Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

freelance rates

• 06-12-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi,
    Doing my first bit of freelance work for a photo agency next week. Just some social events and pr work. Does anyone know what are the going rates and how they are calculated? By the hour, per pic etc..?

Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Suggested UK freelance rates are available for inspection here, haven't ever seen anything similar in Ireland. Other than that, as much as you can negotiate. Don't forget that you retain copyright unless you specifically give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 damiendar

Didnt you ask the agency how much what terms?? maybe photography is the only job were brains go out the window.... wouldd you landscape a garden with knowing the pay.....

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭abulense

damiendar wrote: »
    Didnt you ask the agency how much what terms?? maybe photography is the only job were brains go out the window.... wouldd you landscape a garden with knowing the pay.....

I take your point completely damiendar. TBH I was just delighted to get offered a job! But we have yet to set the terms of payment so there is time to negotiate with the agency. That's why I'm on here looking for a bit of advice...
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

generally before you start a job you should negotiate the rate - I would guess that you would be put on a trial period of a week or two weeks.

are you going to be staff or freelance with the agency (can they call you when they need you ...or tell you that you are working X amount of days this week)

As regards money !!! - all depends on how much experience and how good you are to be fair - have you much experience in freelance photography ? I hate doing social pics - make sure you get full details of everyone you photo (or a reporter gets it...including correct spellings)

- getting the correct spelling is very important ..Bryan...or .. Brian and all that)
    - if its corporate/business people ... make sure you put business title/company into the caption
    - if its social/pub type stuff .... age, general address are important ....(ie. you dont need the street ...just an area, like Togher, or Blarney...or ringmahon etc etc

Be very careful with your captioning !!

Best of luck with it....I'm guessing this means you will more than likely be working the christmas shift....had that before ...on call christmas eve, christmas day...stephens day ...doesn't mean you will be working...but means you cant drink because you MAY be needed to work.

abulense wrote: »
    I take your point completely damiendar. TBH I was just delighted to get offered a job! But we have yet to set the terms of payment so there is time to negotiate with the agency. That's why I'm on here looking for a bit of advice...
    Thanks
    for starters I think you can discount uk Freelance rates , rates differ greatly If you are going the agency route you can expect to get less than images given to straight to the customer thats just a taken..

you will have to take into account wht the images are and what they will be used for .

Social and PR covers a vast area .. But i think you will be made an offer from the agency and that will be take it or leave if offer and expect to be shocked at their fee.

It will always be in their favor , if it takes alot of time to do the job I guess it would be a fee per pic, ...if its a quick job they might try you per hr , Me I work on a per pic fee and just settle for some you win and some you lose and if its regular jobs it works out .

I also retain full copyright but allow them one reprint of same photo for free as sometimes in social shots a person might die or something happens and the paper needs to rerun a pic - has only happened once,

I also get paid for prints from jobs coverd that people might want-
    one print recently made me € 250 . These are all things that really should be sorted before you agree to do any work for papers agency clubs but good luck with the job and NEVER be afraid to talk about money to people they expect it!!!!

• Advertisement

Just seen PCPHOTOS comments wrong name no name wrong title means no money and maybe no more jobs buy a dictaphone ask people to spell funny sounding names saves headaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

damiendar wrote: »
    Just seen PCPHOTOS comments wrong name no name wrong title means no money and maybe no more jobs buy a dictaphone ask people to spell funny sounding names saves headaches

Man! Ever hear of punctuation? Your post is so hard to read, just sayin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hugh_C wrote: »

Photographers don't need punctuation, that's what journalists are for :D

Hugh_C wrote: »

Funny sry it stressed your brain so much.... you must be an editior

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Photographers don't need punctuation, that's what journalists are for :D

No, that's what sub editors are for;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭abulense

All very helpful information - thanks everyone. I suppose it's a matter of negotiating the best deal for yourself and doing your best so that you get get asked to do another job...

Thats it in a nutshell, and the best of luck.

Advertisement