Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find a few cocktail ingredients...

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm having a cocktail party soon and need to find a few ingredients, preferably in Dublin.

Angustora bitters
    Gomme syrup
    Agave nectar

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Redmonds in Ranelagh is the only place that I've found Angustora Bitters recently.

Not familiar with the other two but Redmonds is the type of place which is usually good for this type of thing.

Gomme syrup is just sugar syrup. You can make it yourself using boiling water and lots of white sugar.

1) Put boiling water in a jug.
    2) Add desert spoon of sugar and mix
    3) Repeat step 2 until liquid has a syrupy texture/ sugar won't dissolve anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Agave Nectar should be available in a few health food stores I got a bottle in Sainsburys up north but I think I've seen it in Health Food places too. I'd be fairly sure you could use the sugar syrup instead - what cocktail are you using it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Agave Nectar should be available in a few health food stores I got a bottle in Sainsburys up north but I think I've seen it in Health Food places too. I'd be fairly sure you could use the sugar syrup instead - what cocktail are you using it in?

I'm planning to infuse it with a few things to use in some savoury cocktails I'm working on. I'll probably make a chilli or smoked chilli infused agave syrup to use with something tequila based.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

mloc wrote: »
    I'm planning to infuse it with a few things to use in some savoury cocktails I'm working on. I'll probably make a chilli or smoked chilli infused agave syrup to use with something tequila based.
    wow sounds very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mloc wrote: »
    something tequila based.
    Just make sure you do not go making huge batches of something nobody will drink. I remember my mates missus making tequila & gin cocktails and they all went to waste, as did all the other ingredients in them -they would have been lapped up if it wasn't for the tequila and/or gin in them. Had to pour a fortune down the drain.

Tesco are doing pressed pineapple juice now, really nice, though M&S pressed pineapple juice (in the bottle not the carton) is absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

rubadub wrote: »
    Just make sure you do not go making huge batches of something nobody will drink.

You're right; experimenting with cocktail making can lead to some fairly horrific concoctions. I usually just make one at a time until I get something I like. I was in NY recently and had something interesting called "Breaking he Law" in Summit bar that I'd like to play around with, it goes a bit like this:

Ilegal mezcal reposado
    Dimmi Italian cordial
    fresh lime
    chipotle chili agave
    orange bitters
    cucumber
    topped with soda

It was fairly special and the mezcal/spicey combo really worked quite well. I think a silver tequila like Patron might suit Irish tastes a bit better; the mezcal is very smokey.

Advertisement