Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building A PC

Options
  • 06-12-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to build my own PC in the new year, but I've never done anything like this before. I did IT in college, so I have a fair idea of the components (I've added hard-drives and RAM to my current PC before) but I'm looking for advice on how to go about this.

I have an Xbox and I have a HDTV, so I'm just looking to make a PC that is fast and with a big hard-drive. I won't be using it for games, but I will be using it for film-making using Adobe Premiere Pro. I don't know if this means I'll need graphics cards?

Basically I'm looking for the following and I'm hoping for advice (both on what I'll need and where I could find it?)
    • 3.60 Ghz Intel Core i5
      8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
      2TB Serial ATA Hard-drive
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      Video Graphics Card (???)
      Blu-Ray RW & 24X DVD +/- RW Optical Drive
      Sound Card???
      Media Card Reader

It might be a bit excessive??? Would I really save that much money by making it myself? I have a setup now where I connect my current PC to my TV with the RGB monitor connector lead. I'd love for a HDMI connection between the new PC and TV - is this possible?

Cheers in advance for any help or advice!! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

They make a 3.6GHz i5?!!! :eek:

Don't even look at the dual-core Core-i CPUs, quadcore is where its at. Or hexacore for high-end AMD rigs... ;) Generally for high-end applications work the more CPU cores you have, the better. While a quad i7 would be the best of the lot for Premier you'd start to run into memory and/or HDD bottlenecks unless you spent a silly amount on SSDs and/or RAID arrays etc. Premier CS5 is an utter bandwidth monster :o

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

What about something like this as a starter?

Overpriced IMHO. Although the OC is nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I don't think it's overpriced, the overclocked bundle cost's around £45 more than doing it yourself and for that your getting a guarantee on the overclocked components.

€340 on HWVS compared to €475 for the OCUK OCd version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Peebro

I personally think all those pre-Overclocked devices are a no no, Unless you really are new to it I'd recommend the stock for the better price and gives you the choice in the future should you need to OC. Buy a simple mechanism for your processor like a Hypercooler 212 evo. Well worth your time. 30 euro and with it you can overclock your processor a **** tonne.

Advertisement