Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No added MSG' misleading?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey , I try to avoid MSG in foods because after avoiding it I noticed a marked improvement in ME symptoms. I'm not here to argue with people who think this is a placebo effect , it works for me. What I'm interested to find out is if it's legal to label food saying that it contains , 'No added MSG' when it does in fact contain free glutamate labeled as Barley malt extract etc. Is there any other people here who buy packet soups etc saying 'No added MSG' thinking they are MSG free when in fact these products contain precursors or similar substances by stealth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

Yeah, I agree, it shouldn't be allowed, unfortunately, it appears it is. I usually look at the ingredients label (I'm not entirely strict on the no MSG, but I try to avoid it if/where I can, when there's a similar non-MSG product available) and I find it totally misleading and pretty unacceptable that producers can proclaim 'No MSG' when their product has yeast extract or something similar for all intents and purposes to the 'demon additive'. I've bought these non-MSG products in the past only to look at the label more closely later and realise I'm eating basically the same thing I've been trying to avoid. They're hoodwinking people.

The problem, as I see it, is that a certain type of food additive gets bad press, under a generic name, people use the generic term and producers use the opportunity to camouflage the additives they use by proclaiming 'No MSG', implying theirs is a healthier, superior product.

I wonder if there's a generic name for all additives created in the same manner as MSG/yeast extract or similar? You'd think it'd be relatively easy for the food authority people to identify products containing them in a way that enlightens consumers about the nature of the product.

On a similar-ish point, I was avoiding 'xylotol', a sweetner, in chewing gums etc and somebody told me it's entirely natural. I'm still a bit dubious about it, it even sounds fake in the way aspartame does! Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

On a similar-ish point, I was avoiding 'xylotol', a sweetner, in chewing gums etc and somebody told me it's entirely natural. I'm still a bit dubious about it, it even sounds fake in the way aspartame does! Does anyone know?

Wikipedia seems to think its natural. There's a list of references at the bottom if you want to do further research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/e-numbers/293.xylitol.html

The vast, vast majority of food additives are "natural" in one way or another. "Artificial" implies that something is a chemical constructed in a lab and does not occur in nature, whereas "natural" implies that it's perfectly safe.

There are very few "artificial" additives, most are derived from various plants, minerals or animals, purified and concentrated and then used as additives.

The problem is that they're added to foods in concentrations you don't find in nature and consequently we end up consuming far more than our bodies are capable of handling.

MSG is a completely "natural" food additive.

I imagine it's perfectly legal to market a food as "MSG-Free", provided that it doesn't specifically contain any additional MSG (E621). They may replace the MSG with another glutamate, and they're not doing anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Xylitol is a great alternative to sugar and it's even used in some toothpastes as a teeth whitner. You can buy it loose in health food shops in Dublin. I'll think I'll just write a letter to a few food companies in relation to the MSG for the craic to see what kind of a response I get. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Would it not be the same case where a manufacturer might claim that their orange juice has no added sugar. This doesn't imply that there is no sugar in the orange juice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Xylitol is a great alternative to sugar and it's even used in some toothpastes as a teeth whitner. You can buy it loose in health food shops in Dublin. I'll think I'll just write a letter to a few food companies in relation to the MSG for the craic to see what kind of a response I get. Cheers.

Why not research the topic more rather than assume that when it has glutamate it will have the same effects as MSG. Rice dream contains a min amount of natural arsenic but you don't see them labelling that on the product. Some interesting sources to read on labelling and specific legislation are below.

FSAI- Legislation
    http://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/labelling_presentation_advertising_foodstuffs/general_labelling_provisions.html

Publications on Food Labelling
    http://www.fsai.ie/resources_and_publications/labelling.html

The Labelling of Food in Ireland 2007 is a very interesting read. Any letters you write will be referenced by Irish companies to the existing legislation and may reference the labelling of food which is an industry bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would it not be the same case where a manufacturer might claim that their orange juice has no added sugar. This doesn't imply that there is no sugar in the orange juice?
    Exactly, people people assume that "no added" (MSG or sugar) means it contains none then well they are a bit stupid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ggwalie

There is such an overload of confusing information and yet no understandable information on the subject of MSG/E621 (Monosodium Glutamate). Apparently it occurs naturally in some food as a salt variation but is added to packaged foods and sauces as a flavour enhancer. I knew nothing of MSG until I had an allergic reaction causing anaphylaxis, so I need to know more. I have read online that there are numerous alias names; yeast extract, autolyzed yeast, malt extract, soy protein, natural flavours, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, corn syrup, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate... the list is endless. Allergies to it can occur as a rash, numbing of parts of the body, heart palpatations etc but apparently aren't serious - but an anaphylactic reaction to any allergins is always serious. Seriously, what can I eat? How can all these things be MSG, for example maltodextrin is a variation of glucose not salt, right?? Is the information written in online articles provided by sufferers of paranoia or should someone with a real, serious issue with MSG not shop in supermarkets at all?? Is there any correct information out there regarded MSG that the public can access?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

ggwalie this thread is two years old - and your question is more suited to the Nutrition & Diet forum.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement