Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course change

Options
  • 06-12-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi guys! Im in second year and i want to change my course, I was wondering does anyone know exactly how much this would cost and what would happen to my grant? I feel like im wasting my time at the course im in now but I dont have the money to change :/ any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

tazbars wrote: »
    Hi guys! Im in second year and i want to change my course, I was wondering does anyone know exactly how much this would cost and what would happen to my grant? I feel like im wasting my time at the course im in now but I dont have the money to change :/ any advise?

The grant works on the same principle as the fees. Your entitled to four years free tuition fees and fours years of grants. So my understanding is if you have dropped out and started again in first year, you would pay tuition fees for two years and wouldn't get a grant until you passed second year. Obviously if there was a course that you could transfer into the second year of it now that would be ideal but theres probably no option like that.

I would suggest you post this question in the education officer thread to get a more concise answer which is located here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd need details on the course you want to do as well as detials of how much of your grant has been paid so far to figure out how it would affect you.

The average effect if you are on a full grant would probably be about €20,000-€25,000 that you would have to raise yourself without any way of assistance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

I looked into this further and with fee's etc it is just impossible. Is there anway I could take on an extra module so I could do secondary school teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

tazbars wrote: »
    I looked into this further and with fee's etc it is just impossible. Is there anway I could take on an extra module so I could do secondary school teaching?

Small mistake in my first response, the grants side of things was a question for Ninty9er who's the SU Welfare Officer as you already know by now.

But your latest question is definately a query for Aoife, The Education Officer, who's thread is located here.

Advertisement