Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are allergies dealt with in primary schools?

• 06-12-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

How do primary schools in Cork (or elsewhere in Ireland) deal with a child that suffers from a severe food allergy? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Our 4 year-old son has a severe allergy to eggs, and we are considering moving to Ireland to find a safer educational environment for him.

Thank you most sincerely for any information or advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most schools will do all that they can e.g. ban eggs from room,learn how to use epi-pen etc.You'd need to talk to individual schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Schools may do their best to faciliate you but there is NO guarantee some child won't have egg in their lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

If you contact a school where there is a willingness and understanding to do what they can, with an appreciation of epi-pen procedures, then you should be fine. I would imagine that some schools may be a bit reluctant and it would be difficult to give an absolute guarantee. Have you contacted any schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Btw, Tunie, I noticed that this is your first posting, so a warm welcome to Boards.ie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

What generally happens if a child may need to have prescription medicine adminstered in school is that the parents must write a letter to the Board of Management, indemnifying staff members from any legal action if they do adminster the medicine. You'll have to provide clear, written instructions, and also come in to demonstrate to the staff how to adminster the medication (I'm assuming it's an epi-pen?)

We've done this in our school for a number of children and the staff are all willing to adminster the medication when necessary. Having the child's teacher alone indemnified won't do, in case they're out sick if the child does need the medication.

As regards egg in the classroom, I haven't personally come across any children in school with a severe allergy, so I can't advise you here. If you go to forum.educationposts.ie you'll probably find someone who does have personal experience of the situation. I'd assume the school would write to parents asking them not to put egg of any kind in their childrens' lunchboxes, but as another poster has said, there's no guarantee that someone won't forget and put egg in. I'd assume this is the same in any country though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's also a good idea to have the child's picture in the staffroom with an outline of what to look out for, in case the class teacher is out/on a course/elsewhere. It's important that all the staff, not just the teachers be made aware, eg secretary, caretaker, any S.N.As.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

E.T. wrote: »
    What generally happens if a child may need to have prescription medicine adminstered in school is that the parents must write a letter to the Board of Management, indemnifying staff members from any legal action if they do adminster the medicine. You'll have to provide clear, written instructions, and also come in to demonstrate to the staff how to adminster the medication (I'm assuming it's an epi-pen?)

We've done this in our school for a number of children and the staff are all willing to adminster the medication when necessary. Having the child's teacher alone indemnified won't do, in case they're out sick if the child does need the medication.

As regards egg in the classroom, I haven't personally come across any children in school with a severe allergy, so I can't advise you here. If you go to forum.educationposts.ie you'll probably find someone who does have personal experience of the situation. I'd assume the school would write to parents asking them not to put egg of any kind in their childrens' lunchboxes, but as another poster has said, there's no guarantee that someone won't forget and put egg in. I'd assume this is the same in any country though.

I agree with this persons opinion,as a mother of a child suffering with a food allergy the only thing I can add is that the school sends out a note at the begining of the school year stating that they have x amount of students in whatever grade or class suffering with food allergies and recommend following the good food, 5 a day food group list for school lunches etc...they also provide a list of no food for the lunch box....also they highlight the symptoms the child would suffer with and the life risk your child is in if faced or comes in contact with the food items.....For this reason when everything is in black and white it is easier for everyone to understand....and no parent wants to be the one to see another parents child suffer because of what they put in their childs lunch box.....This list you would have provided the school with.when giving them all other relevent info...if you need help pm me and I will help if I can......I hope this helps you...also when you are checking out the school you send your child to,I would advise write your concerns and questions down in advance and ask about them...Good luck for the future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is your child allergic to consuming eggs in their primary form such as fried, boiled, etc or to eggs and anything containing them such as cake, muffins, pancakes etc? Does the allergy also extend to touching eggs or anything containing them?

Advertisement