Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Direct Insurance - A frustrated complaint

• 06-12-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Apologies if this is not the done thing, but I am at the end of my thether with this crap. Delete if you must.

Sent: 06 December 2010 13:24
    To: 'info@quinn-direct.com'
    Subject: FW: 00c32266 FAO Pamela/ Chris / anybody who can help

Good afternoon,

Please see below response from Cartell stating that nothing significant is wrong with the car. Please find report attached.
    I have grown tired of Quinn Directs response to this issue, I have done everything that I have been requested to, yet still there is an A1 rating on my car, which stopped one of your customers buying the car. Nobody can actually tell me why this A1 rating is on the car and cartells further information proves this.

Please, could somebody, finally address this issue and tell me WHY MY CAR HAS AN A1 RATING?

I will keep at this until the car is cleared, if I have to take to the airwaves to get an answer, so be it.

Regards,
    XXXXXXXX
    Forwarded message
    Date: Fri, Nov 26, 2010 09:07
    Subject: 00c32266
    To: "XXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your message. The only issue the car check highlights in
    relation to your vehicle is that at some stage there was a gap in the motor
    taxation. This could have been before your ownership of the vehicle
    commenced. It is not clear why Quinn would have an issue underwriting this
    vehicle based on the taxation history.

Kind regards,

Cartell.ie
    Phone 1890 252331
    Fax 00353 (0) 45902725
    Web www.cartell.ie

You find the car… we tell the story.

******************** ******************** ******************** ******************** ******************** ******
    The information in this email (including attachments) is intended solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this in error please notify the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the written consent of the sender. Auto Records Ltd T/A Cartell does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Auto Records Ltd, Company Registration Number 393306, Unit 3B, Clane Business Park, Kilcock Road, Clane, Co. Kildare, Ireland

The information contained within this email is delivered to you under the Cartell.ie Terms & Conditions which can be viewed on www.cartell.ie
    Original Message
    To: info@cartell.ie ;
    Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 12:03 PM
    Subject: 00c32266

Vehicle Reg: 00c32266

Message Body:
    Hi There,
    I recently tried to sell 00c32266. I have had this car since 2007 and have taxed and insured it regularly. The proposed buyer was unable to insure it with Quinn Direct as it was classed as A1 vehicle. I then contacted Quinn who said they got this information from the Tax office, I contacted the Tax office who said they had nothing to do with such and have no record of any negative records of this vehicle. I then got back to Quinn who said that they got this information from a database and that Cartell report would be able to tell me the ins and outs of what was putting this stipulation on the car. I have just ran this report and nothing I can see is telling me what is wrong with this car. Please get back to me as soon as possible and let me know what is causing all this trouble.
    Thanks,
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    --
    This mail is sent via contact form on Cartell Car Check

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors forum

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what the hell is an A1 rating???

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

An A1 rating apparently means that the car has gotto the end of it's life, is not road worthy, or has been scrapped for breaking.

Might I add the NCT IS out on this vehicle but I put it through anyhow to find out what was wrong with it, and I paid 35 to cartell. Quinn insist it is not the fact it is out of NCT, as that would be a C1 rating.

pokingiris wrote: »
    An A1 rating apparently means that the car has gotto the end of it's life, is not road worthy, or has been scrapped for breaking.

Might I add the NCT IS out on this vehicle but I put it through anyhow to find out what was wrong with it, and I paid 35 to cartell. Quinn insist it is not the fact it is out of NCT, as that would be a C1 rating.

have to say never came across an A1 rating...

will Quinn not tell you why there is an A1 rating on it???
    Did a previous owner have a bad crash and was insured by Quinn, quinn writes it off, pays customer settlement value and car is then repaired and put back on road?

robtri wrote: »
    have to say never came across an A1 rating...

will Quinn not tell you why there is an A1 rating on it???
    Did a previous owner have a bad crash and was insured by Quinn, quinn writes it off, pays customer settlement value and car is then repaired and put back on road?

No, this would be logical.

In the words of Tax office person, and two quinn representatives there is no supporting data to show this car was formally written off. However they couldn't tell me why it had an A1 rating. and cartell tell me there is no reason why it should have an A1 rating.

This car was sold to a young man who couldn't insure it due to this mystery problem last month, makes me look bad, makes him feel like he was about to be victim of a quick one, I will not rest till these 'professionals' sort this out. I have lost out on money I was relying on and ended up spending money on the car to no avail. I don't want to sell it again till all this crap is sorted but the the geniuses and Quinn are still no help.

I will blatanly admit what IS wrong with the car, but this, ****!, this is just unbelievable. They don't know themselves even. A farce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Maybe it's a mistake on Quinns system

Have you tried getting quotes from other insurance companies, If the other insurance companies havn't red flagged your car and you have a clean cartell report, then your car should be saleable.

It's absurd that Quinn can't tell you why they think it has an A rating,
    maybe the insurance ombudsman would get more sense out of them.

If they can't backup their claim as to why it should be A rated, then they should remove that 'error' from their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

No, this would be logical.

In the words of Tax office person, and two quinn representatives there is no supporting data to show this car was formally written off. However they couldn't tell me why it had an A1 rating. and cartell tell me there is no reason why it should have an A1 rating.

This car was sold to a young man who couldn't insure it due to this mystery problem last month, makes me look bad, makes him feel like he was about to be victim of a quick one, I will not rest till these 'professionals' sort this out. I have lost out on money I was relying on and ended up spending money on the car to no avail. I don't want to sell it again till all this crap is sorted but the the geniuses and Quinn are still no help.

I will blatanly admit what IS wrong with the car, but this, ****!, this is just unbelievable. They don't know themselves even. A farce!
    I am struggling to see the sense in your 'issue'. When you sell a car, the buyer's insurance woes are none of your concern, it's for them to sort out with any insurer of their choosing. Now, it's good to see a seller that cares not to screw someone over, but the onus is all on the buyer to do cartell reports and to make sure they can get insured on a car before they hand over any cash. Simple logic applies.

I don't know the specifics other than what you've posted, but if I was to hazard a guess I'd say the vehicle in question is probably something sporty/flashy and the buyer is probably under 25yo and has a penis. If so, then the mythical "A1" rating is probably relating to him rather than the car, hence the messing around with QD who clearly do not want to insure him on the vehicle. I am sure they have their reasons.

If the above is untrue, then it's tough on the new owner but I still don't see how this is your burden to bear tbh.

PS quoting emails with 'copying forbidden' disclaimers might not be fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Strange that no one can even tell you what it means

It might be nothing to do with the car but a problem with the person who tried to insure it

Quinn probably cant give you details due to data protection and privacy etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It would be unusual for an insurance company to make up something like that about a car tho just to put off the person who is trying to insure it. From my experience they have no problem being blunt with people and telling them they just dont want to give them insurance :mad:

Id say its most likely a cock up on their system. If the buyer really wants to insure the car then why not just ring up someone else? There are plenty of insurance companies in Ireland and Quinn are just about the worst of them anyway.

And its not your responsibility to spend any more money on this. The buyer should have run all the necessary checks before handing over their money. Im aware that it looks bad on you if the car is being flagged as a writeoff, but when only one company who are known for being a bunch of clowns are saying it and noone else has a problem with the car it should be all the buyer needs to know. If there was a real problem with the car it would show up on Motorcheck/Cartell (which they should have paid for, not you).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Sorry to be a pain and like OP if im out of forum please ignore but the following question was asked of me today and honestly I couldn't answer, hope someone could help.
    My friend crashed his car which was brought over from Northern Ireland in May 2010 , since that it has not been NCT'd , however it has been taxed and insured since VRT was paid, when he goes to claim from insurance will this question come up and could insurance company refuse to pay out if the car was not tested ? No one ever aske'd him if the car was tested or not , is it in the small print somewhere that you have to declare this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Start a new thread.

Nothing flash about this car. here was it's ad. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1633012

The sale didn't go through and I wasn't about the screw the guy for something he had no notion of when he bought in good faith without NCT.

I am not too worried about the disclaimer but I see your point. I just want an answer, I have looked at it and questioned from every angle and they remained stead fast that this car should not be on the road and a cartell report would explain why....still none the wiser. I want to sell the car but I want peace of mind selling it. Don't want to add in the next ad (please check if you can insure this car before coming to view)

Original Message
    Sent: 09 December 2010 13:59
    To: XXXXXXXXXX
    Subject: Query 00 C 32266

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email dated 9th December 2010.

I have investigated your below queries and read through the Cartell report and their response and can I advise on the following.

When we use a vehicle registration number to quote or insure a car, it generates the make and model which is supplied by a third party company called "Risk Intelligence". They supply the information to us based on the car registration number. At some point in your vehicle's (registration number 00 C 32266) history, a previous insurance company has entered that vehicle's details as a write off (not road worthy) from a previous accident/claim. This could be human error, and it maybe possible that the previous insurer has entered the incorrect registration number into the Risk Intelligence database.

This error was not caused by us as the information is supplied from a third party who obtained the information from a previous insurance company. If the accident/claim was not with us then we would have no way of correcting the information. If your car had previously been insured with us, we could check the claims information and advise further but your car registration number is not linked to any accidents/claims or previous policies with us.

Category A1 means the vehicle has either been reported as "End of Life" due to "Category A" or "Category B" write off. End of life means the vehicle has been reported Risk Intelligence by an insurer as being end of life, this will fall into assessment categories A or B. Category A means it is worthy for scrap only and should be crushed. It should never re-appear on the road as there are no economically salvageable parts. Category B means the shell should be crushed but mechanically it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

If the vehicle has previously been involved in a minor accident, then you could refer to the previous insurer and ask them if they wrote the car off and to amend their records.

I am sorry this has caused you much grief and inconvenience but unfortunately we can only act on the information we have been supplied by Risk Intelligence. For more information on A1 vehicles you can contact the department of transport in Shannon on (061) 365000 or low call 1890 411412.
    Please also accept our apologies for not responding to your previous emails, I have searched our inbox and am unable to locate these.

If there are any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Administration Department
    Quinn Direct Insurance
    Phone: 0845 850 0845 UK & NI
    1890 89 1890 ROI

Ms XXXXXXXX

You have given me no satisfaction and I am €35 out of pocket for getting a cartell report that your office advised me to get that would give me an answer. I have also put up with nearly two months of this fairy tale goose chase that brings me right back to the start!

You have given me ifs, buts and maybes. I have been able to insure the vehicle for the last 4 years and only Quinn have this blatant error reporting and refuse to do anything about it.

I am not finished with this, but I can assure neither me, nor any of my family or friends will ever contact your company for any sort of quotation even. I have been bandied about, given false information from your team, told that such and such would lead to resolves and never did that happen.

I sincerely hope that Quinn Direct treat their existing customers with a bit more courtesy and dignity, and less of the condescending, 'wash our hands of this' lazy attitude. Might I also suggest some team training, as three of your esteemed staff have told me three different things, and now you, a fourth story.

With Bleakest Regards

XXXXXXXXXX

That's a pretty informative response from Quinn there. My next task would be to get in touch with Risk Intelligence and start tracking down the source of the information in their database.

TBH - your response didn't really achieve much. I understand that you're frustrated with all this palaver, but doesn't mean that you bawl out some administrator.

It is actually the same wishy washy maybe possibly response, with added total contradiction in places just for flavour response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would bet money that RI will not tell you anything saying it is between them and the other insurer.

It may take the intervention of the Data Protection Commissioner to get any info out of RI.

Haddockman wrote: »
    I would bet money that RI will not tell you anything saying it is between them and the other insurer.

It may take the intervention of the Data Protection Commissioner to get any info out of RI.

Quite probably - but the information does relate to you (as the car is your property), so that's where I would go hunting.

i would be actual more concerned that the car was an actual write off at some stage in its life.. and has been repaired and put back on the road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ms XXXXXXXX

You have given me no satisfaction and I am €35 out of pocket for getting a cartell report that your office advised me to get that would give me an answer. I have also put up with nearly two months of this fairy tale goose chase that brings me right back to the start!

You have given me ifs, buts and maybes. I have been able to insure the vehicle for the last 4 years and only Quinn have this blatant error reporting and refuse to do anything about it.

I am not finished with this, but I can assure neither me, nor any of my family or friends will ever contact your company for any sort of quotation even. I have been bandied about, given false information from your team, told that such and such would lead to resolves and never did that happen.

I sincerely hope that Quinn Direct treat their existing customers with a bit more courtesy and dignity, and less of the condescending, 'wash our hands of this' lazy attitude. Might I also suggest some team training, as three of your esteemed staff have told me three different things, and now you, a fourth story.

With Bleakest Regards

XXXXXXXXXX
    Dreadful response OP, all your questions were answered in great detail. If you find an issue in your car's history of which you were previously unaware, I'd hope you have the grace to apologize to this lady in QD.

Calm yourself for jaysis sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Savman wrote: »
    Dreadful response OP, all your questions were answered in great detail. If you find an issue in your car's history of which you were previously unaware, I'd hope you have the grace to apologize to this lady in QD.

Calm yourself for jaysis sake.

I completely agree. I can see your frustration OP but if I were to get an email like that you could be damn sure your case would be filed at the very bottom of my priority list...

I have no time for Quinn, but in this case they seem to be (at least partially) in the right. If they are given information that a car is a write off then of course they are going to have a problem insuring it. Unless they are provided with some proof on the contrary (other than your word) then they are obviously not going to change their position. They should be looking into the case with Risk Intelligence, but it would be no harm for you to give them a call as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement