Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this saying?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Please could someone translate this to simple, easily understood terms please. I asked somebody* who works in diaster prevention and management about a polar low for Ireland (after I read it about it in one of the threads here) and got back this. I can understand the language but can't follow the gist of it but it sounds exciting. :D

*Warning - he loves bigging it up!

WARNING THE FOLLOWING ATTACHMENTS ARE GRAPHIC

Yep, only the first time I voiced it was about 2 months ago when I noted to a Phd. that there was a superlow that was modeled down in Antarctica. Just about the lowest ever seen…. 880 mb and our scales didnt go down that far.

It also was out over the water partially and since he had the connection he asked the Ant A. stations to monitor for it. that there was a superlow that was modeled down in Antarctica. Just about the lowest ever seen

The rest as they say was history. Monitoring for storms down there is like throwing the bones into a pot and calling it voodoo weather. It was one of these sneaking storms that made it almost to the equator during August/September and it killed millions of animals in the Amazon. That was about the 8th of August and it continued for a long couple of days.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec27XJ1CgHA -

Basically in Spanish and in English they are saying Holy **** !

Another

- http://www.boliviabella.com/1-million-fish-dead-in-bolivian-ecological-disaster.html -

Snowfall was almost ten feet deep in places in Argentina. Renato can/could tell you how cold it got.

Not an extinction level event for animals or humans, but a tamp down if you will.

Then that cold air that we have a hard time monitoring ended up in New Zealand around August 25th. We had indications it was coming and I warned my sheepers in Australia. They didnt believe it, but it was so cold that it actually got down to below freezing 14 F and most homes in Perth dont have heat. They all bought heaters but were told not to turn them on because if they did it would melt the power lines. Too much draw on the system.

I didnt get emails for several days..Why? The computer was too cold to operate properly. During the early day it was actually warmer outside in the sun than it was in the cold soaked houses.

Then this….October 5th.

- http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/051010-/nz___snow_hits_farmers_big_time_.aspx -

Was it the main vein storm down in Antarctica? Nope, just little spin offs and packing incredible cold…5 back to back blizzards. Monitoring the weather down there is almost impossible even by satellites and we saw the cold rolling across the water. But the “experts” said that the cold would be modified by the warmer waters on the way. They got that one wrong and badly. It was a living Hell from what I understood because of the effects on the people too. Power outages, food was short for a time due to road conditions.

Now we head to the warmish N. Hemisphere. Land of volcanic activity, land of AGW (human generated stuff) and where we have frozen our asses off for the last four years running in both the EU, Central Asia and the US. Hell, it snowed in Dallas and Houston and sleeted just north of Mexico City… But I am supposed to ignore that stuff when arguing GW.

Anyways, here is the models link.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/cmc/fcst/index.html

You can see the remnants of the super low down there but that is ONE DEEP MOTHER and alive and well even today some 3 months later. There are spin offs to the east of it but really its still resident on the east side of Antarctica and its still colder than normal there.

Look up over Russia/Siberia. And then into the EU. Those are relatively normal low pressures that are spinning it up and giving you grief. But its WAY early for this kind of stuff to be happening and its deep. Deeper than it has been in 70 years. Volcanic generated probably but that was almost categorically excluded by the IPCC. Nope, cant get cold because of volcanoes, we have to blame it on people. I truly do not know either way. But if it continues with these kinds of winters the ice is going to start to advance and that would be very, very bad. Once it gets to a certain point… It tips over and takes probably 2/3rds or more of the worlds populations with it from cold, rain, heat, floods, drought and famine. And likely interchangeably so.

None of this would you find in the main stream media in the EU or the US. Nope, cant be bangin’ against that AGW theo-Hairy. I laughed my tail off at Nancy Pelosi having to cancel the AGW sing along on the steps of the Capitol last year…Reason, snow, rain, sleet, ice. Hmmm !

So to use that projection you hit the number for it on the side and it will bring up the core information. Cold core, deep core and symmetrical means very powerful ugly stuff. Asymmetrical storms means it can be strong, pull more moisture in but generally less powerful.

By watching the millibar projections on the sides you can get a feel for how bad its going to be. Anything below say 1000 mb is something to watch. An 950 storm is going to kill people, just how many and anything below 900 is biblical pretty much. The track is generally pretty good, but the strength is generally off and sometimes by a lot. Watch your local air pressures for fluctuations is what I tell people. If it goes below what they forecasted and seriously so, dont wait… Bail out.

So by referring to that daily you get a good idea for whats coming. It even gives the computer generated path. But I can tell you what you are seeing in Antarctica is much better than it was in August. If it ever happened like that in the N. Hemisphere and it camped out for even a week, there would be thousands dead from it. As I said before its easier to cool off than it is to stay warm.

I would say though that if you saw one coming that I would be on the first flight out for Morocco .

I can't afford a flight to Morocco. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A polar low as it relates to the winter climate of Ireland or the U.K. would be something a bit less dramatic than that. Basically, it would be a well-defined cyclonic rotation fully within an arctic air mass, normally dropping south from an area between Iceland and Norway towards Ireland or Scotland. These can bring very heavy snowfalls and in some cases strong winds (weaker polar lows would bring moderate snowfalls and not very strong winds).

There was some speculation that a polar low was developing in the current situation -- what we see today is not a polar low as such but a frontal trough. The way things are going this winter, there will likely be a good example of a polar low before the season is over, so watch for a discussion of one in the future. Some of the model maps for later this month have that sort of look to them. A weak polar low may be in evidence north of Scotland on Wednesday, if so I will post in this thread about it. That one would be more likely to affect Scotland than any part of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sounds like something from the day after tomorrow tbh. . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks MT, I'll check back.

It does sound very day after tomorrow, tony. In fact, if you added a few aliens it could almost be war of the worlds. However, he has been known to be right and information is generally spot on - to a certain extent. :D

Advertisement