Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E36.

• 06-12-2010 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

I was looking at a BMW E36 (98 318 TDS).

It has 170k on the clock with no nct or battery. There is a wheel bearing gone in the back and the interior is very tatty. I have no idea what it would need to through the NCT.

What would be a fair price for this car. Shes driving away ok though.

I am giving my own Passat to a employee so I wont be doing that much driving.

I know I am after coming down the car ladder in a year but I dont care.

I have no link or pics.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Hello.What would be a fair price for this car.

I'd want to be paid at least €2000 to take that dog off the previous owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Hello.

I was looking at a BMW E36 (98 318 TDS).

It has 170k on the clock with no nct or battery. There is a wheel bearing gone in the back and the interior is very tatty. I have no idea what it would need to through the NCT.

What would be a fair price for this car. Shes driving away ok though.

I am giving my own Passat to a employee so I wont be doing that much driving.

I know I am after coming down the car ladder in a year but I dont care.

I have no link or pics.

This is a pig to drive , even when chipped
    Better to stay 316i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Piri wrote: »
    This is a pig to drive , even when chipped
    Better to stay 316i

No petrol cars.

I'd want to be paid at least €2000 to take that dog off the previous owner!

Are they that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

No petrol cars.

Ok I told

• Advertisement

Should I look for something else so???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ah surely the bangernomics thread can help ya

EPM wrote: »
    Ah surely the bangernomics thread can help ya

I can buy it for 350 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I reckon that navy e class diesel is worth serious looking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Should I look for something else so???

See the bangernomics thread. Plenty of cars for under a grand with a current NCT. Even nasty old school diesels ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    See the bangernomics thread. Plenty of cars for under a grand with a current NCT. Even nasty old school diesels ;)

I seen the Merc but the tax wouldnt make it viable. Are the 318 tds a ball of dung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I seen the Merc but the tax wouldnt make it viable. Are the 318 tds a ball of dung.
    I do not think they are bad. I was looking for one myself last year and I did some research. I viewed and drove one or two examples. The things that had put me off the car was not very good feedback about the fuel supply system (injection pumps leaking and some problems with fuel supply pumps). Nothing serious, but at the same time I accidentally came across an older Mercedes-Benz 190D and I bought it straight away, as I knew this is about the cheapest (and still comfortable) way of pleasant motoring. Since I bought the car we covered about 52k km and spend pennies on simple service (oil, filters, etc.). Another good advantage of the Benz is the fact that it will run on potato or carrot juice without any major hassle.
    All in all, if that TDS is good enough (the wheel bearing is nothing major), it may be worth taking it home, but make sure and check the car properly. You are not looking for any trouble with it I believe.

Another car that I would buy is the C200 Diesel:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1743148
    It has the same old good Diesel as the 190D (not to be mixed up with the C220 Diesel), but in a newer body. Yes, some will say it is a bit slow (who cares?), not as well built as the 190D (some quality savings that came up with that generation), but mechanically is fine, reliable and very cheap to run.

Cheers I think I will buy the Bimmer considering its so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Cheers I think I will buy the Bimmer considering its so cheap.
    Tell us how ya get on with the nct etc. If it has a wishbone suspension could be expensive to put thru the nct.

Good luck.

They are complete and utter dirt. Engine is dire even when it was new, the one you describe sounds a money pit.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Tell us how ya get on with the nct etc. If it has a wishbone suspension could be expensive to put thru the nct.

Good luck.

Cheers. I will post pics etc. I have had to down the ladder a lot but thats the recession for ya. I had a 07 Audi A8 last year but had to sell it. Hope good times come again..:)

RoverJames wrote: »
    They are complete and utter dirt. Engine is dire even when it was new, the one you describe sounds a money pit.

It isnt a bad I suppose. I always loved bangers when I was younger so I suppose you could call it a blast from the past..:cool:

Cheers. I will post pics etc. I have had to down the ladder a lot but thats the recession for ya. I had a 07 Audi A8 last year but had to sell it. Hope good times come again..:)

Fingers crossed they do, me thinks they will ;)

Back to the Bimmer, it's not cheap, I reckon you won't have an NCT on her without throwing a good few hundred at it. And it will be a rotten yoke that you will hate. You'd be better off finding a tested E34 diesel for a grand.

Fingers crossed they do, me thinks they will ;)

Back to the Bimmer, it's not cheap, I reckon you won't have an NCT on her without throwing a good few hundred at it. And it will be a rotten yoke that you will hate. You'd be better off finding a tested E34 diesel for a grand.

True. They were a nice motor actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

You'd be better off finding a tested E34 diesel for a grand.
    The one you mentioned is the 525 TDS and the 2.5 TDS engine is one of the worst they ever made (reliability wise).

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    The one you mentioned is the 525 TDS and the 2.5 TDS engine is one of the worst they ever made (reliability wise).

Well a tested one that has gotten as far as 15 ish years old bought for a grand is a good enough bet. They also weren't that bad at all, the petrols were bulletproof so in comparison most yokes are not as reliable. The 1.7 e36 diesel was the biggest heap of sh1t they ever sold aside from the compacts.

Advertisement