Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gift ideas

• 06-12-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of a thread of Christmas pressies people can give that are made in Waterford.

Some proper Waterford Crystal (not that made in Indonesia crap)
    Penrose Crystal

A DIY food hamper with Dungarvan beer, Gallweys Chocky, Flahvans porridge, and luncheon blaas. The last might go stale though.

Any other ideas? They must be made in Waterford City or County, I don't want Tommy Hilfigger stuff bought from their Waterford shop :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What about the Discover Tramore calendar?! :D

Or, coming soon, Discover Tramore Christmas Cards! ;)

Both made in County Waterford! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

dayshah wrote: »
    Some proper Waterford Crystal (not that made in Indonesia crap)
    Penrose Crystal
    Penrose crystal is made in Waterford???? I know that they are in Johnstown but they don't make any glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Woodgate wrote: »
    Penrose crystal is made in Waterford???? I know that they are in Johnstown but they don't make any glass.
    I think dayshah was saying Penrose is the "made in Indonesia crap"? If they don't make the glass here (I think they might actually buy it from a Waterford company, Heritage Crystal) then surely they at least sculpt and engrave the glass, in which case I wouln't call it crap. You would still be supporting a local business if you bought it.

Speaking of glass, the new place on Henrietta Street is open. They blow their glass there and I think they make custom pieces on request. Irish Handmade Glass Company: http://www.theirishhandmadeglasscompany.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Also the Deise slang dictionaries would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Sully wrote: »
    What about the Discover Tramore calendar?! :D

Or, coming soon, Discover Tramore Christmas Cards! ;)

Both made in County Waterford! :)

waterford county forum is that way >>>>> :D

OT i got a old waterford pictures book in the book centre yesterday
    perfect for my dad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

A BIG box of Blaa's and some luncheon in a Xmas sock might be a good present :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SUNGOD wrote: »
    waterford county forum is that way >>>>> :D

Its on sale in Waterford to ya know :p
    OT i got a old waterford pictures book in the book centre yesterday
    perfect for my dad

The little red book from the local historian? Had a look over it myself - looked good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think dayshah was saying Penrose is the "made in Indonesia crap"? If they don't make the glass here (I think they might actually buy it from a Waterford company, Heritage Crystal) then surely they at least sculpt and engrave the glass, in which case I wouln't call it crap. You would still be supporting a local business if you bought it.

Speaking of glass, the new place on Henrietta Street is open. They blow their glass there and I think they make custom pieces on request. Irish Handmade Glass Company: http://www.theirishhandmadeglasscompany.com/

I thought Penrose crystal was made in Waterford, so it makes the good list. And at the very least it is engraved here.

By Indonesian crap I mean the line of Waterford Crystal that is made there. I don't know what line is made in the visitor centre. I know Lismore was made in Kilbarry, but I just don't know now.

Are you sure about Henrietta Street. I don't think its open just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I thought Penrose crystal was made in Waterford, so it makes the good list. And at the very least it is engraved here.

The fact it's engraved here isn't the point as the Waterford/Indonesia stuff could be engraved here aswell but both are no made here. The only crystal 100% made in Waterford is Heritage Crystal who are in Bilberry, they make their own stuff. However all the businesses do employ people here in town so deserve our support.

Woodgate wrote: »
    The fact it's engraved here isn't the point as the Waterford/Indonesia stuff could be engraved here aswell but both are no made here. The only crystal 100% made in Waterford is Heritage Crystal who are in Bilberry, they make their own stuff. However all the businesses do employ people here in town so deserve our support.

How do you know the Penrose stuff isn't made in Waterford?

Anyway, lots of businesses employ people here, but I'm really only interested in stuff made here for my Waterford Mega-Hamper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

A fair amount of Waterford Crystal is still made in Waterford, unlike a lot of our blaas by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Are you sure about Henrietta Street. I don't think its open just yet.
    I read an article about them, I think it was in My Wateford Magazine, that said they were going to be opening around the end of November. I don't know if they have actually opened yet.

I read an article about them, I think it was in My Wateford Magazine, that said they were going to be opening around the end of November. I don't know if they have actually opened yet.

I think they are delayed on account of the weather.
    wellbutty wrote: »
    A fair amount of Waterford Crystal is still made in Waterford, unlike a lot of our blaas by the way.

Which lines of W Crystal are made here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hayser15

Hi all, I'm involved with The Irish Handmade Glass Company and unfortunately we wont now be opening until January. We were originally due to open in late November, but sadly circumstances out of our control have meant that by the time we get making high quality glass we would have only had a couple of shopping days left until Xmas, leaving us with a limited stock in the shop. Instead we will have a full range of top class products made for the shop and stock built up for for January. Sorry about that. I can recommend Heritage Irish crystal highly, also Sean Egan Art Glass in the Museum of Treasures has excellent gift ideas. He sources a good deal of his glass from Heritage also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Which lines of W Crystal are made here?

It's not about the brand line, it's about the shape. Most stemware and tumblers are mass produced elsewhere.....Waterford is now set up as a giftware facility. This can include trophies, bowls, vases, lamps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Rosie O'Shea sells lovely artwork in the Square, Dungarvan

or beer from Dungarvan Brewing company.

or Knockanore cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Personal Training Sessions to lose all the extra pounds gained over christmas :0)

www.waterfordpersonaltrainer.ie

Ardmore pottery?

Azzurri sportswear

a voucher for a local restauraunt!

comeraghs wrote: »
    Ardmore pottery?

Azzurri sportswear

a voucher for a local restauraunt!
    Thats a good one, I forgot about Azzurri. Also, maybe combine it with a Sporthouse bag or gym voucher as a gift for a sporty person.

Which Off-licences / Pubs in Waterford city stock Dungarvan brewing Co beer?

• Advertisement

comeraghs wrote: »
    Which Off-licences / Pubs in Waterford city stock Dungarvan brewing Co beer?

Here is a list
    http://www.dungarvanbrewingcompany.com/find_us/stockists.html

I liked their Copper Coast Red Ale a lot. The Blonde Ale isn't my sort of thing. I haven't tried their Stout, but I was reliably informed by a Stout drinker that it was the nicest Stout he ever had.

There are a couple of lads in Waterford selling photographs of Waterford, and a couple of Tramore. One guy in City Square has just the prints in the thin black frame/cover you get with professional photographs - there stunning photographs including Waterford in the Snow. Then there is a chap called Tony Quilty who was at the market there in the city center - just before you cross the road to AWare. The photographs are printed on canvass, and has some stunning photos of City and County.

Then you have a lad who works with the local press and does a lot of the local photography, Gavin Downey. He works from home - studio@gavindowney.com / www.gavindowney.com. Photos of Tramore mostly, but also of the county and city. Lovely one of the Clock Tower. Did the photos on the Discover Tramore 2011 Calendar and Snowy Tramore Christmas Cards (bar one). Nice guy to deal with.

Sully wrote: »
    There are a couple of lads in Waterford selling photographs of Waterford, and a couple of Tramore.

You could put the photo in a nice Dungarvan Slate picture frame.
    http://www.slateways.com/slateways.shtml

Advertisement