Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which tyre would you pick ?

• 06-12-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all

As I've said in another thread, I've fallen in love all over again with my Hilux. It has been fantastic over the last few weeks, we have had over 2 ft of snow here (high ground), black ice everywhere, and it pushed on without a bother :)

The area around me would reg get snow and ice, even when the lowlands get none, and most of the roads I would travel on would also have reg problems with flooding. Only in Ireland can you get flooding on highish roads, well done council :mad:

So my hilux is gona get a full set of new shoes to help cope with the above. I was thinking winter tyres, but ones which could equaly handle the wet. I do little off road, but a fair bit of side road driving.

Ive come up with these and was just looking for some advice/ideas if these would be good or if anyone would have any better ideas. I have a mate who will fit them for me no prob, for just a few quid, so I was thinking of putting them on each year for the 3/4 mts needed.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m67b0s1524p49347

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m67b0s1524p63037

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m67b0s1524p6009

MANY thanks in advance for any thoughts ;)

Keving

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m64b702s493p52203

IMO these are the only tyres to fit to a 4x4 which sees a variety of conditions like you describe. I switched to them last year and now won't fit anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm no tyre expert but I recently changed the tyres on my Mk3 Hilux to All terrain tyres which seem to get excellent grip on snow.
    I go off road a lot all year round so they are the business.
    http://www.tyres-uk.net/BFG%20mud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

i have bf Goodrich all-ts for last 3 years,best grip in poor weather so far,second choice would be good-year wrangler or generals

i have bf Goodrich all-ts for last 3 years,best grip in poor weather so far,second choice would be good-year wrangler or generals
    http://eiretyres.com/ good place for tyres too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Another vote for BFG ATs, you get phenomenal mileage out of BFGs whether ATs or MTs.

General Grabber ATs or Cooper Discoverer STTs are also well thought of but the BFGs are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Another vote for BFG ATs, really great tyre never let me down off-road or in the snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Just a question about the BFg AT's, you see some of them that look really chunky, like the rim is tiny and the tyre makes up most of the wheel. Do you need to get rims to fit the tyre, or do they do different profiles to suit different rims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm gonna buck the trend here, And say go for the wintrac.

If you want a snow tyre get a snow tyre, you say you do little off road so why buy an all terrain?

Or you might also consider the vredestein qutrac, it's a very wintry all season tyre. have them on the wifes 320d and it's unreal what they can cope with.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m64b0s272p59065

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

newmug wrote: »
    Just a question about the BFg AT's, you see some of them that look really chunky, like the rim is tiny and the tyre makes up most of the wheel. Do you need to get rims to fit the tyre, or do they do different profiles to suit different rims?

yeah they do a full range of sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Another vote for BFG ATs.......... 3+ years on my hilux and they have never let me down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have the BFG AT's on my 90 LC for the last 2 years and there is still plenty of miles left in them.
    I towed an Avensis up an Icy hill last year with them, no problems at all.
    They give great traction in snow as well. They have very strong sidewalls which helps with longevity but can make the ride a little harder than the more street orientated tyres.

bfg's at are 50/50 which means 50% offroad and 50% on road,you can also get bfg's with 25% offroad and 75% onroad,yes there is more chunky gfg's which are 100% offroad
    these variations are with all brands
    good place too check how each tyre is http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/bf_goodrich/all_terrain_ta_ko/index.html
    good place too check how a tyre brakes in dry and wet,milage and snow plus people who used the tyre will give there reactions too the tyre

the link points too the bfg's AT i use which is bfg
    the only thing i will say that bfg@s are hard too get from supplyers thsi year due too demand which says how good a tyre it is ,cost me last year 150 per tyre ,coopers and good year wrangler hp all and general are also good
    im also told gt radial snowara are good but i cant say as i never used on my 4x4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

MANY thanks guys :D

Looks like the bf Goodrich all-ts is the way to go. Just need to see if I can strech to them first. Might be a bit too much price wise as they are only for a few mths a year, current tyres are in good condition for (rd tyres).

Would def be the choice if the current rubber was shot. will see what I can get them for first. Anyone know where best price can be got ?

Thanks again

Keving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

keving wrote: »

Looks like the bf Goodrich all-ts is the way to go. Just need to see if I can strech to them first. Might be a bit too much price wise as they are only for a few mths a year, current tyres are in good condition for (rd tyres).

Would def be the choice if the current rubber was shot. will see what I can get them for first. Anyone know where best price can be got ?

Thanks again

Keving

The BFG's work out cheaper in the long run because you end up changing them far less frequently. I would be lucky to get 20K miles from a set of Dunlop tarmac tyres, but the BFG's last away longer. I would generally do 20 to 25K per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yet another vote for the 50/50 BFG AT K.O.'s you just can't go wrong with them in any weather and they last for fecking AGES compared to anything else you'll find and will most definitely save you money over the course of their life.

i'm on my second set now for my 96 Pajero LWB and when I was in the tyre place getting them, i was talking to the woman behind the counter about how great my last set had been compared to the tyres a mate of mine has on his Jeep.

she told me one of the lads had given her another type of tyre when her last set of BFG's needed changing and told her they were a "just as good but cheaper" mid-range tyre.

she said she drove them home that night and when she came back in the next morning she made him change them back for new BFG's again because the traction was terrible by comparison even on just a slightly damp road and she nearly spun out going round a roundabout. she went on to say that she'd never put anything else on her jeep again after that, so it was a pretty good endorsement from someone in a tyre fitting place. :)

seriously though, i can't fault mine at all and i've been known to do a bit of off-roading and have driven all over on soft sandy beaches and across freshly ploughed fields through every sort of muck and mud and all sorts (don't recommend the field tho, nearly had my little brain fall out of my head with the shaking!) and even in all the snow and ice and the pajero hasn't missed a beat aside from some slipping on the real 'polished glass' black ice that nothing gets grip on and for the most part its not been any different than driving in the rain.

i'm a firm believer in testing your vehicles traction limits in a safe environment (anywhere traffic free where you can't slide into anything dangerous) any time driving conditions change and i've been testing my stopping power on every surface that looks even slightly dodgy in this icy/snowy weather and have consistently been amazed by the power of the BFG's to bring my 2 tonne beast to a stop in record time. :)

i was just off-road this evening on mud with a foot of snow on top of it and it's great, you'd hardly even notice it was there. :)

for 3 years in a row i got 24 k miles out of mine,i have had 50/50 all terain bf's and considering after i see how a friend get on with his new bf's which are 75/25

Thanks again

Keving

I have 5 second hand Goodrich A/T tyres, most with loads of thread. I got bigger wheels and these are surplus to requirement. If you are interested PM me. I will get photos. I'm in Limerick area.

Well, could I buy from a guy called builderfromhell :P Yes I could :D

Only prob is your about 24 hrs too late.

So this is what I've done, please dont slate me too much :o

Couldnt get the Goodrich A/T tyres any time soon and were too steep for me at the mo. Seeing as the current road tyres are very good (will last a good while) and my funds are low, I've gone for these

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m67b0s1524p63037

Logic being

1- at that price, I'll be happy if they last as long as the rd tyres, then Ill get the Goodrich for year round use.

2- The guys at Camskill, who seem to have a good rep, say they are very good. (I did ask if he was only saying that because thats all they had in stock :rolleyes:)

3- I can get the cash together in the mean time for the goodrich (if Mr Cowen doesnt take it from me first!)

4-Should have them tomor and snow/ice here will last at least another week or two. With a good poss of another cold front towards the end of next week (so they say).

What you guys think Am I mad :confused:

Sorry builderfromhell, a bit sooner and I would have taken your hand off

Lastly, thank you all for your comments and time in posting, very good info !

Kevin

They look pretty good to me and price isn't too bad.
    You've laready bought them so I wouldn't keep thinking about it.
    I prefer All terrain as I drive off road for work a lot.

Limerick tyre shops are selling loads of ATs at the moment and people I talk to are getting them now as weather doesn't seem to be letting up. The logic being that it's cheaper to buy them now than buy them afetr you've skidded and had a minor crash that costs much more than new tyres.

What you guys think Am I mad :confused:
    not at all, they look decent enough for a winter road tyre.

i'd actually be interested to find out how they compare on-road to the BFG's in this weather, just to see what they are like. there's been a lot of talk about winter tyres here recently, but i'm not convinced i'd get better performance than i get from the BFG's after how well they've done so far for me in the snow.

don't suppose you're near navan are you? we could swap wheels for a couple of hours to do a comparative test. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would be interested in how they hold up, I always had a thing against remoulds but maybe thats just my conservatism showing through.:)
    Please give us a report after you have run them for a while, I am very curious.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would be interested in how they hold up, I always had a thing against remoulds but maybe thats just my conservatism showing through.:)
    Please give us a report after you have run them for a while, I am very curious.

Will do CJ

As I said for that price and the amount of use they are going to get, they are worth a shot.

Affraid I'm not near Navan Vibe, but will get back with an update. They were due here today, but weather cond have delayed things. Must say though, camskill seem to be a fairly good outfit.

Should get a good outing next week - Dangerous cold to reload next week for northern and western Europe. Post on accuweather.com

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

While I'm at it, what winter tyres would you put on a RR Sport :o

The low profile tyres on 'her indoors' wheels are fairly poor in the snow. Not going to change them, just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Were they the standard LR fitment? If they were I wouldn't bother, with Terrain Response in the right settings they should be fine. If they are semi slick low profile rubber bands, that's a different matter :rolleyes:

I'd look on ebay for a set of take off standard rims and tyres from another fashion victim who's pimping their ride with shiny cart wheels and rubber bands ;)

101sean wrote: »
    Were they the standard LR fitment? If they were I wouldn't bother, with Terrain Response in the right settings they should be fine. If they are semi slick low profile rubber bands, that's a different matter :rolleyes:

I'd look on ebay for a set of take off standard rims and tyres from another fashion victim who's pimping their ride with shiny cart wheels and rubber bands ;)

The latter I'm affraid, anyway I was just curious. The fecking thing has cost enough and can just sit there looking good in the snow for all I care.

I'll just sail by in the Hilux and smile while while I hear the words 'can I have a lift' :D:D

Should get a good outing next week - Dangerous cold to reload next week for northern and western Europe. Post on accuweather.com

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp
    yeah, i saw that. having trouble convincing people that its going to get bad again tho. for some reason they all think that winter is over now that the november snow is starting to melt???:confused:

Tyres arrived today. thought that was very fast, esp with the weather probs here and in the UK.

They look good, but will get the shoes on tomor and see how they go.
    Will give them a good run and revert back.

Many thanks again guys for the advice and comments.

G At's will be on my wheels some day me thinks, just not yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

they will be great tyres for the winter, but soon as it gets warm out (+10 deg C) dry tarmac will eat them up as winter tyres are a very soft compound and not designed for dry tarmac. I would suggest getting a spare set of wheels saves the hassle of removing and installing and balancing them 2 times a year

Advertisement