Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platinum Recording now open

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

I’d like to let you all know about a new music studio – Platinum Recording. You can check out the studio on the following website,

www.platinum-recording.com

Let me know what you think?

I’ve been playing and recording music for the last 25 years in Ireland and the UK, completed a music production course in the UK and I’ve enjoyed playing in various bands from original rock bands to cover bands playing in pubs and clubs. It’s always been my long term goal to open my own place and in March of this year I started putting the studio together.

The studio is now open for business and I’m currently working with a number of musicians on getting samples up on the site of the quality recording environment.

I’ve based the studio around a Pro Tools 8 HD rig and a Digidesign ProControl desk. It’s a great desk, very tactile and really improves my workflow inside Pro Tools.

Some of the equipment in the studio are industry standards,

Mic Pres - API, A-Designs, Purple Audio, Shadow Hills (Mono Gama – amazing mic pre)

Microphones - Shure, AKG, Neumann, Sennheiser, MXL

Guitar amps - Marshall 1987 Plexi x, Engl Fireball 100

Guitar cabs – Marshall 4x12, Engl 4x12 and a Mesa Boogie 2x12

Drums – Pearl Export 5 piece kit with Paiste Dimensions Hi-Hats

The Location of the studio is on the border of three counties, Carlow, Kildare and Laois. 3 miles outside Athy in Grangemellon.

As a special offer, the rates for the studio are as follows.

1 Days recording - €350 inc VAT (10 hours per day)

2 Days recording - €300 per day inc VAT

3 days recording - €300 per day inc VAT + an extra day recording free. On this offer you get 4 days recording for the price of 3. Spend 3 days recording, overdubbing and come back a fourth day with fresh ears to mix and master.

Give me a call for a free consultation on your next recording or project.

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

nice looking place you got there paul :cool:

did you build it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Platinum Recording

Thanks DamagedTrax,

95% built myself,

Plumbing, hanging doors, window frames and some of the trim was left to the experts.. It has taken longer than first expected but, I'm very happy with the finished studio. At the start I built one wall 4 times just to get it right!!

The musicians I've had in already have told me they found the studio a very comfortable place to spend long hours.. A good sign :):)

I've kept a video and picture diary of the complete build from start to finish. I'll put the pic's and video up on the website soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Congrats Paul.

What's the story with Acoustics ? I feel it's the thing that separates studios.

Thanks Paul,

Yeah, I agree, acoustics are very important in the set up and how sound can be controlled within the studio.

Its hard to see from the pics on the website but the walls are not painted black and red..

The walls are 6" stud partition with 2 layers of 3/4" plasterboard on top of that are 2" x 2" battons infilled with 2" insulation and finally covered with black and red 'cara' fabric material. In the control room the front and back wall have 4" of insulation and then covered with the material. The insulation was expensive but I feel worth it. The walls have an insulation value of 100kg/m3 and the insulation on top of the walls are a mix of 60kg/m3 and 45kg/m3.

In the larger 'live' room I've went with wood panelling on the ceiling and again 2" of insulation on the walls covered with the red material.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I meant 'Acoustics' as in the sound of the rooms (Reverb times, Freq and Impulse response etc) rather than isolation, which I believe is of less importance.

I believe it to be mission critical in an age where everyone has access to good (and sometimes great!) gear.

• Advertisement

Sorry Paul, I misunderstood you..

I haven't measured my rooms as yet, its on my to-do list.. once completed I'll let you know the results.

Advertisement