Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scary new software

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Scary indeed. The department finally sent someone a microsoft excel course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭sparktest

snubbleste wrote: »

Ha.
    Excel and access - nice to know the professional development of the civil servants is on track.

Anyways... should I register with the PRTB if I have 2 tenants?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sparktest wrote: »
    Ha. Excel and access - nice to know the professional development of the civil servants is on track.
    Anyways... should I register with the PRTB if I have 2 tenants?

You live there, so no.
    But you should be declaring your rental income to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I am bringing in less than €10K/yr but not registered with the PTRB.

Maybe think about the rent a room relief:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

because:
    If you rent out a room (or rooms) in your home to private tenants, the rental income you earn will be exempt from income tax, provided this income does not exceed €10,000

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

snubbleste wrote: »

It's easy mock them but I heard word that Revenue has sent a number of it's staff on Business Analytics masters in UCD so they can draw patterns and meaning from the reams of data they have at their disposal. So it may take them a few years but I would expect there to be more of this kind of thing ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Who are the dept of social protection???

Formerly the Department of Social and Family Affairs, which was formerly the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs which in turn was formerly the Department of Social Welfare. Has been since earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭sparktest

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...om_scheme.html

I'll need to complete a tax return form so...

I have never declared this before so I wonder should I complete 3 forms for the previous years I have rented out rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

spoonface wrote: »
    It's easy mock them but I heard word that Revenue has sent a number of it's staff on Business Analytics masters in UCD so they can draw patterns and meaning from the reams of data they have at their disposal. So it may take them a few years but I would expect there to be more of this kind of thing ahead.

They've been doing analysis of data for Revenue protection for years. How do you think they decide who to audit? Nothing new here. Training of staff would be ongoing not new.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...om_scheme.html

I'll need to complete a tax return form so...

I have never declared this before so I wonder should I complete 3 forms for the previous years I have rented out rooms?

You should :) You won't pay any tax on that income but best to have it reflected.

Advertisement