April.

Is there any other companies out there that might insure me?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

if its a type2
    you may get classic insurance
    other than that post here for advice
    http://www.type2ireland.org/forum/index.php

Go to germany. Get the van there. Insure and tax it there (much, much cheaper). You will have to take it back once a year though to get it DOE'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

how did this go for you op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Go to germany. Get the van there. Insure and tax it there (much, much cheaper). You will have to take it back once a year though to get it DOE'd.

Is this legal, can customs not do you for not registering it in Ireland since you are permanently resident here?

I am in the same boat as the OP and don't understand how I am currently insured in a my day to day BMW but amn't even considered for insurance on a T25???

Anyone know any other way possible to get insured or has the OP an update???

Renting a camper under 25 is out of the question anyway . . . . .

• Advertisement

YourName wrote: »
    Is this legal, can customs not do you for not registering it in Ireland since you are permanently resident here?

I am in the same boat as the OP and don't understand how I am currently insured in a my day to day BMW but amn't even considered for insurance on a T25???

Going through a Motorhome club may be another option, also most insurance companies should let you on the policy as a named driver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

I ended up contacting Stuarts but I'm going to have to go as a named driver as, again, I need to be over 25, which is stupid rule in my opinion and also ageist. I'm not exactly going to be going mad in a 72" camper anyway. Anyway, I just have to contact them when it come in and it should be grand.

@stevire - I'm getting a 72" early bay conversion with a new high top put onto it. I can't wait to get it!!

Also rang a motorhome club and they basically stopped listening when I said 22.

I think this is the best option anyway, I'll update when the van comes in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

meercat wrote: »
    if its a type2
    you may get classic insurance
    other than that post here for advice
    http://www.type2ireland.org/forum/index.php
    did you try here
    can you get classic insurance

Yeah I was on that and no one replied unfortunately.

I didn't think I could get classic insurance because it will be used as a camper though? It would be great if i'm though. I think i'll try axa for classic tomorrow then and also travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

sexpot wrote: »
    I need to be over 25, which is stupid rule in my opinion and also ageist.

The age 25 cutoff idea seems to go back to the 1930s. While the actual age 25 may be arbitrary you can understand the reluctance to cover young drivers. However they should at least quote an exorbitant fee for cover.

From aa:
    1. 1 in 5 drivers are involved in a crash during their first year on the road
    2. male drivers aged under 21 are 10 times more likely to have a car accident than male drivers aged 35 or over
    3. young drivers have a higher proportion of crashes at night than older drivers
    4. 1 in 8 British drivers are under 25, but a quarter of drivers who die in traffic collisions are in this age group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

had a camper insured once and up to 4 named drives could drive it.

So try having someone else insure it and name you as a driver.

I didn't think I could get classic insurance because it will be used as a camper though? It would be great if i'm though. I think i'll try axa for classic tomorrow then and also travellers

I could be wrong, but I thought classic insurance was for over 25s aswell.
    paddyp wrote: »
    The age 25 cutoff idea seems to go back to the 1930s. While the actual age 25 may be arbitrary you can understand the reluctance to cover young drivers. However they should at least quote an exorbitant fee for cover.

From aa:
    1. 1 in 5 drivers are involved in a crash during their first year on the road
    2. male drivers aged under 21 are 10 times more likely to have a car accident than male drivers aged 35 or over
    3. young drivers have a higher proportion of crashes at night than older drivers
    4. 1 in 8 British drivers are under 25, but a quarter of drivers who die in traffic collisions are in this age group

Agreed that the 25 age limit is silly, I accept those stats but in terms of a campervan driver I can't see any of those statistics applying to a driver under 25.

There really are some silly laws/conditions around the whole area of campervans like classification/insurance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

stevire wrote: »
    Agreed that the 25 age limit is silly, I accept those stats but in terms of a campervan driver I can't see any of those statistics applying to a driver under 25.

There really are some silly laws/conditions around the whole area of campervans like classification/insurance etc.

Regardless, yes these stats are proven, but why am I allowed to drive a car wih more power and value than a camper, but I am point blank refused a quote, that makes no sense, whats so special about campers that under 25's or even under 21's are not allowed drive them, even though they are fully licenced.

I could be wrong, but I thought classic insurance was for over 25s aswell.

Yeah i think I can get classic insurance, I'm just wondering whether I can insure the camper under classic insurance because of the bed, gas hob, gas fridge etc being in it. I haven't got a chance to ring axa but I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow.

I wonder could something be done by the Ombudsman on the under 25's stance?

I know under 25's are by in large the target group for large excesses etc. from insurance companies. But insurance companies can make exceptions in certain circumstance and I feel a campervan, especially one that is a 72' that is probably barely capable of 70 km/h, should be an exception to this group for drivers.

YourName wrote: »

I'm not sure. My van's an Irish reg. I have a friend who's 22 who's gone the german route. He's not had a problem ever with customs. Most motorhome policies cover 365 day europian travel which you can argue against residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yeah i think I can get classic insurance, I'm just wondering whether I can insure the camper under classic insurance because of the bed, gas hob, gas fridge etc being in it. I haven't got a chance to ring axa but I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow.

I wonder could something be done by the Ombudsman on the under 25's stance?

I know under 25's are by in large the target group for large excesses etc. from insurance companies. But insurance companies can make exceptions in certain circumstance and I feel a campervan, especially one that is a 72' that is probably barely capable of 70 km/h, should be an exception to this group for drivers.

From the sound of it your can is your only transport - you don't have a car?

Do you have any driving record, no claims bounus....

So see it from their side, I get cheap insurance because I don't drive my van every day. I've a car as well. Then you are you and more likely to take risks. What's to stop you taking 3 friends in the back with no seat belts. The van is old so the breaks are crap, it's no designed to keep passangers safe in a crash. What if you have an accident with 3 friends in the back.....

Before I even got my first car I'd checked I could get insured.

You might not get any. Or you might have to suck it up and get private insurance. Most people here are older and drive motor homes are more modern campers. The best place for you to go is type2ireland or the volksfolks they have youger members and drive old vans like yours they'll have seen this before.

So see it from their side, I get cheap insurance because I don't drive my van every day. I've a car as well. Then you are you and more likely to take risks. What's to stop you taking 3 friends in the back with no seat belts. The van is old so the breaks are crap, it's no designed to keep passangers safe in a crash. What if you have an accident with 3 friends in the back.....

Most insurance companies require an Engineers report and with the NCT coming in I don't see mechanically how an older camper can differ from a an older van. The above scenario can and does happen when young drivers are insured in commercial vehicles. I don't see why there should be a differentiation in a camper to a van for young drivers?

I'd go as far to say that a camper is less of a risk for an insurance company for < 25 than a commercial vehicle would be.

Before I even got my first car I'd checked I could get insured.

You might not get any. Or you might have to suck it up and get private insurance. Most people here are older and drive motor homes are more modern campers. The best place for you to go is type2ireland or the volksfolks they have youger members and drive old vans like yours they'll have seen this before.

Yes I have 4 years named driver experience and a full licence for 3 years. I'll be a named driver on another policy. It probably won't be my primary car as no doubt it's fuel efficiency will be crap, it'll make more sense to drive the other car for short trips.

I've already sorted insurance so it's grand. I'd just like to have my own insurance on this.

Yes I have 4 years named driver experience and a full licence for 3 years. I'll be a named driver on another policy. It probably won't be my primary car as no doubt it's fuel efficiency will be crap, it'll make more sense to drive the other car for short trips.

I've already sorted insurance so it's grand. I'd just like to have my own insurance on this.

Who did you go with in the end?

Stuarts in the end, rang everywhere else including travellers and no joy because of the under 25 thing. I also rang AXA about classic insurance and surprise surprise an over 25 rule applies. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

paddyp wrote: »
    While the actual age 25 may be arbitrary you can understand the reluctance to cover young drivers.
    You'd think they'd actually go into a bit deeper - I'm not sure someone who's going to pony up for an early bay necessarily fits the same risk grouping as someone driving a hot hatch, but insurance companies appear to treat them the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

sorry to go thread digging guys,op im just wondering was it much more money to put yourself as a named driver, then the 350 i've heard camper policies are?? just i think im going to have to go the same route myself and would like to know how much im going to have to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

vespahead wrote: »
    sorry to go thread digging guys,op im just wondering was it much more money to put yourself as a named driver, then the 350 i've heard camper policies are?? just i think im going to have to go the same route myself and would like to know how much im going to have to spend

Dolmens are €325 with I think its two named drivers allowed. Open drive on the van is then €380

vespahead wrote: »

Stuarts are the only company that will consider you if your under 25. I couldn't go with them as I have a converted ambulance which they refuse to insure.

Dolmen refused to look at me being under 25 but it was by pure luck I was insured with Axa with my car and the girl in Dolmen rang Axa on my behalf to see if they would take me being under 25 on the basis I already had a car insured with them. They agreed to take me and I got €380 for open drive :D

Stuarts are the only company that will consider you if your under 25. I couldn't go with them as I have a converted ambulance which they refuse to insure.

Dolmen refused to look at me being under 25 but it was by pure luck I was insured with Axa with my car and the girl in Dolmen rang Axa on my behalf to see if they would take me being under 25 on the basis I already had a car insured with them. They agreed to take me and I got €380 for open drive :D

Were you on the Doolin promenade on Sunday last? Saw a converted ambulance there.

P.S, what was the problem with the converted ambulance?

Were you on the Doolin promenade on Sunday last? Saw a converted ambulance there.

P.S, what was the problem with the converted ambulance?

No wasn't around Clare last weekend, was around Kerry! Mine is a converted from a van chasis, not the usual cab chasis... It's just in there T&C that they do not accept converted coaches/ambulances. I tried explaining that it is a van chasis, so it's a standard van but they weren't interested.

Here's the bit from the T&C:
    Exclusions
    •We will not insure campers taxed or owned in a Company name
    •Panel Vans
    •Horse Boxes
    •Vans adapted for motor racing
    •Driving of Other Vehicles
    •Motorcycle cover is excluded from this policy and must be insured separately
    •Converted Buses, Coaches or Ambulances.

No wasn't around Clare last weekend, was around Kerry! Mine is a converted from a van chasis, not the usual cab chasis... It's just in there T&C that they do not accept converted coaches/ambulances. I tried explaining that it is a van chasis, so it's a standard van but they weren't interested.

Here's the bit from the T&C:

Odd one. Sorry to ask a stupid question, but whats the difference in an ambulance van chassis and a cab chassis?

Was it just the front of the van you got with the chassis on the back and you built the entire body onto it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

partly because a lot of aircooled vw people are snobs and very elitist, the idea of someone in their 20s even looking at a 70s vw must send chills down their spine

Odd one. Sorry to ask a stupid question, but whats the difference in an ambulance van chassis and a cab chassis?

Was it just the front of the van you got with the chassis on the back and you built the entire body onto it?

Probably best explain in pics, a van chasis is just a converted panel van:
    iStock_000002769054XSmall_ambulance.jpg

Cab chasis is one with a cab built onto the back of the van:
    Ambulance-Thurles.jpg

• Advertisement

I get ya now... thanks

Did you buy it as is, or did you build it yourself?

Advertisement