Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home conversion - What category

• 06-12-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Can anyone clarify which motor tax or vrt category would a commercially taxed van fitted out with windows, fridge, bed etc. fall into, if it didnt meet the definition of camper (maybe insufficient internal height or maybe no sink fitted) ?
    Could the van be taxed private (ie as a car)? I am told that all vans must now be taxed privately if the owner is not registered for vat or a farmer.

How would such a vehicle be assessed for VRT purposes ??

What "change of use" issues would be involved for VRT declaration ?

thanks,

Unfit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It'd be commercial tax. that whole thing was just scaremongering by the government due to the number of jeeps being imported and taxed commercially.

I'm a sole trader, not registered for VAT and not a farmer and I have a commercially taxed van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Ok.

So with regard to motortax, are we saying that a commercial van with windows and /or seats fitted can be taxed commercially ?

Any idea as to how the vehicle would be assessed for VRT ??

I have just read another thread on Boards which would indicate that some motortax offices around the country are now refusing to tax a van commercially unless the owner is able to prove that the vehicle is used for commercial purposes.

That would appear to answer part of my question as to how the van should be taxed if partially converted for social/domestic/personal use.

Ok. Does anyone know how would revenue view such a part-conversion for VRT purposes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

Your van would be classed as a "Crewcab". This is the same commercial tax as a van although if you want to get it cleared by the VRT the van will have to meet Crewcab standards which are very strict. I have also heard of Tax offices looking for proof of trade. A bit of searching online will find the crewcab requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

It won't be a crew cab unless you divide the rear of the van with a bulkhead to create a 'cargo' area as in 'motorsport vans'.

From VRT manual:
    ''crew cab"' means a vehicle that comprises a cab, with seating for a driver and a minimum of three and a maximum of 6 other persons, and an area to the rear of the cab that is designed, constructed or adapted exclusively for the carriage of goods and which area-
    (i) is completely and permanently separated from the cab by a rigid partition
    that is fixed in such manner as may be prescribed by the Commissioners, and
    (ii) has a floor length that is not less than 45 per cent of the wheelbase when
    measured in such manner as may be prescribed by the Commissioners.

Also typically the 'cargo' area must have no windows in the side or windows must be permanently covered with metal there must be no seats, seat fittings or seat belts in the cargo area.

If you are looking for a grey area chance your arm solution then some people have managed to tax the vehicle as a 'mobile workshop' there must be permanantely fixed equipment of some kind and I wouldn't want to be found carrying anyone other than employees in it though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those suggestions lads.

I was thinking of something like a day-van type conversion on a mid-size van that would not meet the full "campervan" definition as laid down by the Dept for VRT purposes.
    I would have thought that such a conversion would not be that unusual.
    I wouldnt mind taxing it private but would be concerned as to what rate of VRT would be applied and how it would be valued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for those suggestions lads.

I was thinking of something like a day-van type conversion on a mid-size van that would not meet the full "campervan" definition as laid down by the Dept for VRT purposes.
    I would have thought that such a conversion would not be that unusual.
    I wouldnt mind taxing it private but would be concerned as to what rate of VRT would be applied and how it would be valued.

If it doesn't fulfill the requirements for a camper you will be converting a category c vehicle to a category a vehicle. You will have to pay the category a rates, then you'll have to pay the private tax.

Your cheapest solution if you don't want to have a compliant camper would probably be an old caravelle or similar if you can find one thats not been a taxi.

PaddyP,

thanks for that. I was thinking it might go that way.

Lets say I part converted a Renault traffic 1.9 Diesel and declared it for VRT, how do you think that would be assessed for Class A.

1. How would they assess the OMSP ??
    2. Would the rate of VRT then be determined by the CO2 emissions figure of 224 which would be a charge of 32% of the OMSP.

If so, then a full conversion and the 13% VRT rate for the camper is the route to go if at all possible .

What do you think ?

Advertisement