Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl diamond cutting disks

• 06-12-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if these are good quality? They're €6.99 each compared to €20 in the local tool shop.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There ok for diy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just as good as, if not better than, what you will get in your local hardware shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have one, and I'm getting great mileage out of it. Will need another one soon though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Used one recently to cut all the awkward cuts while doing a tiling job. Thought it was great to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yorky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if these are good quality? They're €6.99 each compared to €20 in the local tool shop.

To answer the question, neither are good quality.

A decent quality blade, with good abrasion, in 125mm will set you back about 50 quid. Other than that you will have a lower abrasion.

Fine for DIY i suppose if it does the trick for a once off job - but i wouldnt waste my money or patience on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes they are fine for DIY. Generally you will get one tiling job out of one disk. Plus you don't have to worry about storage when not in use if it were a pro disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I haven't used those but just incase you ever think of buying the 1 MM cutting disc's...don't. There lethal. Out of the five I used three burst while cutting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

snyper wrote: »
    To answer the question, neither are good quality.

A decent quality blade, with good abrasion, in 125mm will set you back about 50 quid. Other than that you will have a lower abrasion.

Fine for DIY i suppose if it does the trick for a once off job - but i wouldnt waste my money or patience on them

Only as good as the person who is cutting/using it.

You can have the best of the best and still be sh!te at cutting it.;)

I haven't used those but just incase you ever think of buying the 1 MM cutting disc's...don't. There lethal. Out of the five I used three burst while cutting

1mm discs in general or the Lidl ones?

I use 1mm discs all the time and never had a problem with them. (Non lidl ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Mmmm... Methinks you might be safer using a hacksaw.
    I've used hundreds of these with no problem.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Only as good as the person who is cutting/using it.

You can have the best of the best and still be sh!te at cutting it.;)

That is true too. But, ive found that skimping on certain things only slows me down, particularly when cutting tiles with a sh*tty blade. I actually prefer to use a manual tile cutter, its way faster than a wet cut - but of course not all types of cuts can be done with the sigma tile cutters so. Same goes for a tungston blade for the circular and or chop saw - cheap blades burn and cut slow.. good blade - zip, cut done - move on to the next -and if you're cutting out a roof -id eat my hat with impatience if the blade is crap

That is true too. But, ive found that skimping on certain things only slows me down, particularly when cutting tiles with a sh*tty blade. I actually prefer to use a manual tile cutter, its way faster than a wet cut - but of course not all types of cuts can be done with the sigma tile cutters so. Same goes for a tungston blade for the circular and or chop saw - cheap blades burn and cut slow.. good blade - zip, cut done - move on to the next -and if you're cutting out a roof -id eat my hat with impatience if the blade is crap

I agree. Would much rather cut tiles with a score and snap. Trouble is, every time someone asks me to tile for them they always buy tiles that are too big for my feckin tile cutter, usually 600 x 300 tiles.

I agree. Would much rather cut tiles with a score and snap. Trouble is, every time someone asks me to tile for them they always buy tiles that are too big for my feckin tile cutter, usually 600 x 300 tiles.

Sigma do a cutter that will do that size and bigger.If you have a pretty big job on - you or the ppl you are doing the job for should consider getting one on hire from your local tool hire - worth the price of the hire to make the job easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

:rolleyes:
    nophd08 wrote: »
    Mmmm... Methinks you might be safer using a hacksaw.
    I've used hundreds of these with no problem.

Hmmmm, just because you have used a lot of them doesn't mean there any good. Metal fab is a big part of my job so I have some idea of there limitations. I suppose if your a just doing DIY then there probably more your thing but for those of us doing more heavy duty work there simply not worth a sh$*e. to say that its the person using them that could be at fault....after i had used 5 of them I went back to the more expensive one's which last 5 to 6 times longer. Go figure

Sigma do a cutter that will do that size and bigger.If you have a pretty big job on - you or the ppl you are doing the job for should consider getting one on hire from your local tool hire - worth the price of the hire to make the job easier

I do hire the big sigma one when I need it, its a great job. Its a pain though when you go to the hassle of buying a cutter and its too small for most of you're work:mad:

Advertisement