Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lomography Starter Kit

• 06-12-2010 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into experimenting with a lomography camera. While I've been
    a fan of film for a while I've only ever shot in Digital SLR. I've done a little
    research and it seems some claim the "Diana F+" to be King of Queens while
    others argue that this title belongs to the "Holga" What do you guys think?
    Why should I pick one over the other? and are both compatible with
    accessories such as the "360 Spinner" and the "Fisheye Lens"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

The 360 spinner is not and accessory it's it own seperate camera. the holga is the poorer sister to the Diana and both have their own set of accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

As a matter of interest, what aspects of "lomography" attracted you in the first place? There are lots of great film cameras that aren't officially sanctioned by Pope of Lomography or whatever that you mightn't be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

charybdis wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what aspects of "lomography" attracted you in the first place? There are lots of great film cameras that aren't officially sanctioned by Pope of Lomography or whatever that you mightn't be aware of.
    +1. ''Lomography'' is really just a marketing scheme, but they are fun cameras to mess around with all the same. I use a Diana+ and I prefer it over the holga because you get more vignetting, blurred edges, etc. but it's never 100% predictable and can be tough to get good results the first few times. The type of film you use will make a big difference to your results. It's all personal preference but I like to use Neopan for b&w and xpro provia or most any slide film for colour. Get a cheap diana or holga off ebay and see how you like it and try some different film types and processing techniques. And you can also get neat results from a thrift store camera for a few bucks too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I got my diane+ as a xmas present a couple of years ago. I had never used a film camera before and ruined all my first shots. It felt very flimsy but if i'm honest i've avoided it since. I think it was the 120 film at the time that put me off, had no way to develop the stuff. I've switched to the mini for the "fun" and a "proper" film camera (no leaks lol).

I think op you should stick with a model that has 35mm unless you have good access to developing 120 film. At least starting out with film.

It's success is maybe down to media exposure and the fact the website/company make you feel its not that hard to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I think op you should stick with a model that has 35mm unless you have good access to developing 120 film. At least starting out with film.

I would tend to agree. It is expensive to get 120 developed and scaned. 15 euro a roll on average.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Been a while since I did any lomograpghy, but its great fun, I have a diana something or other, its really nice, might get it out again soon, although the getting 120 film deved is a real problem well for me anyway cos im in the sticks, if you live in a city you should be fine. I wouldn't go asking a lab to scan your roll of 120 1. it'll cost ya and 2. there might be only 2 decent shots on it. I used to get slide film cross processed in the camera exgange, georges st, Dublin for 3 quid. Bargain.

if your into the lomo thing, you might enjoy some pinhole stuff. http://www.matchboxpinhole.com/box.html and its free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pixels

charybdis wrote: »

I like the whole lo-fi side of it. I also think it's got a strong and unique community following.
    you might enjoy some pinhole stuff http://www.matchboxpinhole.com/box.html

Love this...cheers Brendan.
    I think op you should stick with a model that has 35mm

Yeah I'm gonna opt for the Diana Mini for this reason. At least to start out with...
    I use a Diana+ and I prefer it over the holga because you get more vignetting, blurred edges, etc. but it's never 100% predictable and can be tough to get good results the first few times.

Great insight...thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement