Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about opening account up North

Options
  • 06-12-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hey, I have some savings, and want to spread the risk around a bit, so I'm thinking about opening a sterling bank account up north. From other threads here, it sounds like they will accept a southern address.

So for anyone how has already donr this, is it as easy as dropping into any bank, bringing a few bits of id & proof of address etc, and filling out a form?

And do I need to notify Revenue here that I've done this? Or file a tax return for any interest earned? Would I have to do this if I opened a current account paying little or no interest?

I'm not trying to avoid tax, just hedge my bets against a collapse in the euro and/or Ireland being kicked out of it, and savings in the state being converted to a worthless 'Punt Nua' as others have called it.

Now that I think about it, I suppose whenever I do finally withdraw whatever I lodged, if I make anything on exchange rate differences, I will have to pay capital gains tax on that...

Thanks.

Advertisement