Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will someone please tell Ross Lyndsay (off Today FM)...

• 06-12-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

. . . That West Brom play their home games at the Hawthorns, not the Harthawns as he says.

Grrrrrr.

Any other pundits/presenters that can't pronounce grounds, players names etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe Woss has a speech impedimint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Col200sx wrote: »
    . . . That West Brom play their home games at the Hawthorns, not the Harthawns as he says.

Grrrrrr.

Any other pundits/presenters that can't pronounce grounds, players names etc?

TV3 as a station seem to have a policy of mispronouncing even the most well known clubs like Real Madrid.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OK, done. He says Hawr Hawr Hawr, glad it annoys someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

flahavaj wrote: »
    TV3 as a station seem to have a policy of mispronouncing even the most well known clubs like Real Madrid.

There is one commentator in particular, the large guy with the oddly shiney black hair...

"Corlos Tevays"
    "Rafa Benitays"
    "Maxi Rodregays"
    "Fanando Toerays"

after 2 mins it really does my head in.

I said that in a match thread once and I got "Why dont you just turn the sound off" as a responce... Great suggestion, ill just sit here in silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

Correct me if I'm wrong but some Irish commentators don't pronounce Jose Mourinho's first name correctly.Phonetically the emphasis should be on a h sound not a j.

Also sometimes I hear references to someone called 'Alec Ferguson' :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

wexfordia wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but some Irish commentators don't pronounce Jose Mourinho's first name correctly.Phonetically the emphasis should be on a h sound not a j.

It is José, not Hosé. If he were Spanish, it'd be Hosé.

It is José, not Hosé. If he were Spanish, it'd be Hosé.

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

Same goes for Brazil, where they speak Portuguese. For example, Julio Cesar. It's Julio, not Hoolio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

what about the way the english commentators pronounced kevin moran and paul mc grath.........they just couldnt get it right. the tools.

what about the way the english commentators pronounced kevin moran and paul mc grath.........they just couldnt get it right. the tools.

Yes I remember the way they used to pronounce McGrath (Big Ron Atkinson was one culprit) but how would they pronounce Moran ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

On fm104 I heard Ruud Gullit( pronounced gullet not hullet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Phil Yagielka annoys the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Yes I remember the way they used to pronounce McGrath (Big Ron Atkinson was one culprit) but how would they pronounce Moran ?

I remember that...they pronounced it More-Anne..used to drive me mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Kinsella or Kin-sell-a?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Tim Cahill , Tim Cay-hill :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

It use to drive me mad listening to the RTE panel afew years ago when talking about Ajax, they use to pronounce it A-jax and not I-axe as I thought was the name as I use to hear other commentators off different stations and other people in general pronouncing it I-axe but I was watching that Footballs Greatest on Sky a few months ago and Johann Cruyff was on it and he pronounced it A-jax, I'm pretty sure the Dutch master knows how to pronounce it and low and behold the RTE panel had it right for once but I think lately I have heard them pronounce it I-axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Berna-bow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

camp now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ac mee-lan

that particular pronunciation gets on my wick in a big way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Trevor Welsh seems to think the name of the club is Manches United going by the way he pronounces it.

Also there was a guy on 2fm radio James Short who couldn't pronounce his "th"s at all was very annoying

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    ac mee-lan

that particular pronunciation gets on my wick in a big way

Well that's the way it's supposed to be pronounced :D Though no one in Italy would say AC Milan or Inter Milan it's always Milan and Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Wasnt Roy KANE before he went across?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Trevor Welsh on TV3 drives me nuts with "Rayo-Madrid" and some English commentators calling Keith Fahey "Fay-hee". Then there's Tony Cascarino who gets nearly every name wrong.

gustavo wrote: »
    Well that's the way it's supposed to be pronounced :D Though no one in Italy would say AC Milan or Inter Milan it's always Milan and Inter

You mean Meeelan and Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he pronounces it Cay-hill though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

George Hamilton used to say Yup Schtum all the time when talking about Stam.

ziggy wrote: »
    And so there's nothing wrong with saying it where he is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Jack WilKshere gets used by a few

I think its Pat Dolan who says Gael Clich-ay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Your man on MOTD2 was pronouncing Peter Odemwingie (odd-em-wing-gay) as odd-em-whingy, and Colin called him out on it. Wish more presenters would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

George Hamilton is always derided for saying names wrong, but more often than not turns out to be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Apparently in Mexico the letter V is pronounced like a B. So Arsenal's number 11 is pronounced Carlos Bela.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Sami hooopiay
    Jamie Caraher
    Steven Jerr-aaaaard

TV3 Muppets.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Apparently in Mexico the letter V is pronounced like a B. So Arsenal's number 11 is pronounced Carlos Bela.

Incorrect, in Spanish, the letter V sounds like a soft B. Hence Vela sounds like Bela. To be more specific, you don't press your lips together when pronouncing the 'B'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The guy on Spin Sport. Pompey -> PomPAY.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    The guy on Spin Sport. Pompey -> PomPAY.

Spin 'deadly buzz' sport? Do any grown ups actually listen to that station?

Pretty sure Portuguese (or at least the Brazillian variant) pronounces "R" as "H" - i.e. Honaldo, Honaldhinho etc.

Jamie Caraher

Nothing wrong with that IMO - Similar to Gallagher which we would pronounce without the 2nd g

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

orourkeda wrote: »
    camp now

Is that not right?
    http://fr.forvo.com/word/camp_nou/
    keane2097 wrote:
    Pretty sure Portuguese (or at least the Brazillian variant) pronounces "R" as "H" - i.e. Honaldo, Honaldhinho etc.

And the L is basically a W and the final O a U, the D as a J and the T as a CH (at least around Rio).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Also sometimes I hear references to someone called 'Alec Ferguson'

That's the correct way to pronounce the name, it's what Alec Ferguson would call himself. Or at least that's what he says in his autobiography.

Draupnir wrote: »
    That's the correct way to pronounce the name, it's what Alec Ferguson would call himself. Or at least that's what he says in his autobiography.

Pretty sure I've heard him complain about being called Alex in interviews before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ports mouth.

Grrr!!! They are not separate words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Forget which commentator, but when Liverpool were playing Athletico a year or two ago he started calling Sergio Aguerro Sean Og Aguerro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

THFC wrote: »
    Forget which commentator, but when Liverpool were playing Athletico a year or two ago he started calling Sergio Aguerro Sean Og Aguerro...

Ha ha ha ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure who it is but was watching a stream of a Newcastle game this season and the commentator was calling Gutierrez, "Guti-yar-reys".

The fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

The amount of times people call Xavi --zavi instead of the proper pronunciation chavi annoys me.

Sami Hyppia---often referred to as Hip-e-a instead of hoop-e-a.

Dirk Kuyt ---is it Kowt or Koyt? Ive been told its Kowt but ive always said Koyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

kevin marr-an.........paul mc gratttttt.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not sure who it is but was watching a stream of a Newcastle game this season and the commentator was calling Gutierrez, "Guti-yar-reys".

The fcuk?

As opposed to what? How do you normally say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

'BRRRR-BAAAHHHH-TOFF' is how he likes to be called I heard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement