Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.fight.ie IRISH MMA RANKINGS DEC 2010

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see why you value tickets at those prices and what percentage is taken as profit, surely that would stagnate some of the views that the tickets are overpriced?
    Is it anyone's business though? What percentage is profit will depend on how many people pay in. If enough pay in then the pricing is vindicated. Enough are consistently paying in to Cage Contenders shows.

Hey look I know I do some work for the man so this might seem like defending him but John knows as well as anyone that I'll criticise when I see something wrong, I just don't see what either party has done wrong here. One is expressing his opinion and the other has put on a successful show so is obviously vindicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Is it anyone's business though?

Not saying it is but then fightie will have to accept that his pricing of tickets will be questioned, and giving immature/irrelevant answers is not really dealing with that point to be fair.

As you said yourself the shows are successful and will always generate interest, so would it be feasible to drop the ticket pricing by 15/20% and still conduct a successful show whilst obtaining a realistic profit for the promotion?

I'm not suggesting that the ticket prices are overpriced but I would have liked to have seen a genuine response from fightie and why he feels such prices are justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

someones profit is their own business and if their savy enough to make it in a recession fair play to them.
    id imagine if he took 10 or 15% off there would probably be no profit.

i think all shows well any iv been to are value for money 20 or 30 quid isnt much for 3 to 4 hours entertainment, after all you pay a tenner for the cinema or into a club

With an MMA show you are getting a professionaly run (most of the time) event with lads who are training all week for a few months to put on a show and get dont get paid much for it, support you local fighters and promoters as most of them are trainers and last time i looked they werent driving posches from the money they make! no offence lol

i dont see a big difference in paying 25 instead of 30 if prices dropped, drink one pint less if its that much or bring a naggin, you know the dates start putting a euro a week away now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Not saying it is but then fightie will have to accept that his pricing of tickets will be questioned, and giving immature/irrelevant answers is not really dealing with that point to be fair.

My company put on shows in the public domain, and for that reason all that we do is questioned and rightly so. People pay the ticket price and that 100% entitles them to their opinion. And as anyone who knows me will agree we listen and react to everything that is said (yes, sometime with a pinch of salt)

The post that we are talking about was much more than a nudge at CC ticket pricing and for that reason I was not getting into a debate with the user (as I have no idea who he is or what his MO was. The user could indeed be genuine but there is also a chance it could be someone out to wind me up or a drunken simpleton without a clue)

I feel the quality of our fight card and our production etc etc warrants the extra €5 or so per person above what you would pay at a smaller club show.

Just as a matter of interest what would you feel is a fair price for us to charge?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

In general I do think that some mma shows, the tickets are overpriced when some fighters arent getting paid. I wouldnt mind paying 20-30quid if I knew that every fighter would get paid some sort of money, amateur or not.

In Cage Contenders defense like Barry said, they have alot more costs involved compared to smaller shows. Smaller shows are costing 20quid, 25quid and theres no lights, cameras, dancing girls,lol, runners, etc
    So paying a little extra to have that in fairness isnt a big deal.

I do think shows are pricey, even smaller shows to be honest. As I said especially if the fighters arent getting paid. Realistically it would be good to have the smaller clubs have smaller entrance fees and then smaller fees all round. However, I am happier to pay £20, £25 for a smaller show as most likely (or so id think), it would be going back into their club anyways and thats something I'd support regardless of the club.

At the end of the day, Cage Contenders is a business, its up to them what they charge and up to the people that want to pay to go watch the shows. Personally £30 is too much for me personally, but in that case I wouldnt go or I'd try and sell my services,lol

Im sort of contradicting myself alittle but mainly because I can see a few sides to my own argument. I cant afford to go to every show even though I'd really like to, Ive had to not go to my own fighters shows because I couldnt afford it with having to get two tickets everytime from the same household is difficult.

I also think a discount to club fighters would be a good idea or am I chancing things abit.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

As for the MMA Awards, why are you annoyed at that? Firstly it doesnt affect you, secondly there wont be any profit made. And if there was (which there wouldnt be) I would personally rear naked choke Johns ass! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

John,

Fair play to putting this together again, great for a bit of craic if nothing else.

Anyway, who is this 'Paul McVeigh' character that is ahead of me the P4P rankings? :eek:

I'd put people like Neil Seery and Damo Rooney above me as well on the list TBH, they've been busier and would be more deserving of being higher up the rankings IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Not blowing smoke up John's rear but I recently paid into an amateur kickboxing event. 25 beans and NONE of the fighters got paid. I believe CC prides itself on providing the best pay for fighters at their respective levels. John is running a business and putting on a show costs alot and involves alot of effort and i don't know anyone that will bust their ass for no financial return.
    Break-even points etc must be taken into account.
    Plus mma shows last up to and including 4 hours, a league of ireland soccer match can cost 20 quid in plus freezing your skin off for 2hours for low grade entertainment.
    The reason I chose a league of ireland match is comparable rates of pay and crowd sizes.
    Fair play to Mick though for voicing his opinion and while I may not agree with all of his arguement he has the right to make it.

Tim I think you're just great

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Brookins said a really mind blowing thing on TUF recently... he said "when there's an 'us' there's a 'them'".

As soon as you define something, someone is on the other side of the line. Fight.ie have defined something; their view of the rankings of competitors in Ireland. Fair enough. As soon as they do that, people's noses will be out of joint.

You know what I say... "good!"... now if only we had some sort of way of settling disagreements about who is the better fighter... I dunno, maybe some sort of 8-sided enclosure and a person charged with ensuring fair play..... Naaaaaaaah, would never work.

We should just stick to the old way.... revolving platforms and big pointy sticks to the music of Kirk vs Spock!

DeV.

ps: Fight.ie... my only piece of advice would be to drop both the word "official" and "IRISH" from it and simply call it the Fight.ie MMA Rankings. You are intrinsically linked to Ireland and its not really "official" (not in any way that isnt toe-curlingly contrived rhetoric... lets be honest! :) ). But fair play to ye for planting your flag and standing by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

Sorry to a bit slow off the ball (It must be my age..), but I just noticed your LHW comments, and was feeling a bit left out :( I'm hardly in anybodys rankings :p, and feel hard done by if you are including old codgers like Ritchie Moore. Us Pensioners have feelings too you know. I base my entire existence on Nostalgia! And you never know.. If Emmet can do it, so can the rest of us. If there were 90000000 hours in the day lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tommy1989

This is my first post on boards.ie but have been a keen viewer for some years now and this is a topic which I just had to get involved with. I have recently had a glimpse of these so-called OFFICIAL IRISH MMA RANKINGS, and my personal verdict of them is utterly appalling for several reasons.

No 1. I have been a member of the club sudden Impact for 4 years nearly and have seen a lot of shows, fought on shows for sudden impact and have cornered a lot of fighters from this club a few of which are Emmett McNally, Darren Hughes, Ryan Roddy and Conor Mulholland. Let me start with Emmett. Emmett is one of the pioneers of Irish MMA, along with Davey, Rodney etc I'm sure you will all agree. Emmett has been quite successful throughout his career and is currently the EFR WW champ, EFR promotions being one of the more well-known promotions in the country and has also fought tought competition such as rodney, bulvin ludo etc and has lost some but knocked out many and even has went through the canvas thats how old school he is, and for no mention of himself in the WW rankings is complete ludacris. Although I know the argument will be put across "emmett hasn't fought in a few years....etc", he would still put away many of the IRISH TOP 10 WW. Moving on to Darren Hughes. Darren in his own right is also one of the old school competitors, who has been through many wars and has shown his toughness time and time again and to be ranked no.10 is quite insulting seeing how he has beaten no more that two of the fighters and one of them twice and is also the sport fight scotland lightweight champ. Now onto Ryan Roddy, Ryan will be known by fighters from maybe 2 years ago + and not as well know by the new breed as he is not one to self publicise, telling people he does that "cage-fighting", fighting pose facebook profile pic types, of whihc he boasts a 1-0-0 semi pro and a 4-0-0 professional record and an english Northern Fight League LW title, but because he nor anyone in the sudden impact club boasts about "how macho, tough, rugged, and dam right spectacular" he may be, there is no credit given. Now swiftly onto Conor Mulholland. Conor has been around for quite a while also, holding a 7-0-0 record (not knowing how many are pro or semi pro), although he man be proned to more womanising than training at times and rocking out with his c*%k out he still has performed just as well in the ring/ cage and not one mention of him in these "rankings". That is enough about the little mention of Sudden Impact Combat club, we will venture into reason no.2.

No.2: Rankings of other fighters. Starting off with Liam Shannon, Although he has been about for a brave few years now and has recently moved down to WW I do not believe he should be where he is due to having just one fight so far a WW, I would of course place him no1 in the MW rankings as he dominated that division for years. Ronan deserved his spot at the top as he is most active, a great chap and a great stubborn, fight any f$%cker attitude which seems to be lacking in a lot of Irish MMA these days as alot of fighters are being nursed and lead to believe they are the **** cause they have a 121-76-3 amateur/semi-pro record but thats an argument for a different post. Moving onto LW. Well darren hughes deserves better positioned due to arguments previously discussed and Ryan roddy deserved mentioned also. Who or where is Micky Doyle from as I have never heard of you but have heard and seen a lot of alan hannon who deserved a higher ranking due to being one tough SOB, and now the infamous Greg Loughran. Greg deserves to be no1. FACT. I do understand the norman is on fire and want to wish him the best of luck in Finland in a few weeks, long may the streak continue but the sheer level of competition greg has faced is by far the most impressive in Ireland, stepping up against the likes of edddie alvares, peter irving, andre winner, Kenneth Rosfort-Nees, Arni Isaksson, Norman Parke, Robbie Olivier, Terry Etim, Daniel Thomas the list goes on. Although I undesrant he has had a bad string of luck in 2010 but this is because of the sheer level of comp and just plain bad luck due to the likes of the BAD cut lip in the CW title fight as he was demolishing the on fella(I was there to witness this). Lastly in the LW division, a un-sung hero and another unmentioned gladiator, that of aidan marron. he too suffered similar fortune to that of greg's and we are uncertain of his return to the ring but the level of competition he has also faced is 2nd to none so he also deserves a mention. In the featherweight division, both peter wilson and kevin mcalonan both deserve higher rankings. Both to their fight anyone attitude, e.g. peter fighting the likes of Reza Madadi, whom is a WW fighter for the sheer craic of it and kevin speaks for himself and can anyone remember his fight against chris stringer at LW. and now finally bantam weight. WTF is stevie mccombe doin at no.7, he is by far the most active of the lot and that says alot.

It seems a lot of old school fighters are being forgot about, the rodneys, the maulers, the slam hughes, the pattersons. My personal opinion Irish MMA has taken a step forward in terms of publicity and appearance but in result taken two steps back in terms of quality. Long gone are the days of the battles at the elk like the fregus vs doherty, mauler vs moore, lynch vs murtagh,gerard mcnicholl refusing to give up, where fighters where fighting for pride and the £ was a bonus, not fighting for photographs so they can have a cool facebook profile pic so they can show people how tough they are. There is something missing in Irish MMA now which is good owl fashioned stubbornness which has been swapped for nappies and wipes as fighters are being babied too much by not taking fights that may be too rough and ruin their pretty boy looks so they cannot go out @ the weekend and tell people about how good they are at UFC. Where did it all go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Hi Tommy,

Interesting post! :pac:

As you said yourself, Emmet hasn't fought in a few years; hence he is not on the list. That's fair enough by them really. If you haven't fought within a year then you shouldn’t really be on a ranking list as you aren’t an active fighter. That said, I agree with you that Emmet would probably do a job on a fair few of the lads that are on the list.
    I’d also agree with Darren Hughes should be higher up the list than he is. I don’t really know about the other guys you mentioned.
    Rankings are just opinions at the end of the day, I wouldn’t be getting too worked up about them either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Magic M

Tommy1989 wrote: »
    This is my first post on boards.ie but have been a keen viewer for some years now and this is a topic which I just had to get involved with. I have recently had a glimpse of these so-called OFFICIAL IRISH MMA RANKINGS, and my personal verdict of them is utterly appalling for several reasons.

No 1. I have been a member of the club sudden Impact for 4 years nearly and have seen a lot of shows, fought on shows for sudden impact and have cornered a lot of fighters from this club a few of which are Emmett McNally, Darren Hughes, Ryan Roddy and Conor Mulholland. Let me start with Emmett. Emmett is one of the pioneers of Irish MMA, along with Davey, Rodney etc I'm sure you will all agree. Emmett has been quite successful throughout his career and is currently the EFR WW champ, EFR promotions being one of the more well-known promotions in the country and has also fought tought competition such as rodney, bulvin ludo etc and has lost some but knocked out many and even has went through the canvas thats how old school he is, and for no mention of himself in the WW rankings is complete ludacris. Although I know the argument will be put across "emmett hasn't fought in a few years....etc", he would still put away many of the IRISH TOP 10 WW. Moving on to Darren Hughes. Darren in his own right is also one of the old school competitors, who has been through many wars and has shown his toughness time and time again and to be ranked no.10 is quite insulting seeing how he has beaten no more that two of the fighters and one of them twice and is also the sport fight scotland lightweight champ. Now onto Ryan Roddy, Ryan will be known by fighters from maybe 2 years ago + and not as well know by the new breed as he is not one to self publicise, telling people he does that "cage-fighting", fighting pose facebook profile pic types, of whihc he boasts a 1-0-0 semi pro and a 4-0-0 professional record and an english Northern Fight League LW title, but because he nor anyone in the sudden impact club boasts about "how macho, tough, rugged, and dam right spectacular" he may be, there is no credit given. Now swiftly onto Conor Mulholland. Conor has been around for quite a while also, holding a 7-0-0 record (not knowing how many are pro or semi pro), although he man be proned to more womanising than training at times and rocking out with his c*%k out he still has performed just as well in the ring/ cage and not one mention of him in these "rankings". That is enough about the little mention of Sudden Impact Combat club, we will venture into reason no.2.

No.2: Rankings of other fighters. Starting off with Liam Shannon, Although he has been about for a brave few years now and has recently moved down to WW I do not believe he should be where he is due to having just one fight so far a WW, I would of course place him no1 in the MW rankings as he dominated that division for years. Ronan deserved his spot at the top as he is most active, a great chap and a great stubborn, fight any f$%cker attitude which seems to be lacking in a lot of Irish MMA these days as alot of fighters are being nursed and lead to believe they are the **** cause they have a 121-76-3 amateur/semi-pro record but thats an argument for a different post. Moving onto LW. Well darren hughes deserves better positioned due to arguments previously discussed and Ryan roddy deserved mentioned also. Who or where is Micky Doyle from as I have never heard of you but have heard and seen a lot of alan hannon who deserved a higher ranking due to being one tough SOB, and now the infamous Greg Loughran. Greg deserves to be no1. FACT. I do understand the norman is on fire and want to wish him the best of luck in Finland in a few weeks, long may the streak continue but the sheer level of competition greg has faced is by far the most impressive in Ireland, stepping up against the likes of edddie alvares, peter irving, andre winner, Kenneth Rosfort-Nees, Arni Isaksson, Norman Parke, Robbie Olivier, Terry Etim, Daniel Thomas the list goes on. Although I undesrant he has had a bad string of luck in 2010 but this is because of the sheer level of comp and just plain bad luck due to the likes of the BAD cut lip in the CW title fight as he was demolishing the on fella(I was there to witness this). Lastly in the LW division, a un-sung hero and another unmentioned gladiator, that of aidan marron. he too suffered similar fortune to that of greg's and we are uncertain of his return to the ring but the level of competition he has also faced is 2nd to none so he also deserves a mention. In the featherweight division, both peter wilson and kevin mcalonan both deserve higher rankings. Both to their fight anyone attitude, e.g. peter fighting the likes of Reza Madadi, whom is a WW fighter for the sheer craic of it and kevin speaks for himself and can anyone remember his fight against chris stringer at LW. and now finally bantam weight. WTF is stevie mccombe doin at no.7, he is by far the most active of the lot and that says alot.

It seems a lot of old school fighters are being forgot about, the rodneys, the maulers, the slam hughes, the pattersons. My personal opinion Irish MMA has taken a step forward in terms of publicity and appearance but in result taken two steps back in terms of quality. Long gone are the days of the battles at the elk like the fregus vs doherty, mauler vs moore, lynch vs murtagh,gerard mcnicholl refusing to give up, where fighters where fighting for pride and the £ was a bonus, not fighting for photographs so they can have a cool facebook profile pic so they can show people how tough they are. There is something missing in Irish MMA now which is good owl fashioned stubbornness which has been swapped for nappies and wipes as fighters are being babied too much by not taking fights that may be too rough and ruin their pretty boy looks so they cannot go out @ the weekend and tell people about how good they are at UFC. Where did it all go wrong?

Interesting quote and in part very true! I totally agree with tim on the old school guys they would give any of the top 10 guys a run for ther money but it makes no sense to have them in the rankings if inactive if that was the case royce gracie would still be no.1 in the ufc.

Darren Hughes most def deserves to be higher in the rankings he is one tough sona b**ch and ha fught and proved himself not to mention a very active fighter.

Micky Doyle in my opinion deserves his spot he is the chaos champ and has beaton fighters such as dom mc connell and ronan mckay(twice) they are very very tough opponents and also he fights out of efr:)

Greg Loughran 100 percent deserves the no.1 mark he is a great fighter and has been in ther with the best yes he is on a losing streak but doesnt stray from the fact that he is active and who he has fought. Not taking anything away from norman he is a good fighter also fighting very tough opponents with an impresive record but I think we would all agree that he does not deserve the top spot on top of greg.

Myles

Advertisement