Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginners coursesa in Dublin Camera Club vs Institute of Photography

• 06-12-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks

Looking to start a beginners course in January and am trying to decide between these teo courses. I have a Panasonic bridge camera and an old Yashica Mat. Ideally would like a course that would cover the basics of both but if I had to choose one I'd go with digital.

The DCC course is cheaper and the times suit better but I get the impression that it is more lecture-based as opposed to the IOP course which seems to be quite hands-on. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

The IOP course also states that it is an exclusively digital course.

Equally if there are other better night courses in Dublin city centre that I am unaware of I would be grateful to hear about those too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I lived in Dublin I used to give one of the Lectures for the DCC Course. Yes it is mainly lecture based. There is a Saturday which is more hands on. The course is on Photography and is aimed more towards the image rather than the gear so a lot of the course does not matter if it's analogue or digital but there is some specific content both ways.

The price is less as all the presenters are voluntary. There is also an option to join DCC for a year at a discounted price. Those that join up can also attend a Beginners Outing where you break up into small groups with an experienced photographer and take photos. This is where you can get into the specifics of your own gear.

DCC is a very active club with meetings every Tuesday night and outings about once a month. There's also workshops and facilities available to members.

If you are going to do this course I would join soon as it now fills up by the end of December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah I would be looking for more of a hands on course that looks at getting the most out of your camera as well as some of the more theoretical stuff. I just find sometimes with lecture based courses that unless you're physically doing the activity in question your notes just go into a big folder at the bottom of your wardrobe never to be seen again... Or maybe that's just me!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd have to agree. I would be of a similar nature and learn much quicker with hands on, rather than listening to a lecture.

I know that IOP courses tend to be very highly regarded and you can learn a lot. Well worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah it'd be worth the extra few quid alright.

Cheers!

Advertisement