Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get real Christmas trees around town?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend a place to get a good Christmas tree? Preferably a Coillte one.

Anywhere close to Monivea village or Ballybrit. The roads are making the journey to the guy in Kiltullagh a little dangerous this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

The Racecourse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Coillte depot in Knocknacarra is now open also. It's located 'between' the Pure Skill complex and B and Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Knocknacarra's a bit far back for me. Racecourse is right beside me at work so I might take a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

How much are Coillte ones? I used to buy from Coillte but they were horribly expensive over the last few years.

Woodies are doing 6ft for about 32euro and 8ft for about 38euro.

Aye Coillte are expensive. €40/€45/€50 depending on size. Stands are €35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Aye Coillte are expensive. €40/€45/€50 depending on size. Stands are €35.

I heard that they are quite expensive this year round. We've supported Coillte each year for the last 5 years, but seems they're putting up the prices?

We got a 2.25metre tree there last year for 40, but the equivalent is now a tenner more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Any info on where I can pick up a cheap artificial tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adrianjh

In Kilcolgan next to Londis there selling them in all shapes and sizes. And for every tree sold over the next few weeks a contribution will be going to the charity CF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

plonk wrote: »
    Any info on where I can pick up a cheap artificial tree.

Try Argos. I got a 6ft tree for €20.99 there at the weekend (and we had a €10 voucher which made it even cheaper). They have some on display in the store so you know what you're getting for your money. I also heard that Penneys have some artificial trees, but haven't been in the store to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Wheres the best / cheapest place to get one,. When do the boys start selling them on the bridge in town ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

I wouldnt buy the ones on the bridge as you have no idea where they are sourced from and may be cut down from an area and not being replaced, I dont know where the cheapest ones are but they can be bought in most garden centres, there is also generally a company that sells a huge amount in the north point building on the Tuam Road across from the Galway Plate Restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Joyces in knocknacarra will be selling 100 gorgeous Christmas trees from Maam Valley this weekend (SAT&SUN) that have been kindly donated to MADRA by Annie&Henner Meiss.

Monies raised from the sale of the trees will go MADRA, a wonderful volunteer run organisation committed to improving dog welfare in Ireland and dedicated to re-homing abandoned, lost, unwanted, abused and neglected dogs in the west

sorry if this is a bit spammy but it's for a great cause and it is relevant!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

anyone know where I might find one of the small ones? Like 2 or 3 foot?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

any suggestions guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want a real tree then maybe just drive around the sales spots and look.
    For plastic then most shops have them. I saw some in Woodies and Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Is the Coillte place in the actual race course or what?

We took a spin down to Joyce's Hardware in Headford to get a few items and noticed their prices for decorations, lights etc were much cheaper than B & Q (where we got most of ours)! A lot of them were 25% off too. Might be of some help to someone here. There were a number of fake trees too, but I didn't have a look at the prices (sorry!).

B&Q are crazy expensive (in general), I couldn't believe the price of their decorations!

McGoughs have a huge selection of artificial trees for sale

Woodies have a big sale on all their Christmas stock now,
    20% all lights and trees (artificial, don't forget MADRAS real trees in Joyces this weekend!)
    50% off ALL decorations...I got some great bargains there tonight, my favourite been a light up village scene reduced from €30 to €15:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭MenloPete

Took a trip out to Joyce's Knocknacarra at the weekend, but saw no sign of Christmas trees for sale - were they really there? I was keen to support MADRA and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

The roads are making the journey to the guy in Kiltullagh a little dangerous this year.

Which guy in Kiltullagh is this please? I have folks out there looking for a tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

MenloPete wrote: »
    Took a trip out to Joyce's Knocknacarra at the weekend, but saw no sign of Christmas trees for sale - were they really there? I was keen to support MADRA and all...

Same here. Couldn't find them.

According to the MADRA website you can get a tree at their rescue, but my husband won't go out there. He is afraid we'll go home with a third dog ;)

CC

@menlopete and chesirecat,
    I'm really sorry guys, was chatting the lady from MADRA last week and she said they'd be on sale at Joyces on sat and sun.

sorry for sending ye astray, will ask her about it again next week.
    I know they can deliver trees if needed but they're pretty busy this time of year

sorry again:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

magentas wrote: »
    @menlopete and chesirecat,
    I'm really sorry guys, was chatting the lady from MADRA last week and she said they'd be on sale at Joyces on sat and sun.

sorry for sending ye astray, will ask her about it again next week.
    I know they can deliver trees if needed but they're pretty busy this time of year

sorry again:o

It wasn't you who sent me astray :)

The City Tribune ran an article on MADRA last Friday and they, too, claimed that the trees would be for sale at Joyces on Sat & Sun.

So no need to apologise ;)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    anyone know where I might find one of the small ones? Like 2 or 3 foot?

Thanks

Outside the flower shop on Cross st. (beside the Napoli pizza, busker browns) smallest I saw was about 3 feet. I'd say there expensive as they come in a pot instead of a stand, and look like they're a living / growing tree, rather than a just for xmass tree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement