Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

music book

• 06-12-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

following a couple of years trekking through many gigs around Dublin , and beyond, i have put together a book on my findings and added one or 2 social ones, demonstrating what rock n Roll means to me .

Dim the Lights, the Show must Start

Full preview below

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1811839

it is profit free on my end , so i wont benefit on any Christmas sales :-0

maybe now i will be able to enjoy live music again

b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Hi Barry

You've some brilliant images in your publication and should be rightfully proud of your work. I see a punk influence coming through with some of your social shots, excellent. You should definitely sell this with a mark up.

I was just wondering where the issue with model releases and promoter's rights to the images stand? Is this work considered editorial or artistic where model releases aren't required? Did you have to sign something at some of the gigs saying image rights belong to the promoter or can only be used for editorial use? Are these publications considered editorial? :confused:

The reason I'm asking is that I have a lot of images taken for editorial use during the years and I was thinking of compiling some of the better ones in a photo book like yourself. Most of these images consist of people at different events, launches and gigs, including performing artists, but none of them would have signed a model release form of any description.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing the next edition.:):)

Henna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I make a pittance out of photography, and would still see myself as amateur - I'm making nothing from the book myself, if some artist doesnt want to be in it i'd just take them out - most of the artists who know about it are more than happy of the small bit of publicity they will get - it was a labour of love , so if someone dosnt like it i just remove image - money and music photography dont mix - many papers want images now for free - thats why i'm giving it up - may take the very odd one - i began to hate music photography for the past 6 months

sorry Henna - not sure I answered your question - but i see this as Artistic

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

No problem Barry

I think everyone’s struggling to make money out of photography these days. I don’t have vast experience of selling music photography but I imagine it has gone the same way as the editorial market; extremely difficult unless you have a regular outlet. I find even print sales from published work has almost dried up.

I think it’s a shame for music photography to lose someone like yourself, who has obvious talent. Did you ever think of setting up a website in the form of a magazine for the music scene in Dublin, reporting on different artist’s performances at different gigs? This could be an outlet for your photos and you could sell advertising space on the site to fund your photography?....Just a thought…

Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge than us could comment on whether Photo Books are considered Artistic or Editorial and if model releases are required.

Henna

henna wrote: »
    No problem Barry

I think everyone’s struggling to make money out of photography these days. I don’t have vast experience of selling music photography but I imagine it has gone the same way as the editorial market; extremely difficult unless you have a regular outlet. I find even print sales from published work has almost dried up.

I think it’s a shame for music photography to lose someone like yourself, who has obvious talent. Did you ever think of setting up a website in the form of a magazine for the music scene in Dublin, reporting on different artist’s performances at different gigs? This could be an outlet for your photos and you could sell advertising space on the site to fund your photography?....Just a thought…

Henna

since the summer I havnt really enjoyed it, I have found most of the artists great, but the hangers on can be very difficult - with the papers not paying (or very little) I found i was getting too old for haggling my way into gigs, the appetite was gone - i'd like to move on to something new and fresh, and not become stale - i still view music as the early blues and punk and hip/hop DIY ethos - and those were most of the artists i tried to photograph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Seems to blend well as a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Nice work Barry. On and on to better things than gig photography.

stabo wrote: »
    Nice work Barry. On and on to better things than gig photography.

cheers, not sure what 'm moving on to , but thats the beauty, it was supposed to be video , but having 2nd thoughts ...

music photography was one of the first things i liked, but brown nosing to anyone is not in my nature , and one to many altercation with security was enough - the first 2 years were great - i started out sneaking cameras in in my socks

Advertisement