Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you rip a slack's from using Dublinbikes?

• 06-12-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi there!

I use Dublinbikes everyday; generally twice a day. I find them brilliant. It's great to see that the scheme is being expanded. I wasn't using them the last week because of the snow but maybe tomorrow I'll make a return :D

However; I have noticed that I have now ripped a second slack's from using the bikes. So basically I have destroyed two pretty good suit's :mad: I know I would have easily avoided this if I wore tracksuit bottom's but this has the added disadvantage of bringing my slack's in my bag to change in work. Yes I'm very lazy!

My question basically is was this normal wear and tear or would the friction from riding the bike maybe have caused the slack's to rip.

Mod's,

Feel free to move this to another suitable thread if you need to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

where did the rips occur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd imagine you just need to get a pair of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14373

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

where did the rips occur?

The rip on both suit's is the groin area of the suit; so it's from sitting on the bike; maybe too much of a stretch on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

My ma used refer to a pair of trousers as "a pants". Not "a pair of pants" but "a pants".

Wingman, you win the 2010 Manwithaplan's Ma Prize for Economy of Language for your use of "a slack's". Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

id imagine its cus there is no strech in them and all the pressure has been on the stiching.

you need better pants not a thread on boards!

• Advertisement

The rip on both suit's is the groin area of the suit; so it's from sitting on the bike; maybe too much of a stretch on it?
    Sexy.

Yeah its probably due to cycling but it would be the same on any bike, not just the dublin ones. The saddles are big though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ok my suggestion is no good then. Just make sure you're not going comando then or get better pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

My question basically is was this normal wear and tear or would the friction from riding the bike maybe have caused the slack's to rip.

It's not normal wear and tear because suit trousers are generally not designed to be be strong and tough like say jeans or tracksuit bottoms. Suit trousers are not designed for bike use. I'd say it wasn't the friction that did it so much as the tension that arises while pedalling. Lie on your couch at home with your suit on and pedal your legs in the air and you'll feel where the tension occurs in your suit trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi there!

I use Dublinbikes everyday; generally twice a day. I find them brilliant. It's great to see that the scheme is being expanded. I wasn't using them the last week because of the snow but maybe tomorrow I'll make a return :D

However; I have noticed that I have now ripped a second slack's from using the bikes. So basically I have destroyed two pretty good suit's :mad: I know I would have easily avoided this if I wore tracksuit bottom's but this has the added disadvantage of bringing my slack's in my bag to change in work. Yes I'm very lazy!

Mod's,

Feel free to move this to another suitable thread if you need to.

HAHAHA I mised the 'L' the first time I read this post. Less horrifying with the 'L.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

No doubt about it. The friction from your inside leg (near crotch) would be wearing the slacks far quicker than they were designed for.

I used to cycle serious miles every week & destroyed many pairs of jeans in the process.

You seriously have to invest in a suit with much better/harder wearing material or just wear track suit bottoms or even nice lycra leggings :D

• Advertisement

Heras%204.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

1.jpg?w=586&h=800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Erm......maybe your a bit to big down bellow....

Or to big....

But i digress...

Wear a kilt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

billy.fish wrote: »
    Erm......maybe your a bit to big down bellow....

Or to big....

But i digress...

Wear a kilt?

That must be the problem :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

Why don't you put in a claim against Dublin Bikes or JC Decaux or whoever for the damage, cos someone has to pay right?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

The answer to all your problems..

http://signaturecycles.com/document/123855
    Rapha and Signature Cycles are proud to announce a unique collaboration, the result of which is a genuine first: a bespoke three-piece suit designed specifically for the gentleman city cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd imagine you just need to get a pair of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14373
    Reminds me of that old joke,

When did the kerry man discover he had diarrhea?

When he took off his bicycle clips. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Balls Out":D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I accidentally the whole slack's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

el tonto wrote: »
    I accidentally the whole slack's.

What is this I don't even slacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is this I don't even slacks.

I think you're the point somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you're the point somewhat.