Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you live on the Fife Diet in NCD?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Ok a bit of a foodie thread, I thought this time of year is a good time to start it when you realise the amount of fruit and vegetables we import due to our climate.

In the UK various local food groups have started to emphasize the importance of eating locally sourced and in season food with the Fife Diet among the leaders, basically they try to push the boundaries of locally sourced food as much as possible to limit air miles and also support local producers. So they try to source most of their food diet from within the confines of the county of Fife. A similiar project has started in Tipperary. So my question is could you do the same in NCD and what foodstuffs can you buy that are produced locally and where?

I don't think it could be done myself, unless your prepared to raise your own meat or pickle and preserve alot but you might be able to surprise me with the range available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Great Thread, I buy my veg from the farmers market in Balbriggan, but would love to know where I can just go up and buy direct, from the field.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

We get loads because of the BF working in farming industry (looking after farm machinery) so farmers would often give him a bag of spuds or carrots etc.

Keoghs (you can buy in Supervalue and the likes) grow their spuds in Oldtown.

Pat Clarke up in Stamullen sells his fresh strawberries on their yard.

Country Crest grow all their own too and sell ready made meals again in the likes of Supervalue, all grown in Jordanstown, Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its all well and good buying local....... if you had the money. I could happily live on food that is groen in ireland. but i could not afford to i dont think ..

for example tomotoes in aldi are way cheaper than irish tomatos. ( i think aldis tomatoes are from isreal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Martron wrote: »
    its all well and good buying local....... if you had the money. I could happily live on food that is groen in ireland. but i could not afford to i dont think ..

for example tomotoes in aldi are way cheaper than irish tomatos. ( i think aldis tomatoes are from isreal)

Well here is where free choice kicks in, do you need to be buying tomatoes out of season? You could buy irish toms in the middle of the Irish Season when there at the cheapest price and most flavoursome then either preserve or replace with something else in your diet. Your grandparents didn't have the range of food choice that you have now but they managed to survive.

The Fife diet does restrict your choices especially in the winter months but works on the principle your eating whats plentiful and so cheap. You could call it a form of rationing but nutritionally your diet will improve as your food will be fresher with less degradation of nutrients in the food. The European population was at its healthiest during rationing in the late 40s and obesity was unheard of. It does call for more inventive cooking do at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And unfortunately because of the society we live in today most people have neither the skills nor the time for preserving food nor inventive cooking.

It is a nice ideal to aim for, but in reality not very practical. Are you trying it yourself &, if so, how are you coping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hill Billy wrote: »
    And unfortunately because of the society we live in today most people have neither the skills nor the time for preserving food nor inventive cooking
    I would be a typical example of that. I never ever cook for myself and I'd be lucky to visit a supermarket two or three times a year. I just don't have the time or interest for it. I'm too busy working and whatever free time I do have will certainly not be spent shopping or cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i see what you mean but , i still believe foreign produce ( even if in season at the time in ireland) is cheaper.

would definately be interesting to do it.

as for the cooking part....... it would not be a big change really , you would be suprised how easy it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

For this to work it would be great if someone knew websites for simple preserving and pickling recipes.

I was recently allocated an allotment in Turvey, so I'm now trying to plan crops for next year so we can start to become self sufficient.

Must look to see if there's a gardening thread that has those type of links.

Spidermany wrote: »
    For this to work it would be great if someone knew websites for simple preserving and pickling recipes.
    Try searching in the Cooking & Recipes forum.

I believe there's a huge interest at the moment in keeping pigs and hens in your backgarden. I've heard it discussed on the radio a couple of times recently. I had a friend who kept hens. The eggs were huge and absolutely gorgeous. Much nicer than supermarket bought.

Does anyone do it?

Cathy01, can you post details of the farmers market? I don't know Balbriggan very well, and I wouldn't be sure of the names of the streets.

• Advertisement

And unfortunately because of the society we live in today most people have neither the skills nor the time for preserving food nor inventive cooking.

It is a nice ideal to aim for, but in reality not very practical. Are you trying it yourself &, if so, how are you coping?

Well I do grow a good range of fruit and vegetables in the summer but don't preserve enough. I use a second hand book on preserving and storing fruit and veg that was published in the 1950s. Storage techniques for preserving haven't changed that much and the 50s were the last of the golden age before freezers and refrigerators were common. Some items like garden peas I find are not practical to grow unless you have a hugh amount of space to grow, yield after shelling can be pretty low.

We have a hugh range of fruit and vegetables grown in NCD but the majority of farms have developed into monocultures(grow one crop) so the farmers markets or local shops that sell local product would be a better option than going directly to each farm. We unlike the rest of the country have more fruit and veg growers than livestock farmers. I can see a few major diet gaps but maybe posters know of local produce.

Dairy- Are there any dairies in NCD? Cheese makers?
    Jams- Any local producers?
    Meat- Does anyone know of any local craft butchers that source local meat?
    Eggs- Local egg producers?
    Bread- Local bakers? I know its a tad of a cheat because the flour is most likely french but it is local craftsmanship.
    Millers- Any local millers of flour?
    Brewers- Man can not live on food alone! :) I have found a cider and wine maker but do we have any craft brewers?

Local ready meal producer, most would know them for the wind turbine in Lusk.
    http://www.countrycrest.ie/produce.html

David Llwellyn- local Lusk apple grower, cider and wine producer.
    http://www.fruitandvine.com/

Howth Fishmongers- I find the further you walk down the pier the cheaper the shops. Links to two of the shops.
    http://www.dorans.ie/
    http://www.nickysplaice.com/

Jams- McNally's Family Farm in Balrickard (near The Naul) does preserves. They sell their wares (including vegetables) in the Temple Bar Food Market.
    Eggs- Paddy Byrne on Barnageeragh Hill (200m on the left as you go from Ardgillan Gates towards the coast road between Balbriggan & Skerries) does organic hen & duck eggs. He also sells a selection of organic seasonal vegetables.
    Brewers- David Llewellyn in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I believe Skerries MIlls sell their own flour too.

And I know the Porterhouse in Dublin brew their own stout (and it's lovely) but don't know anywhere in NCD.

River Cottage website has great advice for preserving and the likes.

sNarah wrote: »
    I believe Skerries MIlls sell their own flour too.

And I know the Porterhouse in Dublin brew their own stout (and it's lovely) but don't know anywhere in NCD.

River Cottage website has great advice for preserving and the likes.

Ohh i forgot about the Porterhouse, Blanchardstown so NCD. There largers are good, oyster stout is just salty! There ordinary stout is not as good as O'Haras from the Carlow Brewing company but we now have beer in the NCD diet.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Ohh i forgot about the Porterhouse, Blanchardstown so NCD.
    I think that the posters in Dublin County West might have something to say about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Great thread.

I think we could live comfortably on locally grown produce. I am not one for any fancy food, just like it pretty basic. But we do make a big effort to buy only local where possible if possible.

Perhaps there is an oppertunity for someone from around here to start up a nice little business. Irecently got a lovely pot of Jam at the craft fair in Rush and it was delicious. A local Lady has a stall.

Garden of Eden Herbs in Rush are now supplying some of the top Restaurants with their locally grown herbs. It is quite a big operation now but started to diversefy from Vegatables. I see Pat Butterly from the Cross (beside Hoares Garage) is now selling what he grows from his yard and Anthony McGuinness in Bird of Paradise is doing like wise.

Dont know if its appropriate but maybe we should list N.C.D farms, growers that seel to the public

Do you think Love Irish food has a role to play here?

Would be interesting to see if some enterprize board or Pat Kenny launched a competition through his Radio show, to find 5 start-up food companies which using this local produce as a guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I know I've mentioned it before but I try to buy & preserve what is in season when and where I can.

Jams, preserves etc. Make my own bread; I use the Skerries flour when I get my hands on it as I don't drive. Buy fruit/veg from the North Dublin Growers in the local Market, farmers in Naul or from the GIY stall OR gratefully accept surplus from generous family members.

It's proving far more economical than buying from supermarkets, the quality is much better and we are all eating far better. I do every now and again slip and buy from a large retailer but overall we are eating far more locally than this time last year.

Not even from the point of view of the Fife diet but buying Irish made products from Irish producers. Many people are getting homemade presents for Christmas from our house. I just did a trial batch of homemade truffles. Irish made chocolate, Irish cream & Irish whiskey. Doesn't get much better than that.*

The largest Tesco in Ireland is soon to open in our area. While I welcome some new jobs I dread the thought of how many will be sacrificed elsewhere. Shop local, spend local & eat locally where you can.

*Family members who read this you can fight my husband for samples if there are any left at this stage.*

Does anyone know what happens to the fruit and vegetables in the Ardgillen walled garden? Quite an extensive range, seems a terrible waste if they don't use it as a working kitchen garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Brewers- David Llewellyn in Lusk.

Did you ever try his wine? Keep meaning too, but I think it's €50 a bottle. Don't mind paying for it, but I'd love a good review first.

Talking red wine, by the way.

Does anyone know what happens to the fruit and vegetables in the Ardgillen walled garden? Quite an extensive range, seems a terrible waste if they don't use it as a working kitchen garden.

They used to use them in the Cafe but I'm not so sure about that as the operator changed. I would be surprised if it weren't used. If they're not sold then the gardeners would probably take them home, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Did you ever try his wine? Keep meaning too, but I think it's €50 a bottle. Don't mind paying for it, but I'd love a good review first.

Red, it says on his website that its sold out. I imagine it would be memorable!! But for all the wrong reasons. All the truely good northern european wines are white, you need more sun to ripen the red grapes to give them that fuller ripe alcohol flavour and light levels in northern europe only really allow you to grow white to any good standard of flavour.

Drinkstore.ie have the Red in stock but only in half bottles at €25. He seems to only grow small volumes, really a nolvelty wine rather than an award winner. But its a great way to gain publicity for his ciders which I believe are really good.

Jimdagym wrote: »

I've not tried it. I doubt the quality would match the price. I may be very wrong though.

Is there a listing of local farmers markets anywhere?

Or should I start a new thread?

There is/was on Ella McSweeney's blog but it seems to be inactive. http://www.yourfieldmyfork.com/

Use the search function as there have been a number of threads about this already.

A bit of a touchy point too, alot of the stall holders at the local farmers markets are professional stall holders that do a circuit of farmers markets throughout Ireland so can you truely call them local farmers markets? Artisan markets perhaps might be a better term. Also I have pointed out before as some in the farmers forum have also pointed out in discussions on farmers markets some of the products sold are not produced by the stall holder but bought in to widen the stall offering and the irishness might be questionable when you see the foreign produce packaging stacked at the back of the stall containing produce.

Full list of Bord Bia Approved Farmers Markets with contact details.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/pages/default.aspx

As I said the diet can help control calorie intake by restricting your options. This article might be of interest and combine that with my comments about kids walking or cycling to school in a previous thread rather than been drove by parents.

Perhaps our Swiss expert :)can tell us why the swiss(2nd lowest) have such a low level of obesity while Ireland is the second highest obese in Europe after GB.

Source: BBC News 2010

Over half of adults living in the European Union countries are now overweight or obese according to a report.

The rate of obesity has more than doubled over the past 20 years in most EU member states, international experts say.

The UK comes out worst, shortly followed by Ireland and Malta, where a quarter of the population is obese.

World experts meet this week to discuss how to reverse the "worrying trend".

The European Commission and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) who compiled the Health at a Glance Europe 2010 report believe the key to success is encouraging children to adopt healthy habits.

Currently, one in seven children in the EU is overweight or obese - and the figures are set to rise even further

Only one in five children in the EU exercise regularly. Physical activity tends to fall between the ages of 11 and 15 in most EU Member States.

Children who are obese or overweight are more likely to suffer from poor health later in life, with a greater risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, some forms of cancer, arthritis, asthma, a reduced quality of life and even premature death.

EU
    Obesity levels in Europe
    FIVE "WORST" COUNTRIES

UK - 24.5% of adults are obese
    Ireland - 23%
    Malta - 22.3%
    Iceland - 20.1%
    Luxembourg - 20%

FIVE "BEST" COUNTRIES

Romania - 7.9%
    Switzerland - 8.1%
    Italy - 9.9%
    Norway - 10%
    Sweden - 10.2%

Corsendonk have you checked out the GIY (Grow it yourself) Ireland model? www.giyireland.com They have a very interesting forum and there are plenty of local people growing their own produce. Don't forget Sonairte, while just over the border, is well worth a visit too.

• Advertisement

Perhaps our Swiss expert can tell us why the swiss(2nd lowest) have such a low level of obesity while Ireland is the second highest obese in Europe after GB.

Diet-wise, there's not a huge difference between the Irish & the Swiss. Lots of carbs (pasta, spuds, spätzli, etc.) & meat with heavy sauces. Not to mention raclette & fondue during the winter. They like their drink too. However, they do tend to enjoy side salads with their meals year-round.

Most likely because they lead such a physically active lifestyle. There are great sports facilities over here for people of any fitness level to enjoy. Even for the non-sporty types there are walking trails through farmland, forests & mountains all year round. Then there are the winter sports! Alas, I'm more into sledging & you don't tend to burn to many calories hurtling down a mountain at 50kph on your ass. :)

139227.png

Advertisement