Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers & wife in labor

• 06-12-2010 9:37pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has came up a bit over the years I think it would be interesting to see what the users here would do.So you are a professional footballer and your partner is in labour what do you do...?

I will add a poll.

So do you play...? 45 votes

Yes
    0%
    Depends on the game
    44%
    Chucky the treemachiavellianmeGuy:IncognitoapplehunterMr. Presentablemicksziedthyabadabado5starpoolReganio 2Ordinary manmurpho999stakereagle eyePierce_1991NinjaTruncsMinstrel27niallo27BurkatronNuigforce 20 votes
    No
    55%
    PHBKoldDub13eZe^jebidiahthe_one_&_onlySK1979DrumStevebaldbearDeeper Bluecivis_liberalisDegagGavRedKingUpTheSlashersucd.19853hn2givr7mx1scFerris_BuellerBOHtoxalwaysadubv3ttel 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Family always comes first.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Be with the wife, there might not be another kid but there'll always be another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

No, of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What if it is the WC final or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Depends on the game
    If Alan Pardew was the manager I'd not bother turning up to the birth. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Wasn't John Barnes doing analysis on Sky recently, while his wife gave birth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Depends on the game
    Sorry, might be in the minority here but I really think they should play.

Footballer's job is different to normal jobs.

If us mere mortals miss a day's work then we can usually catch up later, and missing a one day won't have a major impact.

However football is different, a top player , like Torres, Rooney etc missing in a key match can actially lead to a team losing a game which can have a major impact on the season, points lost could mean loss of League title, Champions League spot or relegation at the other end.

They get plenty of time off before and after matches and labour can last for hours....so I think they should play.

Heard on Newstalk that Roy Keane said he was in a bar in Florida (USA '94) when his first daughter was born and she never held it against him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As Shankly said; football is not a matter of wife* and death...

It's much more important than that!

*poetic licence used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on the game
    Meh, 2nd child. The novelty is well worn off. I'd be playing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Family first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

If I was answering 5 years ago I'd say PLAY but 2 kids later and its a definite NO!

Although in my case I'd have nearly missed 2 games one time but would have easily been able to tog out for the 2nd half the other (42 hours and 10 minutes!!!..... LOL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on the game
    If I'm perfectly honest I doubt I'd miss a game at the level of rubgy I play now, nevermind if I was a premiership player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Family first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Nah i dont think you should ever play the match,she could hold it against you forever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Unless its a world cup final or a season defining game then I have to think about it but 99% of the time, family first

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No
    All the lads saying family first,have you ever been present at a labor...?I have 4 kids and its over rated plus you feel like a knob head they are not places for men IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Any footballer should be with his wife/partner if they are giving birth, at the end of the day if men in every other job can do it why should a football player be any different?

family first, work 2nd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Depends on the game
    Of course. It's not like she's sick. Most natural thing in the world. A load of fuss and nonsense over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry, might be in the minority here but I really think they should play.

Footballer's job is different to normal jobs.

If us mere mortals miss a day's work then we can usually catch up later, and missing a one day won't have a major impact.

However football is different, a top player , like Torres, Rooney etc missing in a key match can actially lead to a team losing a game which can have a major impact on the season, points lost could mean loss of League title, Champions League spot or relegation at the other end.

They get plenty of time off before and after matches and labour can last for hours....so I think they should play.

Heard on Newstalk that Roy Keane said he was in a bar in Florida (USA '94) when his first daughter was born and she never held it against him! :D

There's plenty of people miss the births of their kids because they're away with work and it cant be helped. Footballers however can help it and should be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Depends on the game
    I'd be pretty annoyed if a key player of ours didn't play because the wife is having a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I voted no but I could understand them missing it for a WC final or CL final. Nothing else.

In Gerrards book he was talking about the birth of one of his kids, was something along the lines of ''Yea I was there, but I stayed well clear of the Kop end''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Labour btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

One game, unless it's the WC final, is not the end of the world.

If I got knocked up tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to play for 9 months! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

No i wouldn't play, unless it was a huge game i wouldn't play. I'm fairly rubbish though so i wouldn't think many people would mind me missing one game :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Champions League or World Cup final would be the only time I think you couldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Depends on the game
    Gillington wrote: »
    Nah i dont think you should ever play the match,she could hold it against you forever!

I'm sure all that lovely money you'd be making that would be keeping her in her lavish wag lifestyle would soften the blow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tommyhaas wrote: »
    In Gerrards book he was talking about the birth of one of his kids, was something along the lines of ''Yea I was there, but I stayed well clear of the Kop end''

He calls it the Kop end? I wonder does it boo and whistle him out of the bed when his performance isn't up to scratch?:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    He calls it the Kop end? I wonder does it boo and whistle him out of the bed when his performance isn't up to scratch?:pac:

I dunno, but there's rumors that he's not the only one who's been scoring down the kop end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its any mans right to be at the birth of their own child, whether they want to or not is really not the issue. If torres wanted to be at his childs birth tonight fair play to him. As regards the team, its even more important that a manager realises this persons right to be at the birth and not do a 'benitez' on it, like he did with alonso. Be an adult about the situation and not a stubborn mule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Depends if the missus is having your kid or not.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This is probably the most amount of votes Labour will get for the foreseeable future tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Family first. Although I like to think a spouse would understand if it was WC or CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No
    Being female, i wouldn't expect him to miss a big match to be beside me.
    If he wanted to be and was sure about it then fine, but if it was he wasn't sure and it was something he'd regret when he retired, i'd prefere he played.
    Once he came back to me as soon as possible after the match though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

No
    It may be a terrible thing to say (not sure since i don't have kids) but if it was my first child, i wouldn't miss the birth even if the World Cup Final was on. 3rd or 4th, i'm not too sure - Yes, i actually think that is a terrible thing to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Family always comes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I think the player should be allowed to make a choice whether he plays the match or goes to the birth of his child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

As a mum of 4 myself I'd have crucified my husband if he had missed our 1st childs birth regardless of whether he had been playing in the World Cup Final or not...................

With regards to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th births I'd have payed him money to stay away even if he had been playing just a Sunday League game down the local park.

I think it depends on the actual birth itself. After my 1st I realised that all he could do was hold my hand which tbf was nice it didn't really make it any easier but I will say that the birth of our firstborn had emotional moments which still give me goosebumps thinking of it today. You can't get that experience again IMO and it really shouldn't be missed....

So I would've picked *It depends on the birth!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Depends on the game
    flahavaj wrote: »

Well the song does says that Steve Gerrard is big and he's fu*kin hard...

Probably propaganda though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

World Cup final- I'd play

Cold wet Sunday morning in Burnley with the pitch 70% mud, 30% grass- I'd pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I dunno, but there's rumors that he's not the only one who's been scoring down the kop end

Maybe he should call it the away end then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I was footballer, there is no way I would have missed the birth of my kids to play a game unless it was something like a major final or a relegation/title decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

No
    Childbirth is gross, who wants to see that crap? :pac:

Advertisement