Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick PS2 question.

• 06-12-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to mod a PAL PS2 (Silver, fat model) to play NTSC PS2 or PS1 games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Interestingly enough, I'm going to face this same problem later on this week. So any help would be appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've mine softmodded with Free McBoot, and it's able to run NTSC games via the harddrive/network adapter method, so yes, it can be done. Disc wise I'm not certain though, but I've a feeling it works too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I can confirm, disks defo work using ESR via FMCB. I tried with GT4 and Tourist Trophy both worked (NTSC U + J have 1080i vs 480p for PAL).

Source of info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support#endnote_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So they run at full speed too?

Does FMCB allow you to run PS1 NTSC games?

Great news, thanks gang. I must look at softmodding this phat PS2 I got from WMN, the power boards don't match up with the v3 NTSC PS2 that I have. Great to know my friend will be able to play her beloved Dance Dance Revolution again :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

This is the way it was, maybe things have changed

Freemcboot using ESR will not play a retail disc, of any kind or region but it doesnt care about region of an ESR patched disc

Freemcboot does not change PS1 capabilities of the PS2 at all. It will still only play retail ps1 games from the same region

Thanks for the info.

Probably best just buying a US PS2 then.

This is the way it was, maybe things have changed

Freemcboot using ESR will not play a retail disc, of any kind or region but it doesnt care about region of an ESR patched disc

Freemcboot does not change PS1 capabilities of the PS2 at all. It will still only play retail ps1 games from the same region

So for all the discs she has there'll have to be ESR patching done on them to play? Not the best news so..maybe installing to the hard drive would be better if that's possible

So for all the discs she has there'll have to be ESR patching done on them to play? Not the best news so..maybe installing to the hard drive would be better if that's possible

It's possible, as I said they work from hard drive no prob via HD Loader. You give up too easily chopperbyrne :P I dumped an NTSC Kingdom Hearts 2 onto my hdd & it boots without a prob. Also, full speed is determined by the game coding from this generation onwards (well DC era really), the actual hardware is not the limiting factor unlike previous gen machines. If a game supports 60hz it will run at that rate whether it's PAL or NTSC...the trick is getting your console happy enough to run it.

As I said, Free McBoot, HD Loader, a 120GB IDE drive & a Network adapter should accomplish what you need.

I'd want it to run American PS1 games too though. That's one of my main reasons.

• Advertisement

I'd want it to run American PS1 games too though. That's one of my main reasons.

You'd need to have it chipped in that case, or perhaps a swap-magic disc etc can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

AFAIK, Swap Magic won't boot PS1 cds, it will only boot PS2 cds. A boot disc called Breaker Pro will do the trick on a PS2 Phat.
    If you can get your hands on a PS2 slim, there is a way of playing PS1 NTSC discs without the need of a boot disc.

sengoku wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on a PS2 slim, there is a way of playing PS1 NTSC discs without the need of a boot disc.

Is that the cover the door sensor method, and leave the tray off/open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that the cover the door sensor method, and leave the tray off/open?

That's the one. The method has been widely reported to work, but, I've never tried it.

Advertisement