Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening in Dublin on New Year's Eve?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi,

If I'm duplicating- apologies!

Any good ideas for what to do on NYE? I don't want to go anywhere near a nightclub but there'll be a gang of us so I'd like to do something- not enough of us for a house party really and last year's TV was atrocious - they basically paused the All Ireland Talent Show to do the countdown!

Are there fireworks/ any public celebrations?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they ring the bells at christchurch at midnight

we were there last year, had a few drinks in the bull and castle and then out for the ringing in of the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hilaryj

Check out www.dublinnewyearfestival.com. There are a series of free and ticketed events over the New Year period. Dublin Gospel Choir are singing in Christ Church Catherdral followed by the traditional bell ringing and there is a New Year live at The Guinness Storehouse! (Yes a piss up in a brewery!:D) It may be worth checking out! I'm bringing my kids to Christ Church but if it was just the two of us I know where I'd rather be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yeh, bring on 2011, will be even worse than this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

€80 a ticket for the Storehouse seems a bit steep. Doubt there'll be much in the way of drink included in that either.

I've got a few frineds coming over fom England for New Year. I've never spent New Year in the City but I'm slightly concerned now that everyone I talk to tells me how quiet Dublin is on NYE. I'm not looking for a wild and crazy night on the town but I'd like to take my friends somewhere with at least a few people in it. Even Temple Bar I hear is deserted that night....

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Thanks for the responses.

€80 is a bit steep - a couple of us aren't working. I think mini-houseparty and walk down to Christchurch might be the way to go. From what I've read Dublin is a quiet so looks like we'll have to make our own fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hamstercrusher

We are heading to Whelans NYE, we were there last year and had a blast, granted we were a bit on the wobbly side but it was good fun. They have a few differant people playing in differant areas, we have tickets for And So I Watch You From Afar, they were only €15 and we live nearby so its handy for us. Just a suggestion for ya, always have a laugh in there especially as it turns into a bit of a maze when you've had a few too many :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was in Donnybrook 2 new years ago and it was dead really dead. Was still fun but everywhere is deserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hilaryj

The €80 includes supper and one free drink I think. But I hear The Joshua Tree, Kinghts of Leon are among the bands playing on the three levels so I would say it might be worth the little extra. There is a surprise band playing too, if I hear who they are I will post details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm heading to this:

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/aiken-promotions-events/mixed-tape-new-years-eve-party-live-vicar-st-dec-31st.html

Mixed Tape New Years Party in Vicar St. A big line up including Neil Hannon, Jerry Fish, Lisa Hannigan and loads others, where I get the feeling they're just going to half a laugh and enoy themselves. €35

Advertisement