Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tomb Raider

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5707092/new-tomb-raider-to-trace-the-origin-of-lara-croft

I really enjoyed the Legend Trilogy, hopefully this will be better. I wonder if it's a reboot or set in the same continuity? The former seems likely.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that there won't be more downloadable games like Guardian of Light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its an origins story, so its a reboot.

Oh, and Guardian of Light was bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah read on Eurogamer that its a ground up reboot.

Kind of looking forward to it too. TR1 and 2 hold alot of nostalgia value for me. Id like to see a new take on it as its gotten very stale in recent years, despite the better, more recent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Crystal Dynamics still hasn't won me over like Core design did in my ps1 days

still to this day last revelation and tomb raider 2 are my fav in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive

Blatantly stolen from The Burning Shore. Which is good, because that book is awesome. Nice story for a game actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Zillah wrote: »
    Blatantly stolen from The Burning Shore. Which is good, because that book is awesome. Nice story for a game actually.

^^

Pretty much the plot of Minecraft also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Nathan Drake has really given Lara two swift kicks in the teeth with Uncharted 1 and 2.

I remember playing Uncharted then Underworld then Uncharted 2 and thinking "Wow, Tomb Raider really is antiquated"

I'm glad they are getting rid of the live models tbh. They are from a past era in gaming. In the original, low polygon days where you still had to use your imagination playing as Lara I suppose they felt it necessary to show the prepubescents what Lara was supposed to look like.

Now, there is no need. If they want to create a game to be taken seriously in direct competition with Uncharted they need to lose the gimmicks and sell the game on a solid plot, excellent voice acting, an immaculate and detailed environment and consistent gameplay.

I fear they've lost their crown for good though. But we'll see. I felt Anniversary was a move in the right direction, but they took another two steps back with Underworld.

They need to forget trying to turn the game into a TPS and going head to head with Uncharted and stay with the basics. Intricately designed labyrinths and mazes, with head scratchingly difficult puzzles and the dread of being trapped there forever, and please Xenu, drop the QTE's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

While they are rebooting pretty much everything else, they may aswell do Tomb Raider too. I'll be honest though, I do like this idea. It would be nice to see Lara as a frightened lost girl, as opposed to the regular kick-ass chick we see in the rest of the TR games. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Oh, and wasn't it a plane crash that left her stranded originally, and not a boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

deathrider wrote: »
    Oh, and wasn't it a plane crash that left her stranded originally, and not a boat?

Yeah, in the Legend Trilogy. If this is a total reboot, the events of those games will be overwritten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be looking forward to this game. Crystal Dynamixs are a good team. Legend was ok but Anniversary was very good and I haven't played underworld or the downloadable game yet. Seems like a completely new direction to take the game in as well. I hope it's more exploration based than action based becasue tbh I don't see them beating uncharted if they go head to head. If they make it more Ico than Uncharted I'd be very interested. At least it's not emo Lara like we are getting in DMC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Mr. K wrote: »
    Yeah, in the Legend Trilogy. If this is a total reboot, the events of those games will be overwritten.

Oh, then I'm not too sure about this. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see where it all began, but surely a prequel would be more appropriate than a full-on reboot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We got a sort of prequel already in the 4th one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'd prefer they stayed in the Legend continuity, since it's still so recent. I don't see why they need to reboot it entirely, it's not like it's a confusing mess or anything! This could just show us how Lara became awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The likelihood is they will try to reach the bar set by Uncharted by making a very cinematic engaging experience. Since they released Guardian of Light to such acclaim, they may even fundamentally change what TR is and go with a straight up Uncharted clone, third person camera, cover mechanics etc. Personally Id prefer if they just got back to doing what the original game did so well, big believable 3d environments, great level design, evil puzzles. Just a sense of you against the game. It would be great if they'd ditch the showbiz aspect of the franchise and just get back to basics. I doubt it'll happen though.

Advertisement