Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HESS, Existing cavity wals, grant options?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Dear folks,
    I have been reading up on the Home Energy Savings Scheme on SEAI's website.

Under wall insulation, they mention a grant of €2500 for dry lining (Internal Insulation). This involves "fixing an insulation board to the walls and covering it with a vapour barrier layer and plasterboard."

What about a house where dry lining already exists?
    My house is an old cottage that was renovated in 1997 and had the old thick walls dry lined in a standard fashion. So the plasterboard is already in place,

1. Is it possible to have insulation pumped into the dry lining cavity from inside the house?
    2. How do HESS categorize this?
    3. How much would grant be?
    4. How much would it cost in total?

#4 (Old small cottage consisting of 4 rooms, ballpark figure?)

Many thanks for any help
    (I did phone SEAI and spoke to a girl who was seriously moody and told me that they did not entertain technical questions.......that's why I'm posting here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Hi Dnme by drylined in a standard fashion I am assuming you mean timber battens and plasterboard and having being done in 1997 you'd be lucky if you have some insulation between the battens, polystyrene of possibly fibreglass.

Firstly it is not possible to pump and gaps behind your existing drylining.

You can provide new drylinging either over the existing or to save space, rip out the old drylining and completely redo using the modern insulated composite board systems. Off the top of my head based on the size around 5k should cover it with the 2.5k grant but shop around with different contractors.

I hope that helps

Advertisement