Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incomplete Degree!! Primary School Teaching!

Options
  • 06-12-2010 5:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi Guys,

Im in my final year of a 4 year course, doing a course in Accountancy & Finance in UL, which I now really dont like.

I have always been interested in becoming a Primary School teacher and regret majorly for not picking it over this current degree.

I know there is a post graduate Diploma in Primary Education, which is ideal.
    But, it seems to be very difficult to get into and Im afraid I wont get 2:1 degree that I think is required.

So, I would gladly do the 3 year course as a mature student, but Im not sure if I could afford the fees.

My question is.

What if I dont finish my current degree, and enter Primary Education as a mature student, Will I still have to pay fees?? Given that I wouldnt have completed my degree so therefore dont actually hold a completed degree??

Ive been trying to get answers from everywhere, so hope someone can help!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

DJL292 wrote: »
    So, I would gladly do the 3 year course as a mature student, but Im not sure if I could afford the fees.

My question is.

What if I dont finish my current degree, and enter Primary Education as a mature student, Will I still have to pay fees?? Given that I wouldnt have completed my degree so therefore dont actually hold a completed degree??

As far as I know, you only get your college fees covered once, open to correction though. It's not about completing your degree, it's more the fact that you have been covered for 4 years worth of college fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

as far as i know you'd have to pay fees for 3 years as you already have completed 1st 2nd and 3rd year of your present course and you only get one "free" chance for each year if that makes sense:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

You only get four years free fees. Students who drop out of a course after first year and decide to do something else will have to pay full fees for the first year of the other course. So if you have done three years in Accounting then you will have to pay 3 years full fees in the primary teaching degree if you are lucky enough to get in.
    Also aside from needing a 2.1 degree, that mightn't be enough to get you onto the Post Grad in primary teaching, I've had friends who've spent a year doing volunteer work, learning Irish and other things just to build up their portfolio to get on the postgraduate programme. I think they have also cut the number of places on those programmes hence why the online/distance learning programme is very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

You also won't be able to apply for a grant if you go back to start at undergraduate level again.

Finish your degree. It would be much easier to explain that you did the degree but didn't want to become an accountant rather than explain a four year gap with nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Totally agree with last poster. Finish your degree. For all the little difference it will make to fees for you. Have you honours Irish?

Advertisement