Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano lesson question.

Options
  • 06-12-2010 5:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering, is it possible to get piano lessons without having to learn the theory of music?
    I've learned quite a few instruments by myself, just by playing by ear. I've got a bit of piano down but I haven't really been sticking at it. I was thinking if I went to lessons I'd be more inclined to get into it properly, but I can't read music at all, and am not that interested in learning it.

So, do people teach piano in any other way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Depends what aspect you want to get into.. classical or pop?
    Classical - very visual and a long term commitment (ditch the ear and don't bother asking your teacher to play it for you so you can copy their hand movements)
    For pop you'd be talking about learning from chords/harmony which can be quite beneficial.. there are Keyboard classes you can do in a group which will get you up to speed fairly quick.. you can take a break after a few terms and work on your own and then go back to it.. I think Waltons newschool.ie in dublin do group courses at different levels...
    Other than that there are youtube courses which can be good , check out shawncheekeasy he's pretty good and does loads of popular tunes with a wierd notation system like guitar tab

Advertisement