Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest a product shooting rig?

• 06-12-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi guys, could anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive rig for shooting products? Have camera gear but that's it. Largest item would be about the size of a small box of cornflakes i guess.

Looking for something with a small enough footprint as space is tight.

Any/all advise very much appreciated. Cheers
    Grif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

light tent

will google for more details and get back to you (I really only wanted to be first to reply !!)

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

hmm, well, that's an idea..... and certainly cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dunnes used do a white foldadble laundry bag that would be perfect for a light tent,

one of the guys in my photography club got a stand, light and softbox from a company in england for approx stg£140 did a great job for our still life night. I'll find out the name if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's something I must investigate and do. I've been asked to do some jewelery product shots.

Looks like some interesting options, from the cheap and cheerful up to a designed box.

• Advertisement

This thread inspired me to actually try my luck at making my own little light tent out of a box and some paper. I've been meaning to do it for a while but never bothered.

Anyway, I haven't a picture of my actual box, but it looks remarkably similar to this one;

light-tent.jpg

The size of my box is about 14(H) x 8(W) x 10(D) inches. I stuck a single piece of 80gsm paper to each side and top. Put a piece on the back and the piece that's on the floor of the box leans lightly against the back one, so it's not creased (again, like the one in the photo above).

By sticking a cheapo Argos lamp eah side (one lamp each side, each with a useless 40w bulb) and my flashgun on full power on top of the box pointing downwards, I've managed to get these results;

pc115875-pp.jpg

pc115900-pp.jpg

And two or three others here. For the mini Intercontinental Championship, I had to fold two pages in half and make a semi-circle kinda shape in front of the belt, and shoot down over them, to stop the belt from reflecting me and my room in it.

Only thought to try a Circular Polariser after I took the shots. The photo of the watch, I used a CPL filter for that one as it was difficult to make out the hands and such with the lights. Made the image a bit better, but not hugely.

Bought a cheap 20x20x20 inch light tent on eBay from Hong Kong, but probably won't see it until 2011.

(Note; im aware the above images aren't perfect, for example, the surroundings of the IC belt aren't entirely white and needs a little PP loving, but i knew that when uploading).

Advertisement