Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth restoring?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I've been looking for a bike to get from A to B for ages and my friend recently gave me one he found in his shed that's in a bad state. I know nothing about bikes but it is something I'd like to get into running order again. Problems with it are:

1. No chain
    2. Something broken in the middle of the back wheel (looks like a metal bracket at the gears that the chain might go through)
    3. Missing a spoke on the back wheel
    4. Gear's cable is splitting slightly
    5. Punctured tyre
    6. Has patches of rust all over

I don't mind the rust and presume the tyre is easily replaceable but how much work and more importantly effort would be needed to fix the rest, assuming gear's cable and spoke will affect the bike).

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you can throw up a few pictures it might be easier to tell and give recommendations eg is it worth it, costs, the bits you can ignore and not bother fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Probably not. I used to spend a lot of time fixing bikes up for friends and family. While you haven't told us the brand name of the bike frame or any of the parts, it's more likely than not to be a cheap bike made from cheap components. Financially you could easily end up spending more money than the bike is worth on tools and components. Timewise, given your apparent level of unfamiliarity with bikes, I'd say that you would spend a lot of time collecting the appropriate tools, learning the relevant skills, as well as figuring out what components you'd need. You'll probably also find that as you work on it, you notice more problems with the bike. This would only be worthwhile if it was a good quality bike to start off and/or you want to use it as a project to learn about bike maintenance and you have access to cheap second-hand parts. I'd imagine you'd be better off spending your money on a decent second-hand bike that is already a reliable cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fufidus

Thanks for all the feedback. To tell the truth I dont really have much of a budget for a used bike so i figured restoration might save me a few bob. here's a link to a couple of photos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

love the website hahaha brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

yeah don't bother..rusty block...it's a full sus..rusty pivots.... you could buy a junker like that new for just over 100 Euro.... splash out and go to your local bike shop and buy a nice hybrid for under 200 Euro....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

Yeah looks like a new cassette and chain at least, possibly a new derailer. Have a look on www.rothar.ie they do good work teaching kids about bike maintainance and save a lot of bikes from the scrapheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fufidus

love the website hahaha brilliant

It's a mates site and I had to get those photo's up somehow. Adverts just wasn't happening for me!

Thanks for the feedback. Truth be told I wouldn't have anywhere near €200 to spend on a bike so figured I might give this a try. I'v done a fair of maintenance and repairs to cars so presumed a bicycle would be a much simpler. If this could be saved for €70 or less I think I'd go for it. Do you guys think that can be done?

Also, rothar.ie looks to be a great service, trouble is, I'm out near bray and it's quite a trek away but thanks a mil for mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

you might be able to do the work no problem but you won't have the tools for it. Try taking the block (cogs on the back off) without the right tool... grief...

70 Euro would get you a working bike..

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1743412

80 Euro
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1742955

85 Euro
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1741753

Just have a browse on there and look in your price range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fufidus wrote: »
    1. No chain 10 euro
    2. Something broken in the middle of the back wheel (looks like a metal bracket at the gears that the chain might go through)
    3. Missing a spoke on the back wheelif you only car about it moving for a short while, take off the tyre and tube and take it off completely (if you cut it out the nipple will slip in and pry puncture your tube, from the look of the wheel it's one of those cheap ones that can't be fixed if buckled so the risk is yours
    4. Gear's cable is splitting slightlywrap in electrical tape for 1.5euro
    5. Punctured tyre5 to 8 euro to get a new one
    6. Has patches of rust all overignore it if your not looking for it to last longer than a few years

if it was me I'd sell it for scrap or give it away, as for the hassle involved, I'd prefer just buying a working junk bike for fifty quid. The Garda sale is on next week but they are normally overpriced from what I hear :( even with the prices I have given it might not even move without more through overall inspection.

Also try Picasa from google for uploading pictures
    mtbireland wrote: »
    70 Euro would get you a working bike.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1743412says its priced for sale so might get it for 50

80 Euro
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1742955

85 EuroI wouldn't pay anymore than 30 for this type of bike as they can be bought new for about 60 to 100euro nowadays
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1741753

i'd agree, ebay, donedeal, adverts.ie, buy and sell etc. will probably get you a functioning bike for a reasonable price

Advertisement