Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inserting a second switch

Options
  • 06-12-2010 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

I need to move a switch for a back garden light as I have moved the back door of the house. Instead of moving it I was thinking, as the garden light is above the back door now, can I go up to the wires that run into the light, snip one and run a wire down through the ceiling, along the wall and stick in a new switch, thus making a two switch circuit. I guess what I'm asking is, is it safe to safe to use connector blocks to run the new wire down to the switch or should it be wired back to the circuit breakers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the sole purpose of leaving the old switch to make a connection, or do you want to use it as a switch??

If you need 2 switches to both be able to turn on or turn off the light you'll need to implement two way switching.

If you need to make a connection you should use a junction box. If your getting rid of the old switch you might be able to use connector blocks and a blank single switch plate...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭spindizzy

Is the sole purpose of leaving the old switch to make a connection, or do you want to use it as a switch??

If you need 2 switches to both be able to turn on or turn off the light you'll need to implement two way switching.

If you need to make a connection you should use a junction box. If your getting rid of the old switch you might be able to use connector blocks and a blank single switch plate...

Yea, just leaving the old switch there for the connection, don't need 2 way switching.

Are connector blocks ok to use on mains wires?

What sort of backing box is on the old switch?

All a junction box is just a plastic box with connector blocks in it.

Not too sure about backing box, there is actually 2 switches in that box, one for the back light and another switch for another light, will probably just leave that switch alone and use a junction box where I cut wire to insert a new switch.

Yep swap the double switch for a single.

Take a permanent live from the single switch, to your new outdoor light switch. Then take the switched live back along the same path and go straight to the outdoor light (or join to existing wire going to light in back box).

• Advertisement

Yep swap the double switch for a single.

Take a permanent live from the single switch, to your new outdoor light switch. .

That would mean pulling up a lot of floor boards etc to get access to wires, the new switch is on the other side of the house,not that the house is massive or anything! thats why I want to just run a new switch down from the wires that run into the light as they are right above where I want the new switch to be....

spindizzy wrote: »
    That would mean pulling up a lot of floor boards etc to get access to wires, the new switch is on the other side of the house,not that the house is massive or anything! thats why I want to just run a new switch down from the wires that run into the light as they are right above where I want the new switch to be....

Sorry didn't understand. Well that should be even easier.

Replace double swith with a single and the wire going to the outside light gets connected to a perminant live in the switch terminal. Then at your new switch location break the live being fed to the outside switch with your new switch.

yea, thats the plan alright, just making sure it was ok to break the main at the new light switch location and use convector block to add in extra wire to run wire down the wall. Will use a junction box

Going by what your describing the new switch location is very close to the outside light, is this correct?

When why not pull back the live from the light and attach to the new switch and use a new piece of 1.5mm2 cable from the new switch to the light, no junction box required then...

yea, originally didn't think that'd work but if i move the switch to a different wall it will, nice one, simplier again

• Advertisement

Job done and all working ok, thanks for advice. Took double switch off and swapped for a single, brought live back from the light and ran it down to where another switch in the room was a put a double switch there.

All sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Did you not need a live at the original switch for the other light?

didnt take live from original switch, just swapped double for single. Brought the live back from the ligt it self and then used a new wire to run the live from neww switch back to light.

Advertisement