Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Roof Options

• 06-12-2010 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Went down to the garage yesterday and water every where, the roof is currently corrugated cement sheets, I think Its time to replace as soon as spring comes along.

I'm wondering what people would recommend going for, dimensions are 6.5m x 5m. There's currently two wooden purlins spanning the 5m and supporting the lot. Was going to replace these with light weight metal ones.

I would probably go for non-insulated roof panels. Who supplies these around the dublin area? so I can get an idea of what lengths they come in & price etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

I did a new 20ft x 13.5th shed in august and the owner went with a bitchumin(not sure on spelling) roof. It's like tar soacked egg cartons. It comes in 2m lengths and can be cut with a normal hand or power saw. As far as I know most builder providers carry it but I'll find out where exactly he got it from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

7-8 inch braced roof joists,layer of breathable roofing membrane,roof battons and then tile effect cladding.This will last a lifetime with no condensation or drips.

Some of the big builders providers will stock and sell cladding.

Theres also the likes of Skyclad in Westmeath and theres a place in Dundalk,Louth that actually make the cladding in all sorts and shapes to suit your needs.

Job done.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi Guys,

Went down to the garage yesterday and water every where, the roof is currently corrugated cement sheets, I think Its time to replace as soon as spring comes along.

I'm wondering what people would recommend going for, dimensions are 6.5m x 5m. There's currently two wooden purlins spanning the 5m and supporting the lot. Was going to replace these with light weight metal ones.

I would probably go for non-insulated roof panels. Who supplies these around the dublin area? so I can get an idea of what lengths they come in & price etc...

Oh,and if the roof isnt sloped,and is dead flat,then maybe see if you can raise 1 side of it by a few inches and give it a slope so that no standing water sits on it and all water runs straight off and into a gutter.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for the input, think I will go down the cladding route, this is what the houses either side have done. I might see if anyone will cut to length and deliver.

Is there a special name for the metal purlins used? Ive often seen them in industrial roofing. I assume these would have no issue spanning 15feet/ 5metres...

Advertisement