Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet probelm

• 06-12-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

my 5month old puppy who was just about toilet trained untill this big freeze now she refuses to go outside. but now in the last day shes started peeing on our beds while asleep? she does no what shes doing as she gets up after and runs to the door? should we be worried? or is it jus coldness/ lazyness??
    thank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Yeah i'd say she's just holding it in until she bursts, because she doesn't want to go out in the cold! If she's not going to volunteer to go outside herself, you might have to just take her out a few times a day yourself and stand with her until she goes - in the mornings/after feeding/before bed etc are a good bet. She'll get the idea again pretty fast! Once it thaws out a bit, she'll probably become a bit more willing to 'volunteer' to go outside again anyway! tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP I've had the same issue with my 2 year old dog since he was a pup - he'd "not need to go" when he's put out, then go on the floor during the night. Happens everytime we have particularly bad weather, rain, ice etc.

I've had to be cruel and put him out for a half hour every evening before bed. So yep I agree with dvet - you'll have to bring the pup out and wait until they go, just like when you were starting to train. It will get better when the weather thaws a bit. I'd like to say it will also get better with age and you wont have this problem next year but I told myself that last winter and it wasn't true. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

thanks guys she got a bit better last night as it is thawing and we had no in house accendents getting her out often is key even if she gets grumpy at me! she is just so tiny that the cold is really effecting her! she hates walking in it so trying to convince her to go for a walk with the other one is impossible! she just sits down on the door step and wont move! :D so hoping this ice is gone soon so we can all get back to are normal routine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My big guy won't go into the back garden if the ground is wet... doesn't matter if it's rain or the hose has made it wet he will just refuse to go out. If I make him he'll stand beside me with his head and tail down looking so sad :o

So if the ground is wet we have to take him out the front to wee as he has wee'd in the house rather than brave the wet ground.... and he's 8 now.

Just to add though that he adores the snow and will spend ages in the garden with it.

I think you just need to keep bringing her out but maybe go into the front not the back so she doesn't start to associate the back garden with being made to go out in the yeuchy cold :D

thanks a mill guys things are defo gettin better now theres a few thawed patches in the garden and on the road for walks! she even went to the door last night to be let out to go! witch is one of the first times shes done that :D

shes just so tiny that it must be super cold for her! she would much prefer to be curled up in front of the heater then out side in that! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh look at her, shes so tiny, i dont blame her not wanting to go out in the cold:D

wouldnt think she was nearly six months!!! i new she was going to be small but she really is tiny the cats double her size :D

Advertisement