Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth of the Modern World- Good Lord Help me

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Dear Boardsies,
    I hate this module and I hate history and I'm not gonna make an excuse to sya " Oh I was sick and missed the lectures" I just didnt go cos I hate the module loved all my other modules and went to them but this just wrecked my head the first 2 weeks. And now I'm kicking myself because there's no lecture slides and I've no notes. So Can anyone help. I'm not expecting anyone to send me there notes, I'd rather do the readin and making of notes myself. Not fair to assume I can just take other peoples work. But can anyone at least point me in the direction of where to start. or what topics you guys are choosing to study?

I know I'm a dope for having the "not go to the lectures attitude" and I'll probably be told this but, I genuinely would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

You're a right dope for not going to the lectures! The course covers France and the Netherlands from about 1500 to 1800. Very broad but even basic reading of the period will give you essay ideas. Similarly, blackboard has topics that are being covered in each week of the lectures/seminars and I would say that would be a good place to start.... Was reading up on France today, its painful sh*t, no proper wars, just potential religious wars that never really materialise. Classic France really!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

You're a right dope for not going to the lectures! The course covers France and the Netherlands from about 1500 to 1800. Very broad but even basic reading of the period will give you essay ideas. Similarly, blackboard has topics that are being covered in each week of the lectures/seminars and I would say that would be a good place to start.... Was reading up on France today, its painful sh*t, no proper wars, just potential religious wars that never really materialise. Classic France really!

Thanks Oasis for the advice! I usually look at past exam papers and then choose 2 topics from each section for history modules and I'm usualy covered, would ya think it'd be too risky for this module?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I had the same attitude and find myself in the same position for Intro to fu**ing programming 1.

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    Thanks Oasis for the advice! I usually look at past exam papers and then choose 2 topics from each section for history modules and I'm usualy covered, would ya think it'd be too risky for this module?

That should cover you I'd say. If it doesn't then we're all screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Conor108 wrote: »
    I had the same attitude and find myself in the same position for Intro to fu**ing programming 1.

It's not a demanding course at all. They also offer you free grinds if you bother to show up.

http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/computer-science-support-centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

prog support is great - providing you show up with attempted work and dont be like "programming ye, what".

Birth of a modern world last year was ridiculous - like 400 years of euro and irish history but its easier than it looks/sounds.

prog support is great - providing you show up with attempted work and dont be like "programming ye, what".

Birth of a modern world last year was ridiculous - like 400 years of euro and irish history but its easier than it looks/sounds.

No Irish History. The core Irish History module is Celtic Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Unfortunately McNuggy10, they change it around every year what countries they focus on between France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria etc.. and there are no samples of questions relating to the Dutch part of the course. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Conor108 wrote: »

The Arts module?

With Processing?

They don't actually 'teach' that module; they just say 'look here's some interesting shapes that I made earlier. Hope you know how to program now'

Sorry, I lie.

There's nothing about 'hope' in their statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I'm the same as you, HATED this module. Went to the first few lectures but they were rubbish. No slides so literally just trying to take down everything he said (which was alot). Ridiculous!

I'm just going over it now, not as bad as I thought, i'm definitely going to focus on overseas expansion for the Dutch section, havn't gotten my head around the french section yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

oh you are right that was a diff module.

This module is the one with declan downey - funny lecturer.

Gingy wrote: »
    Unfortunately McNuggy10, they change it around every year what countries they focus on between France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria etc.. and there are no samples of questions relating to the Dutch part of the course. :(

Are you in the module this semester Gingy?
    If you are what you focusing on?
    I've never in my life been so screwed for something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

Dear Boardsies,
    I hate this module and I hate history and I'm not gonna make an excuse to sya " Oh I was sick and missed the lectures" I just didnt go cos I hate the module loved all my other modules and went to them but this just wrecked my head the first 2 weeks. And now I'm kicking myself because there's no lecture slides and I've no notes. So Can anyone help. I'm not expecting anyone to send me there notes, I'd rather do the readin and making of notes myself. Not fair to assume I can just take other peoples work. But can anyone at least point me in the direction of where to start. or what topics you guys are choosing to study?

I know I'm a dope for having the "not go to the lectures attitude" and I'll probably be told this but, I genuinely would appreciate any help!

There are people on a worse situation than you. I'm doing this module as part of the part-time evening degree. Some genius in the History department, fully aware that those doing the part-time degree do so as they are unavailable during the day, decided to put the lectures on during the day - same ones as the day students - and most of us, as a result have been able to attend no lectures on the French and Dutch history. This lack of familiarity with the basics is compounded by the lack of past papers so it is like approaching final exams blindfolded.

Are you in the module this semester Gingy?
    If you are what you focusing on?
    I've never in my life been so screwed for something!

As Perri Winkes said, look at the naval expansion for the Dutch part, and I'm looking at the reigns of Cardinal Richelieu and Louis XIV for the French part.

(I would usually hate this module, but <snip let's not be naming names> is such a character, it makes it bearable!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

As Perri Winkes said, look at the naval expansion for the Dutch part, and I'm looking at the reigns of Cardinal Richelieu and Louis XIV for the French part.

(I would usually hate this module, but <snip let's not be naming names> is such a character, it makes it bearable!)

Tut, tut... Richelieu didn't 'reign'

Also, I find <snip> to be very... subjective. Unique style though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They use Netherlands now? We had Spain and France last year. Richelieu/Louis XIV (think thats the right Louis) is guaranteed each time.

Can anyone confirm what percentage of the overall marks for the module the exam represents? I heard 60 per cent but find it difficult to get the clarified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

EoghanRua wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what percentage of the overall marks for the module the exam represents? I heard 60 per cent but find it difficult to get the clarified.

All history modules are 10% for attendance and participation in seminars, 30% for a mod-term assignment and 60% for a final exam or take home exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

better you than me kid

FewToLose wrote: »
    All history modules are 10% for attendance and participation in seminars, 30% for a mod-term assignment and 60% for a final exam or take home exam :)

Thanks for that. It does take some of the pressure off regarding the exams anyway to know that there's a fair chunk already accounted for.

• Advertisement

Tut, tut... Richelieu didn't 'reign'

Also, I find <snip> to be very... subjective. Unique style though!

That is something that I'm going to argue in the essay, that Richelieu and not Louis XIII, actually ruled the country at the time, therefore we can call it the reign of Richelieu.....

I think I got away with that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phil0991

how many questions are on it does any1 know? will there be a question for each lecture?

That is something that I'm going to argue in the essay, that Richelieu and not Louis XIII, actually ruled the country at the time, therefore we can call it the reign of Richelieu.....

I think I got away with that one

OP here! havnt logged on in a while but thanks for the replies people and to the people who PM'd me.. appreciate it! :)

If anyone else is stuck PM me and I'll pass on what I was forwarded!

McNuggy

Advertisement