Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

barrackali wrote: »
    The Roma run this begging scam as a far-reaching business, they are all over our streets....simply deport them.

you cannot deport them. they are Eu citizens. no one else wants them around either, apart from left wing phoney liberals. this country also has very liberal laws regarding begging. its also a crime if they beg with menace.

tbh wrote: »
    So you see a begged with a four year old child. The kid isn't going to school and isnt learning a 'normal' way of life. Is that child a Roma scumbag, or a victim of it's upbringing?
    Same question, same child, five years old

Eight years old.

15 years old.
    I'm really just wondering, at what point do you people think that child should overthrow everything it's ever learnt, get itself enough education to be able to compete with you fine people in the job Market and turn it's back on everything its ever known?

5?

8?
    15?

I mean, I'm sure you all would have turned out perfectly, with or without your parents help. Look at how Christian ye all are, for example. But don't mind me, i'm just a pc do-gooder who doesn't understand the real world. I'm sure calling them sumbags etc is probably the best thing for them. Tough love and all that.

education has as much value to these people as it does to inner city Dublin kids, in other words precious little.
    they learn what they need from the streets and parents and have no desire to break away from any of this.

you can be Christian and you can be practical. they usually get chased out of churches because they only go in to beg or fleece the place.

tbh wrote: »
    You're not the first to see it that way.

yeah, the Australians did this with the abos until the 1970s, but you are probably thinking about the big ad nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you cannot deport them. they are Eu citizens. no one else wants them around either, apart from left wing phoney liberals. this country also has very liberal laws regarding begging. its also a crime if they beg with menace.

There is no law against begging at the moment & the new one hasn't come in yet:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Do they have a right to live in other EU states?

Yes, but there are two exceptions.

Firstly, the host country can deport them to their country of origin after 90 days if they do not have a job, sickness insurance or the means to support themselves (and if they have no family member in the host country capable of supporting them). This is to prevent people becoming a burden on the host country's social safety net.

Secondly, they can be deported if they present a threat to public order, public security or public health.

They must, however, have an opportunity to appeal, and must be given a month to leave, except in emergencies.
    they can be deported

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I'm getting tired of all the beggers in dublin city centre now. Today I politley said "sorry" to one scumbag asking for money and he just started cursing down the street at me.

On the way back he spotted me again walking on the other side of the road and again is was more abuse from him. Of course he was all smiles and nice to the charity worker who came around to give him some food.

Later, I was targeted for more change by a grown up fella who spotted me walkin towards him. In fairness he was nice enough but is it not possible to just walk around the city any more without being hassled all the time.

I would say it is easy enough to pull in 10 euro per hour at that begging game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

education has as much value to these people as it does to inner city Dublin kids, in other words precious little.

WTF?!!! That is a completely ridiculous generalisation. Good God!

cosmic wrote: »
    WTF?!!! That is a completely ridiculous generalisation. Good God!

would you care to elaborate. I am going by what i see on a daily basis and not making any judgement from some ivory tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

would you care to elaborate.

No I would not. If you can't see how utterly ridiculous and offensive a generalisation that is then I have no interest in commenting further.

Leaving thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The man and woman (both native Dubs by their accents) who beg at the Luas change machine at Stephens Green piss me off no end. Your man actually demands to know where people are going and types in the destination on the machine and asks for 2 euro for his 'service'. Now I told him to go fcuk himself but he did the same to two eldery ladies and two groups of tourist families with young children who all looked scared of him. I wrote a letter to Veolia saying I'd like to be able to purchase a ticket withotu being harrassed but got no reply...Anyway, keep an eye out for these two 'beggars' who are there every single day without fail in their expensive tracksuits and runners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This thread is begging to be locked..

And btw, its 'Beggar' and not 'Begger'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement