Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webpage object placement

Options
  • 06-12-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm looking to create a website for my sports club. I know html, css, php, javascript. But to be honest with you i just never ever create anything decent. I don't know why i can't make a good website. Maybe my problem is placement of objects on the page. I hard code it and it always is a pain to get right. What do you do to place things on the page the way you want? Do you use a tool to develop in?

I realise this is probably elementary to you guys but i just need to ask the stupid question because i hate sucking at this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

If you know CSS then you should be able to place stuff where you want it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nackaman

Ha! Yeah you think so. So you would tweak it and check it as much as is necessary then? As i said i would just write teh code and check until it's fitting. But it takes ages and i'm wondering do you guys use a tool instead to place things rather than hard code them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried a open source CSS template? Or even a online CSS layout generator, some are good, will create the basic divs & wrapper to keep structure etc, this is assuming you wish to code the HTML/CSS manually, dont use WYSIWYG tools, there no use, and if the layout breaks using these its not suprising

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I always write the CSS myself, I used to use Dreamweaver when I started making websites about 4 years ago, but I find it easier to position things if you write the CSS yourself and make the design fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Do you mean from a design perspective or from a coding perspective.

If it's coding, then i'd suggest using a grid system like this:
    http://960.gs/
    or choose a CSS layout from here:
    http://layouts.ironmyers.com/

Just take that an modify it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement