Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Begging used to be outlawed but in a recent enough case the law banning begging was found to be unconstitutional. So begging became legal with no constraints on how someone could beg. Earlier this year Dermot Ahern introduced the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Bill which aims to deal with the problem of begging. It makes it an offence to beg within ten feet of a ATM, business premises or a private house. A guard can now move on a beggar who is found to be intimidating and obstructing people. I think the above two are two different offences under the Bill. The maximum punishment is a €400 fine and/or a month in prison.

This Bill will most likely be passed because it has cross party support apart from Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

maxxie wrote: »
    There is a house near me full of roma people! They drives two cars, one of which is a 3 ltr merc.. I see the female members of the house begging locally a good few times!
    Only a couple of weeks ago romas broke into a neighbours house who is only 3 doors down from them!

I know there is good and bad in all walks of life but they take the biscuit!
    Its better they are begging than taking the social welfare like some of the irish do. Whatever the number of cars they have is none of your business. Were you there to see that the Roma broke into your neighbours house. Stop judging people and mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Its better they are begging than taking the social welfare like some of the irish do.

The problem is that they're doing both. Best of all would be if they got proper jobs and paid taxes like everyone else.

Stop judging people and mind your own business.

It's hard to mind your own business when you're being harassed on the streets by them. Smoking areas at the front of pubs & clubs are the worst. A constant procession of them come by all night long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If someone wants to sit in the rain and ice for hours at a time making less than the minimum wage, getting no holidays or sick pay or anything, that's totally up to them. It doesn't affect me in the slightest, I feel no guilt whatsoever walking past them and not giving them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Begging used to be outlawed but in a recent enough case the law banning begging was found to be unconstitutional. So begging became legal with no constraints on how someone could beg. Earlier this year Dermot Ahern introduced the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Bill which aims to deal with the problem of begging. It makes it an offence to beg within ten feet of a ATM, business premises or a private house. A guard can now move on a beggar who is found to be intimidating and obstructing people. I think the above two are two different offences under the Bill. The maximum punishment is a €400 fine and/or a month in prison.

This Bill will most likely be passed because it has cross party support apart from Sinn Féin.

Thanks for posting this.

However it looks like this is really bad law if the ten feet thing is true as it would leave a lot of public space in Dublin that wouldn't be covered by the law - would still be legal to beg in a number of places as long as you werent actually intimidating or obstructing people - O'Connell St and Bridge, Ha'penny Bridge, Millennium Bridge, St Stephens Green. Sure there are a lot of other places as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this.

However it looks like this is really bad law if the ten feet thing is true as it would leave a lot of public space in Dublin that wouldn't be covered by the law - would still be legal to beg in a number of places as long as you werent actually intimidating or obstructing people - O'Connell St and Bridge, Ha'penny Bridge, Millennium Bridge, St Stephens Green. Sure there are a lot of other places as well.

Yeah I thought they should have included a Gordon around areas of cultural importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    However it looks like this is really bad law if the ten feet thing is true as it would leave a lot of public space in Dublin that wouldn't be covered by the law

Meh, so long as they can't beg at ATMs, that's enough to keep me happy. I find it can be incredibly intimidating sometimes. At night time, for example, when there aren't many people around, especially being a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Its better they are begging than taking the social welfare like some of the irish do. Whatever the number of cars they have is none of your business. Were you there to see that the Roma broke into your neighbours house. Stop judging people and mind your own business.

they get social welfare as well. they live in houses like everyone else and go to 'work at the same time as everyone else.
    these people can make 100 euros a day, which is not bad.

roma are a scourge to all of Europe. at least the irish travellers have made some kind of contribution to irish culture, but these roma have no interest in making a contribution. it is little wonder that most people apart from the blinkered pc brigade, have little time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

That's crazy. I work on St. Stephen's Green SC and sometimes when I try to go out for let's say walk, to not to promote smoking here, it's rather impossible to not get poked by few beggers ''change please, please''. Once I've lost my temper. I said - ''I CAN work, you CAN work. I COULD change my fckn CV just to get work I wanted and tried my best for a fckn half of a year to ensure them my experience is not a fckn fake so YOU DO CAN!''
    reply? ''oh, god... what kinda people are now here, oh god... god!''
    wtf?
    my duplicated question is - why Gardai does NOTHING with these fckrs?
    They rebuke street buskers as they disturb the night silence on Temple Bar, on Saturday and residents can't sleep but they won't do anything with these pieces of siht that lie on the floor underneath the ATM you try to withdraw your money which you ARE WORKING FOR!
    Oh god. Jumpin blood pressure. Wrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Fuinseog wrote: »
    roma are a scourge to all of Europe. at least the irish travellers have made some kind of contribution to irish culture, but these roma have no interest in making a contribution. it is little wonder that most people apart from the blinkered pc brigade, have little time for them.

Ever heard of Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Yul Brynner or many more. So much about no contribution to cultur. Try again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

evilberry wrote: »
    That's crazy. I work on St. Stephen's Green SC and sometimes when I try to go out for let's say walk, to not to promote smoking here, it's rather impossible to not get poked by few beggers ''change please, please''. Once I've lost my temper. I said - ''I CAN work, you CAN work. I COULD change my fckn CV just to get work I wanted and tried my best for a fckn half of a year to ensure them my experience is not a fckn fake so YOU DO CAN!''
    reply? ''oh, god... what kinda people are now here, oh god... god!''
    wtf?
    my duplicated question is - why Gardai does NOTHING with these fckrs?
    They rebuke street buskers as they disturb the night silence on Temple Bar, on Saturday and residents can't sleep but they won't do anything with these pieces of siht that lie on the floor underneath the ATM you try to withdraw your money which you ARE WORKING FOR!
    Oh god. Jumpin blood pressure. Wrr!

Tone it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mdebets wrote: »
    Ever heard of Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Yul Brynner or many more. So much about no contribution to cultur. Try again

so these people were original gypsies or just had roles, albeit hollywood ones as gypsies?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    so these people were original gypsies or just had roles, albeit hollywood ones as gypsies?

Well, I know the most recent romani blood in caine goes back to the 17th century. Makes about as much sense to mention him in a conversation about modern roma as it would to claim to be a hugoneot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

tbh wrote: »
    If someone wants to sit in the rain and ice for hours at a time making less than the minimum wage, getting no holidays or sick pay or anything, that's totally up to them.

I remember seeing a programme where they sent two people out for four hours - one to beg, and the other to busk. Both made well over the minimum wage, and guess which actually had more money by the end of the time?

It wasn't the busker. I used to busk in my young days as a student and a couple or three hours brought in enough to keep me going for the week, which was all I wanted. So I didn't go out when the weather was bad (and anyway you get less in bad weather).

I don't mind giving to buskers, but never give to beggers. If you don't like having beggers around, do not give to them. They can get social welfare and are often offered emergency housing. In fact, what put me right off beggers was listening to two of them (both Irish) at Stephen's Green Luas, saying, yeah, they got me a B&B but I didn't go to it in the end cos I went drinking with somebody.

So you see a begged with a four year old child. The kid isn't going to school and isnt learning a 'normal' way of life. Is that child a Roma scumbag, or a victim of it's upbringing?
    Same question, same child, five years old

Eight years old.

15 years old.
    I'm really just wondering, at what point do you people think that child should overthrow everything it's ever learnt, get itself enough education to be able to compete with you fine people in the job Market and turn it's back on everything its ever known?

5?

8?
    15?

I mean, I'm sure you all would have turned out perfectly, with or without your parents help. Look at how Christian ye all are, for example. But don't mind me, i'm just a pc do-gooder who doesn't understand the real world. I'm sure calling them sumbags etc is probably the best thing for them. Tough love and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Tone it down.

Maybe provide a translation too?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

But don't mind me, i'm just a pc do-gooder who doesn't understand the real world.

At last you admit it!

So you see a begged with a four year old child. The kid isn't going to school and isnt learning a 'normal' way of life. Is that child a Roma scumbag, or a victim of it's upbringing?
    Same question, same child, five years old

Eight years old.

15 years old.
    I'm really just wondering, at what point do you people think that child should overthrow everything it's ever learnt, get itself enough education to be able to compete with you fine people in the job Market and turn it's back on everything its ever known?

5?

8?
    15?

I mean, I'm sure you all would have turned out perfectly, with or without your parents help. Look at how Christian ye all are, for example. But don't mind me, i'm just a pc do-gooder who doesn't understand the real world. I'm sure calling them sumbags etc is probably the best thing for them. Tough love and all that.

Best arguement for forced rehoming of children and sterilization of the adults I've heard in a long time.

Nevore wrote: »
    Best arguement for forced rehoming of children and sterilization of the adults I've heard in a long time.

You're not the first to see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Had a friend over from London for the weekend and took her into town on Saturday. She's been here a few times but I was almost ashamed at the amount of beggers on the streets these days. It seems about 90% of them are Roma too, so you can't really blame the economic downturn forcing unemployed people onto the streets. There are a few Roma operating that don't wear shoes while they're begging, or socks, even during this weather, and try to give the impression that they've hit rock bottom poverty. Either way it just looks nasty.
    About every 30 meters or so around Dawson/St Stephen's green, Grafton St, the area around Wicklow st, we encountered beggers (again mostly Roma).
    Is there no way we can clean this up? I know some people are destitute but it's no way to have our capital city really is it? Can the Garda not move them on? I know that's a short term solution but it looks REALLY bad. I've been all over the world and for a so called developed country, I really can't remember seeing as many beggers anywhere.
    deport them,simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I was at a funeral in town last week. Outside the church on the pavement was a 30-year old Roma man sitting with a cup begging as the mourners came out of the church.The pavement was like a sheet of glass, completely iced over, and people were actually falling over the beggar but he refused to move. When all the mourners dispersed to the graveyard, only then did he get up and walk off to a more lucrative begging site. Something has to be done about this organised begging. I can understand someone down on their luck but not someone using it as a business like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Same question, same child, five years old. Eight years old. 15 years old.

There used to be a problem of Irish traveller women and children begging. What got them off the streets wasn't arresting them, but a concerted effort on the part of various agencies working in tandem: the gardai got them off the street, Barnardos and ISPCC doing huge educational work with the adults, and provision for schooling etc.

A complex social problem requires a complex answer - not a simple tabloid rant of 'get them off our streets!'

You're not the first to see it that way.

Yeah, pretty sure a certain Mr. Eichman had a similar line of reasoning.

Nevore wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty sure a certain Mr. Eichman had a similar line of reasoning.

Your mate Joe Stalin was lovely chap though.

Degsy wrote: »
    Your mate Joe Stalin was lovely chap though.

Well, a little more inclusive, certainly. No discrimination in the gulags!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mike Strutter

I got asked by a dirty filthy begger did i have any spare change

I said no - i only carry hundreds

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Seasons greetings to you too.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Seasons greetings to you too.

Bah Humbug:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

i love most races, religions etc. etc. i truly dont mind any them, but i ****ing hate romas, it all started when i almost got mugged by a gang of them, but there always begging, they dont even try to get a job

they need to be deported, need to be,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

i love most races, religions etc. etc. i truly dont mind any them, but i ****ing hate romas, it all started when i almost got mugged by a gang of them, but there always begging, they dont even try to get a job

they need to be deported, need to be,

The Roma run this begging scam as a far-reaching business, they are all over our streets....simply deport them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement