Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Championships

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

What a final. One of the best I've ever seen. That was some comeback; Higgins absolutely deserves it. What a double on the brown. Even the final blue and pink. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ishvalian

Well done to Higgins, heartbreaking stuff for Mark though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sad day for the game, Higgins really should still be suspended.

The BBC trying to make the **** look like some sort of innocent victim all week was nauseating. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Excellent match, tops off a great week of snooker with plenty of excitement and tension. Sad that Williams didn't win it as he's had such a poor run over the last few years, but he'll be back better than ever if he keeps up his 6/7 hour a day practice routine. If he can get used to clearing the balls in one frame he'll be a very tough opponent - I think that's what really let him down last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I really wanted Williams to win. Used to always enjoy him back around the time he won the WC, was great to see him back to some sort of form. But he made a mess of it. As someone said, making a break of 60 and still not winning is dreadful. Felt sorry for him though!

Fair fecks to Higgins. That brown was some shot to take on :eek:

He done well. Must have been great for him to win his first tournament back in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rjd2 wrote: »

The BBC trying to make the **** look like some sort of innocent victim all week was nauseating. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

under normal circumstances I would have had great respect for Higgins after that performance but not any more, he's a snake who should been permanently expelled

"how do i swallow 300k":cool: innocent my ar&e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Williams through it away. He had chances in the last 4 frames to win only needed one ball, one good positional shot. I agree Higgins should of still been banned. It was very exciting and a great final if only i hadn't Mark backed from the quarters :(i would of enjoyed it even more.

Higgins is a disgrace to snooker even after his come back last night.

Did anyone else hear Steve Davis saying he was the best player to ever play the game:eek:" He (Higgins) was full of heart" What a load of bull. He is a cheat and should never be allowed play again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Incredible final, it had everything, great night after, although I'm paying the price now, Williams had his chances, I can't understand why he didnt track the yellow after potting the black at 9-7? Higgins must have thought he had lost it when Williams got in in the last frame but how many times have we seen Higgins pull a match back from the dead?
    He's a worthy winner and now overtakes Neil Robertson as world number one, I'm absolutly delighted for him and his family, he's had a tough six months, yes he should have reported the meeting in Kiev and was rightly punished for it but after a four month inquiry by an independent tribunal he was found innocent of all charges of match fixing.
    I just wish some people would let it go, let him get on with his career, he has served his time.
    Welcome back John!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well done to John, delighted to see him back on the top step. He's had such a gritty week, fully deserved. :)

Can we please keep any talk regarding John and the match fixing allegations he was cleared of to another thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Gutted for Mark Williams. I was also a big fan of his in his hay day. Love his attitude. Higgins is a class act though.

There was one incident yesterday that I found annoying but wasn't mentioned in commentary. Just wondering what other people's opinions are on it or if it was even noticed..

Towards the end of a frame (?), Mark Williams potted a red to put Higgins in snookers-needed territory. John got up out of his seat waiting to leave the auditorium. Mark glanced at John, then he took on a fairly easy half-ball black across the table to seal the frame. He missed it and John came back to the table and continued the frame. WTF? I'm not saying Higgins was purposly trying to put Williams off. I'd say he assumed like everyone else that the frame was over. BUT, if he's already stood up and walked towards the exit, should he really be continuing in the frame? I'd be almost definite that it was his standing up and taking a few steps towards the exit that caused Williams to miss an easy black.

Sorry, can't remember what frame it was or even whether it was the afternoon/evening session. Nor can I remember who even won the frame which is an important factor I suppose :o Anybody remember the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I wanted Mark to win. As he said himself he was a lazy git and stopped putting in the hours on the practice table. But I admire what he has done to get back into the elite. To fall to no. 43 and climb back up to no. 3 is a great achievement. He will be kicking himself to loose that match. I've never seen a better player under pressure than John Higgins. He produces the goods when his back is against the wall. Great match, it was nice to see two of the "old timers" in a final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

A classic that will go down in history as the greatest uk final ever!

Regardless of what u might think of higgins, surely u can put it aside and enjoy what was a thrilling final, it had black ball finish all over it until higgins doubled that brown, but this is what snookers all about and why its the only sport that can have u totally engrossed till the very end.

Congrats to higgins, altho i was rootin for williams all the way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

demakinz wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear Steve Davis saying he was the best player to ever play the game:eek:" He (Higgins) was full of heart" What a load of bull. He is a cheat and should never be allowed play again.

I think he meant Higgins was the most complete all-round player ever which is probably true, he isn't the best ever though. I'm not sure what to make of him as a person but there aren't many who could have done what he did last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I think he meant Higgins was the most complete all-round player ever which is probably true, he isn't the best ever though. I'm not sure what to make of him as a person but there aren't many who could have done what he did last night.

I agree it was a super come back one of the best iv seen live on tv anyway. I used to be a huge fan on Higgins untill last year lost alot of respect for him. besides that it was one hell of a final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

9 - 5 up and loses when all he needed was a simple pot....

wouldnt be surprised if higgins wasnt the only one taking backhanders.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Rjd2 wrote: »

He never played any fixed matches. He got his fine and a ban. He is far too good a player for that incident to destroy his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

He never played any fixed matches. He got his fine and a ban. He is far too good a player for that incident to destroy his reputation.

I haven't really been following the snooker recently. Is this is first tournament back after suspension?

How was the audience reaction when he came back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

py2006 wrote: »
    I haven't really been following the snooker recently. Is this is first tournament back after suspension?

How was the audience reaction when he came back?
    Audience reaction was ok. obviously not getting as much support as williams but nothing out of the ordinary happened.
    This was his third tournament back.
    think he has won 2 out of 3 and back at World Number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

As a big fan of snooker I found it hard to watch higgins playing. I think he will only ever be associated with one thing now, and rightly so. The fact that he got such a paltry ban after what he was filmed saying brings the rest of the sport into question as to me it seems like they collectively decided that what he did was not that bad. For him to win a tournament this soon after being caught trying to profit from cheating just highlights the problem. I found it difficult to watch any of his matches and it made the whole tournament a bit sour for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I found it difficult to watch any of his matches and it made the whole tournament a bit sour for me.

same here, Higgins is a greedy crook and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a pro tournament

what sort of message does this send out..fix a match and get away with it:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

As a big fan of snooker I found it hard to watch higgins playing. I think he will only ever be associated with one thing now, and rightly so. The fact that he got such a paltry ban after what he was filmed saying brings the rest of the sport into question as to me it seems like they collectively decided that what he did was not that bad. For him to win a tournament this soon after being caught trying to profit from cheating just highlights the problem. I found it difficult to watch any of his matches and it made the whole tournament a bit sour for me.

I don't know now. He never actually threw any matches. He is a triple world champion so his reputation should not be tainted. Although cheating in professional support is rare so maybe it is off putting for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Great to see Higgy back on form, where has he been for the last six months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

How rotten is the sport of snooker when one of the all time greats is shrouded in doubt? A gentleman and family man could never do that type of thing?
    Quinten Hann was effectively finished in a similar revelation but ole johnny comes through with shining colours and turns things around.

Willie Thorne had dead collecters waiting for him outside venues, these guys were straight?

Advertisement