Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Theme for a website

Options
  • 06-12-2010 10:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi, there,
    Christmas is coming. So every website is going to change Christmas web style.
    I have looked into meteor.ie. They have a simple but quite good style for Christmas. And I have done something new for my own website for the Christmas. Here is the screen capture. Screenshot-www.ndsgamezone.com - Nintendo DS,TF-MicroSD,.png
    Have a look and feel free to post some feedback. Do you think it is ok or not? If most people say ok, i will confirm it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Don't know about you... but I'm sick of snow at this stage! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

en.r4cart wrote: »
    Hi, there,
    Christmas is coming. So every website is going to change Christmas web style.
    I have looked into meteor.ie. They have a simple but quite good style for Christmas. And I have done something new for my own website for the Christmas. Here is the screen capture. Screenshot-www.ndsgamezone.com - Nintendo DS,TF-MicroSD,.png
    Have a look and feel free to post some feedback. Do you think it is ok or not? If most people say ok, i will confirm it.

Sweet lord... Is that Comic Sans I see on the header? Anyway it's quite ugly (the font) and the bevelling/embossing is dreadful, it also looks like it was just plastered onto the page - remove it completely, it's redundant - the snow and icicles get the xmas message across. It would be quite nice without it.

My only other criticism is the amount of snow falling makes it look busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

cormee wrote: »
    Sweet lord... Is that Comic Sans I see on the header? Anyway it's quite ugly (the font) and the bevelling/embossing is dreadful, it also looks like it was just plastered onto the page - remove it completely, it's redundant - the snow and icicles get the xmas message across. It would be quite nice without it.

My only other criticism is the amount of snow falling makes it look busy.

Thanks a lot.

Do you mean remove the words "merry christmas" ? here is the screen capture again Screenshot-www.ndsgamezone.com| Genuine R4 DS,R4 SDHC,R4i SDHC,R4i GOLD,Nintendo DS,TF-MicroSD,S.png, or click here

And why do you think "comic sans MS" is ugly?
    I think it is fine as it is quite different with the other fonts.

tomED wrote: »
    Don't know about you... but I'm sick of snow at this stage! :P

Could you explain your reasons please?

Thanks a lot.

Do you mean remove the words "merry christmas" ? here is the screen capture again Screenshot-www.ndsgamezone.com| Genuine R4 DS,R4 SDHC,R4i SDHC,R4i GOLD,Nintendo DS,TF-MicroSD,S.png, or click here

And why do you think "comic sans MS" is ugly?
    I think it is fine as it is quite different with the other fonts.

Yes it's much better without it.

There are religions devoted to the hatred of Comic Sans...on a commercial website it's the equivalent of wearing a Barney costume to a funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yay please implement snow using javascript that was written for a geocities-esque site with code that's so inefficient that it crashes every browser :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can I ask that your next screenshots not be given such obvious keyword bait names? I want this forum used for reviews, not Pagerank.

Yes it's much better without it.

There are religions devoted to the hatred of Comic Sans...on a commercial website it's the equivalent of wearing a Barney costume to a funeral.

Thanks.

To the comic sans font, i didn't know this story, I am sorry...

yay please implement snow using javascript that was written for a geocities-esque site with code that's so inefficient that it crashes every browser :pac:.

Good idea. Thanks a million.
    I will try that you recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Could you explain your reasons please?

That was a joke, related to the amount of snow we've had here in Dublin, I'm sick of snow now!

• Advertisement

Good idea. Thanks a million.
    I will try that you recommend.

If it could follow your cursor as it moved around the screen it would be dead cool. :D

tomED wrote: »
    That was a joke, related to the amount of snow we've had here in Dublin, I'm sick of snow now!

Me neither.
    The road is too icy to walk,
    and what the worse, water supply at my house is cut off from 7pm-7am next two days.

If it could follow your cursor as it moved around the screen it would be dead cool. :D

Yes, I made it!
    Now It looks much cool after adding snowflakes dropping on the homepage of my site. Here is the screen capture [ snip ]
    or click here NDS Gamezone website to see the full experience.

HOW TO DO
    Google "snow falling JavaScript", and it comes a lot of code samples on snowflakes.
    I choosed this one "http://www.peters1.dk/webtools/javascript/sne.php?sprog=en"
    Follow the steps. That is it.
    If you don't konw how, just reply to this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

en.r4cart I think you may have missed the sarcasm regarding the snow falling. It's similar to the Comic Sans and going to a funeral in a Barney Costume as Cormee said but think of it as also bringing a machine gun and opening fire on the mourners.

mewso wrote: »
    en.r4cart I think you may have missed the sarcasm regarding the snow falling. It's similar to the Comic Sans and going to a funeral in a Barney Costume as Cormee said but think of it as also bringing a machine gun and opening fire on the mourners.

Sorry, I don't quite understand.
    Is Snow falling connected with death or funeral?

Do you have any idea? I just want to make my site looks much better, when a visitor comes to my site, he would say "It is Christmas time now" immediately.

Could you give more suggestions? Thanks a lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well what I mean is that the Snow falling would probably be considered a bit tacky these days as is Comic Sans. That script has been around for a long time. I remember my boss insisting I put it on our website many years ago. Having said all that it doesn't really look that terrible really. It's just you'll probably see it everywhere.

Well what I mean is that the Snow falling would probably be considered a bit tacky these days as is Comic Sans. That script has been around for a long time. I remember my boss insisting I put it on our website many years ago. Having said all that it doesn't really look that terrible really. It's just you'll probably see it everywhere.

Actually I am not a professional web designer. It is just my habit.
    Could you show me what websites designed by you ? Thanks for your reply....

I don't think he's questioning your ability to design, I think he's just answering your questions.

Your design looks quite nice, very good for an amateur and a lot better than some people who label themselves professional web designers.

JavaScript effects like the falling snow, along with Comic Sans and Under Construction .gifs were very popular on Geocities-type websites about 10 years ago. A lot of people who now laugh at them, myself included, used them with great enthusiasm back then.

...but I never used Comic Sans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm not going to ask again. If you want to post screenshots ensure that the names are not keyword bait.

I don't think he's questioning your ability to design, I think he's just answering your questions.

Your design looks quite nice, very good for an amateur and a lot better than some people who label themselves professional web designers.

JavaScript effects like the falling snow, along with Comic Sans and Under Construction .gifs were very popular on Geocities-type websites about 10 years ago. A lot of people who now laugh at them, myself included, used them with great enthusiasm back then.

...but I never used Comic Sans

Thanks a lot.
    I think the looking of a website is much more important ten years ago.
    Now It is web2.0 time and websites need more functions that we need just like facebook.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to ask again. If you want to post screenshots ensure that the names are not keyword bait.

Sorry, I NEVER mean that.:confused:

I think this forum would better opening the function of image preview....
    If nobody want to do, I could be a volunteer.:P

I'm not a designer at all. I'm a developer. I've dabbled in design but as Cormee says your site looks great. Better than anything I could do. As a developer my interest in design centers very much on standards, accessibility and so on particularly because I work for Local Government (which also means people assume you know diddly).

I'm not a designer at all. I'm a developer. I've dabbled in design but as Cormee says your site looks great. Better than anything I could do. As a developer my interest in design centers very much on standards, accessibility and so on particularly because I work for Local Government (which also means people assume you know diddly).

Thanks for reply.
    I just try to learn more...and more.

By the way, what does a developer exactly do?
    What is the difference between designer and developer?

In simple terms a designer would work on the look and feel of a website while a developer would work on it's functionality. There is plenty of crossover depending on the situation.

In simple terms a designer would work on the look and feel of a website while a developer would work on it's functionality. There is plenty of crossover depending on the situation.
    Yes, I agree.
    What is more, maybe you have to monitor the server(eg,apache server).
    Anyway you have to know everything...

What web programming language are you using as a developer ? Do you have any suggestion on the programming if i want to learn ?

What web programming language are you using as a developer ? Do you have any suggestion on the programming if i want to learn ?

I am an asp.net developer which of course I would recommend but everyone has a preference. You are better off checking a few different technologies out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would recommend php as a development language. I picked it up in college out of class in about 2-3 months. I definitely have a lot more to learn but I found it easy to grasp.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I would recommend php as a development language. I picked it up in college out of class in about 2-3 months. I definitely have a lot more to learn but I found it easy to grasp.
    Thanks a lot.

I think i will choose php programming as my website is developed by php language. So I can modify and improve it while i am studying php programming.

So do you have any book recommended for me please? I am a beginner in php, and I have learned Python programming for few weeks.

• Advertisement

I am going to learn CodeIgniter(a php framework) , any suggestion please.

Advertisement